Author Topic: K1300s Tyre Dilemma  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Ratman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
K1300s Tyre Dilemma
« on: July 23, 2020, 07:39:29 am »
So, I’ve had my K1300s now for seven weeks and loving every minute of it. Obviously when you buy a second-hand bike you buy the tyres that come fitted. My bike has an Avon Spirit ST up front with an Avon Storm 3D xm at the rear.  There’s plenty of life left in the rear but the front is getting close. Performance wise they seem fine, although the general consensus here in this forum is that they’re not the best for the K13.
So, my question, or dilemma is this; do I just swap out the front for another Avon, then do the same for the rear when its time is up? Or do I replace both now with some more exotic rubber?  The K13 is a Sports Tourer, with perhaps more emphasis on touring. My style of riding is more on the sporty side.  I’m 6’ 4” and 18 stone fully kitted out.  Once in a blue moon I may take the lady wife on the back, but as for two up with luggage, that’ll never happen. Any advice gratefully received.
Having over 200 BHP is like having a combine harvester to mow your front lawn.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: K1300s Tyre Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 07:45:45 am »
I am a big fan of Avons I used several sets of Storm Ultra 2s and I've had the Spirit STs both fine tyres. My tyre of choice these days are the Pirelli Angel GT (A) while they are still available and then I will move to the Angel GT 2 (A). This is more to do with mileage than performance. The performance on both is far above my capabilities.
I'm not sure I would mix tread patterns though.

Offline Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:52:48 am »
For what I'm reading on this forum and elsewhere, the Pirelli Angel GT (A) is probably what I'll go for, front and rear. That's if I can still source some. Not The Angel GT 2 though, as some reviewers are reporting wobble issues due to the new continuous rain grooves.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:06:45 am »
Richard has Angel GT 2s and he's had no problems, I would have no hesitation using the GT 2s. Don't let one or two reports put you off. Apart from me occasionally, people don't come on and tell you they have no problems and everything is fine. There are many many more happy with the GT 2s than are unhappy.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:39:49 am »
Based on the OP’s post,i’d ditch both tyres the only complication is Michelin Road O5 or Power RS??,I run both options on various bikes,but going on what was posted RS would by choice unless you are off to the SoF  :)

Fitted at Wheel House Tyres of course....

Offline Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:17:44 am »
Just had a quick look on Tyreleader, Angel GT A Spec - Front £91.49, Rear £122.18. As apposed to GT 2s £106.09 Front and £141.08 Rear. Michelin R5s are  F. £107.78 and R. £150.08. Power RSs are F. £107.18 and R. £210.19. So £231.67 v £247.17 v £257.86 v £317.37. Not a lot in it money wise for the Pirelli GTs and R5s. Anyone got any recommendations for local fitting to me? Evesham Worcestershire.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 09:33:09 am »
Not my part of the country but I'm sure someone will be along with a recommendation soon. You are between Brian and Richard.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 09:36:08 am »
Richard has Angel GT 2s and he's had no problems, I would have no hesitation using the GT 2s. Don't let one or two reports put you off. Apart from me occasionally, people don't come on and tell you they have no problems and everything is fine. There are many many more happy with the GT 2s than are unhappy.

I have several problems and I am not fine!

Also, Oxford BMW? You definitely won't get chipped alloys like the chap in the other thread did elsewhere :).
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
Keep taking the tablets Matt and go and lay down in a darkened room  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 09:56:18 am »
> I’m 6’ 4” and 18 stone fully kitted out.

I hear that is the perfect size for a gentleman.
I know someone who is 6'4", 18st, and has tested both Angel GT and GT2 for about 20k miles. Me.

I ride reasonably fast, but not balls out (I'd be on a S1000RR if I did).
If you're of the same mentality, then you'll find Angels work very nicely - neutral, nice roll into corners, and don't change characteristics through their life, other than the inevitable squaring of the rear / triangulation of the front. Either type is v good - supposedly the 2s will last longer, but I haven't proved that yet (see other thread).

Michelin are also good, I've had less experience on them (7k miles), but that would be my second choice.

In terms where to get fitted, I ride from Banbury to Wheelhouse in Coleshill - they're that good, and it is only once a year, roughly.
Evesham -> Wheelhouse is about the same, and quite a pleasant pootle. They're not as cheap as online, but then again I like their attention to detail. They've always correctly advised me on tyre type/variation, and spotted wheel problems too - something you can't buy online.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:47:43 am by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 10:08:26 am »
You'll get the funny accents up there! Sorry Chris, I can't help my prejudice after growing up around there :P
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:23:27 am »
I can't comment on the Angel GT/GT2s as I never used them but I had great results from my PR5s. They lasted over 7,000 miles, worked really well in the wet, gave food feel and feedback and were confidence inspiring enough to result in the removal of chicken strips. :D They were good enough on my K1300S that I now have PR5s fitted to my H2 SX and am very happy with them.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 12:23:03 pm »
I'm not a great tyre make swapper and have been on PR3/4's for ages. It will be PR5's next time round. Just too good in the wet for me to swap.

And every time I see the size of the contact patches on bike tyres (in reality, smaller than the contact patches on my slippers) then I wince and pay for the best for my needs. Haggling over a tenner on a tyre is stupid when you pay whatever the man asks when you need fuel and that is way more than once every 7 thousand miles.

And I'll be taking a pootle over to Wheelhouse when the time comes. They are not close at an hour away but I don't like small places for tyre swaps. Big places have the staff, the training, the equipment and the turnover; which is rubbish if you want a pair of PR2's. And if they don't have a separate, dedicated bike tyre bay I never even consider them.

I used Micheldever Tyres in, well, Micheldever, for 30 years prior to moving to the sticks, for both cars and bikes and never had anything but excellent service, advice and problem resolution. And they were nearly always the cheapest around or would price match.

When the box needed new tyres at the beginning of lockdown I took a trip to Pro-Tyre in Bristol, now part of the Micheldever Group. They ordered the tyres in for me and rang to book me in. All went well (although they are no Micheldever) until the return run up the A417 when the car was all over the thankfully empty road. It was bone dry and I thought I had scrubbed the release agent off the tyres on the roundabout outside the tyre place so I was well confused. Then I hit the back of a couple of trundling trucks and that was the end of the fun so I pulled into a local filling station to check the pressures. They were spot on. Oh well!

Later that day I went out to clean the wheels which were covered in that soap they use to fit the tyres  and never clean off for you. I was on the second wheel when I noticed that the yellow spot on the tyre wasn't in line with the valve. And then, to my utter amazement, I discovered that the tyres were from the budget end of the Falcon range and not from the top of the range...which kind of explained the road-holding.

Two days later I was back in Bristol to have the correct tyres fitted. They were good about it and gave me a free MoT for next year as recompense for my inconvenience but in 30 years at Micheldever nothing remotely like that ever happened.

Maybe I'll pop over to Wheelhouse in the car next time  :)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 03:32:40 pm »
Having used metzeler pirelli and Michelin on my k1200s (all commented on in the k1200s thread) I am on pr5s on both the k12s and k13s. The cold and wet grip is better than anything else. The warm and and dry grip is equalled or possibly bettered by the pirelli but the pr5s last (much) longer. Previous michelin versions pr4 didnt like atall, preceding pr3s a lot better.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 03:56:03 pm »
I never got on with the PR4s Martin they used to make a lunge for any imperfections in the road, I haven't used Michelins since.