Author Topic: How not to service a K1300S  (Read 2422 times)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
How not to service a K1300S
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:25:53 am »
I got my '14 plate K1300S a few weeks ago, just in time for a big service before I go to Spain in 2 weeks.

So far, I've found a few things the previous owner didn't quite get right...:

• Brake Fluid used instead of mineral oil in the clutch hydraulics, despite the warning on the reservoir cap!
  • Rear drive overfilled - around 350ml of gear oil drained off. Refilled with the normal 180ml.
  • Front fork pinch bolts loose - in fact, loose doesn't do it justice - they were both 3 full turns out from seating, and about to fall out!

I can almost see how the wrong fluid was used in the clutch - brake fluid has been used in hydraulic clutches for years. Even the rear drive oil might make sense - if they used the upper aperture as a filler hole, rather than just doing everything through the ABS sensor hole. But the fork pinch bolts? And to think I rode this thing 50 miles before I started servicing it...

Needless to say, I'm going over the rest of the bike with a fine toothcomb before I get on the ferry to Spain. Some form of breakdown cover might be in order too...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How not to service a K1300S
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:01:28 am »

Needless to say, I'm going over the rest of the bike with a fine toothcomb before I get on the ferry to Spain. Some form of breakdown cover might be in order too...

Maybe consider the BMW warranty? It's expensive (£370-£400sh), but covers you for UK & European recovery if you buy the full verson.
And peace of mind for the rest of the year too, in terms of the rest of the bike - radiator and EAS suspension excepted (30k miles for ESA).

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:13:33 am »
Jings, well found....

Great value EU cover = https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:49:05 am »
  • Front fork pinch bolts loose - in fact, loose doesn't do it justice - they were both 3 full turns out from seating, and about to fall out!

Gulp and double gulp!

What about the pinch bolt lock bolts, the tiny ones underneath that seize regularly and shear if you are not very careful.

Also, if you have ABS, only the right hand pinch bolt should ever be slackened to remove the front wheel. If you have ABS and the left bolt is loose then you need to double-check the setting of the ABS sensor ring.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:42:18 am »
I'll pass on the extended warranty. I know it's contrary to popular thinking, but in the 10 years I had my K12S, I wouldn't have used it once, so that's a good £3k I've got in the bank. Besides, there isn't much I can't fix myself.

Brian - thanks for the heads up on the ABS ring - thankfully, it's only the pinch bolt (the one that shears) that was loose - the ABS spacer sleeve was and still is in the right place!

I forgot to mention last time - worst bit of all, the previous owner was a police force. Makes me wonder how many of their other BMW bikes are wandering around incorrectly serviced.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 04:21:57 pm »
Are you not tempted to the let the depot service manager know of your findings?
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 07:24:15 pm »
For the safety of the poor plods who are riding these things, yes I'd like to let them know. On the other hand, I've no idea who to speak to, and they'll probably think they know better than me anyway. I haven't really got the time either - I've got to finish finding and correcting their mistakes before I take it on a 3000 mile trip!

Happy to go with popular opinion on this one though - what's everyone think - be nice and tell them, or keep quiet in the hope that their bikes will break down whilst chasing us?!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »
Stop a police car, it's great fun, especially if you start with 'Now then sir, do you have any idea why I've stopped you?'

Explain the predicament and ask for details of the local servicing depot. They can spread the word. Simples!

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 06:46:49 am »
I think I would make an effort to contact them despite the time constraints. You could be responsible for saving someone's life or not as the case may be.  ;)