Author Topic: Michelin Road 5  (Read 14262 times)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: Michelin Road 5
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 11:14:31 pm »
In the dry, I feel more planted with Angel GTs. In the wet, Michelins are wasted on me as I stay almost upright 😁

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 11:38:54 pm »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:41 am »
In the dry, I feel more planted with Angel GTs. In the wet, Michelins are wasted on me as I stay almost upright

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I now have Michelins PR4s - courtesy of the previous owner. They work perfectly OK, but they don't feel quite as nice as Angels.

However, as someone pointed out previously, road riding isn't going to stress any of these tyres - they'll all be pretty damned good compared to say a 1980s Pirelli Phantom. Eek.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 09:57:34 am »
Having changed from worn PR4GTs (7300 miles) for new PR5s, I thought I’d report my completely anecdotal, totally unscientific comparison between the two.

Firstly, the rear PR4GT was down to the limits when changed, but the front probably had another 1000 miles left in it. I prefer to change my tyres as a pair as my time is worth more than the remaining tread on the front thus I don’t want a second trip to the fitters. It also means I can chop and change tyre manufacturers and models without worrying about possible incompatibilities.

The tyres were fitted using the ride in, ride out service at FWR in south London (highly recommended) and cost £255 for the pair.  FWR recommended the PR5 over either the PR4, the PR4GT or the Pirelli Angel GT.

All of my riding on the new tyres has been solo and without luggage. It’s involved a couple of 150 mile round trip commutes, a 270 mile round trip to Birmingham and a couple of blasts down my local favourite lanes.

The PR5s definitely have a lighter feel and are quicker steering. They’re very similar in feel to the Road Tec 01’s.

Wet weather grip is excellent. (But so were the PR4GTs). There has been no feeling of lack of grip at any speed on any wet road I’ve ridden. Although, I’m a bit of a “big girls blouse” when it comes to wet weather riding so I don’t push tyres too hard.

There is no suggestion of white lining in any way, even crossing and re-crossing some very raised, wet, solid white lines at oblique angles.

They give complete confidence in the dry to the point of allowing some pretty serious angles of lean and accepting some substantial doses of throttle while cranked over. This was also true of the PR4GTs and the Road Tec 01s, both allowing removal of the chicken strips, and I’ve no doubt that, given the right road, the chicken strips would go on the PR5s. However, the feel of the PR5s is slightly better.

All in all, very good so far. Assuming they last more than 7000 miles and don’t start reacting to white lines until well-worn then these will be my new favourite tyres. Recommended!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2015 Motorsport
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 10:31:51 pm »
Thanks for the update on the PR5's, my PR4 GT's are also coming to the end of their life so was looking at the new PR5's, but was put off by the Michelin site not mentioning the 5 as a suitable replacement and pushing the Power RS as the 'best' option, so your review has swung it for me PR 5 it is, thanks again. Ps anybody tried the Power RS? Opinions?

Steve.
Steve Joyce

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 11:24:05 am »
Something I've noticed since fitting the PR5s, my speedo now exactly matches my sat. nav.!  Before, with PR4s, my speedo would, at the start of the tyres life, be about 2% to 3% optimistic. Now, tested to speeds up to 90mph (private road officer, honestly!) the speedo and the sat. nav. match exactly once I get the bike to a constant speed. The PR5s must have a slightly larger rolling radius!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:05:58 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 05:35:46 pm »
Thanks for the in depth report on the new PR5's David.
Loved 2's, 3's, and 4's so 5's it is for my next boot change.
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 12:57:38 pm »
Something I've noticed since fitting the PR5s, my speedo now exactly matches my sat. nav.!  Before, with PR4s, my speedo would, at the start of the tyres life, be about 2% to 3% optimistic. Now, tested to speeds up to 90mph (private road officer, honestly!) the speedo and the sat. nav. match exactly once I get the bike to a constant speed. The PR5s must have a slightly larger rolling radius!

As a follow-on from this, I've also noticed that the round trip daily journey to work and back, that was consistently 151.3 miles (give or take the odd tenth of a mile) has, since the PR5s, been 148.6 miles per day!!! I can't say that I've noticed the journey being shorter, or the time to/from work being quicker, but any saving is worth having!!! :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »
My alcohol addled brain can't determine if this means a greater or a lesser rolling radius...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:55 pm »
Less rotations because of a greater radius.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:53 am »

As a follow-on from this, I've also noticed that the round trip daily journey to work and back, that was consistently 151.3 miles (give or take the odd tenth of a mile) has, since the PR5s, been 148.6 miles per day!!! I can't say that I've noticed the journey being shorter, or the time to/from work being quicker, but any saving is worth having!!! :D

Does that mean you claim less on mileage expenses? :)
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 10:35:42 am »

Does that mean you claim less on mileage expenses? :)

:D

The company owns the bike so pays for all costs, regardless of miles.

Coully

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 11:13:19 am »
Had metzelers on my vfr750, was never too fussed with them, always did like for like at tyre changes , then just before selling put on PR3, and WOW, maybe it was in my head but they felt great.
VFR800 came with bridgestones on her and always felt like i was tip toeing on them in the wet, stuck on PR3s again and seemed better.

Cant recall what i have on the K12 just now but seem ok, but i think come next tyre change , i know what i'll be sticking on

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 07:41:18 pm »
hmm, went for the Metzeler Roadtecs 01 again. Fitted on Monday and always feel plante don these especially in wet.
Mark Barbour

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2019, 03:03:11 pm »
I'm getting Metzeler Roadtec 01 things fitted again this month. If Don Plante lets me :P
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022