Author Topic: PR5 Feedback  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: PR5 Feedback
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 12:26:44 pm »
When I fitted the riser plates I left belly pan off pending fitment of full akro system.  Planned to do it this weekend but Motogp got in the way so I put belly pan back on.  I then discovered an issue:  With bike sitting leant over on sidestand (no extender) the back of the pan touches the back tyre.  If I put a block under the stand to match normal angle it doesnt touch but its close. When I sit on the bike it's clear but not a massive gap, about the thickness of a hand.

I'd worry about it clouting coming off a big bump. Is this clearance ok to ride with, anyone with experience of riser plates?

I can't see your image (I can now and I don't like what I see) but you obviously don't have the stock belly-pan. The stock one comes nowhere near the rear tyre with over 200mm clearance at the sides, and there is no material in the centre section of the pan rearwards of the engine.

It all sounds way too dodgy for my liking and I would be getting a stock belly-pan on there before I rode it.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 04:06:40 pm »
Ah right you are Bri!

And yeah race, i'd suggest in focus and more photos too :P. I appreciate the block paving focus, and hope you haven't been using any non biodegradable chemicals to keep it looking so nice, but that kind of thing is for the sub-forum "Block Paving Appreciation Society" which is starting soon :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 04:43:04 pm »
I'll take belly pan off tonight and take a picture, it certainly looks stock, its even got the heat shield fitted.  Maybe it's a pre-K40 one (my bike is 2015 Motorsport), if geometry on later bikes is different possibly BMW changed bellypan to suit.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 05:18:21 pm »
I'm confused. The belly pan should be a long way from the rear wheel.
Here's a standard Motorsport one (albeit with centre stand cut-out, which doesn't make it shorter, as far as I know):

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 12:40:18 am »
Been looking at photographs of standard K1300's without centre stand cut out and the back edge of the belly-pan is bloody close to the tyre.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_sqegZREoy9vBfqAnXYtw_TiqocuCxu/view?usp=sharing

Looking at the angle of my own swinging arm its apparent how jacked up my bike is (steeper than Power Cup bikes), no wonder it steers now. Hello dremel, my old friend..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/102fQZTRMLM-ImS5FZ44btfpUIoPY18Uq/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:45:10 am by armstrongracer »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 09:21:49 am »
Yup - you're right, I'm wrong!  :-[

I never understood what use a bellypan was anyway (other than catch the sump contents on a racebike). 

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 01:21:14 pm »
Er, yes! Talking tripe as usual.

It's so long since I was under a stock belly-pan I had forgotten how much gets discarded when you do the cuts.

So back to square one and I wouldn't ride it like that. Take a jig-saw to it and all will be well...

And Richard, you are a heathen. It's yer aesthetics and yer aerodynamics innit! And 'maybe' keeping the shite off the dog-bones. Although that never worked out well...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 01:44:05 pm »
And Richard, you are a heathen. It's yer aesthetics and yer aerodynamics innit! And 'maybe' keeping the shite off the dog-bones. Although that never worked out well...

Arsefetticks be buggered! I quite like the very rare K1200R Sport, i.e. half fairing, and no belly pan:

If there was a K1300 version, I would have bought it, and saved £100s, possibly £1000s.
I vaguely remember someone (Chris' mate?) converted a nice K1300R to wear a Sport half fairing. Sweet.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 02:17:25 pm »
Saw a nice metallic blue one in Dublin last year, looked epic.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 02:43:01 pm »
First K sport I looked at was over in Peterborough, went over to have a look cuz it was on eBay..best secondhand bike I have seen with every bell and whistle and got murdered on the bidding, week later another turned up a lot closer to home...in the car to have a look and bought it on the spot, had it 11 years or is that 12?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 06:16:15 pm »

Arsefetticks be buggered! I quite like the very rare K1200R Sport, i.e. half fairing, and no belly pan:

If there was a K1300 version, I would have bought it, and saved £100s, possibly £1000s.
I vaguely remember someone (Chris' mate?) converted a nice K1300R to wear a Sport half fairing. Sweet.

It was and he still has it.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 08:30:42 pm »
It was and he still has it.

Possibly not for long:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202103240547053?model=K1300R

3k miles!
Lovely.

The only thing I'd probably miss is the K mirrors.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 08:41:27 pm »
Quick text tells me he’s gone GS....takes all sorts  ::) but thats a lot of motorcycle and hard work for that money.