Author Topic: For sale: 56 Plate K1200S with thrown conrod  (Read 2633 times)

Elite Evil

For sale: 56 Plate K1200S with thrown conrod
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »
So why did I stop coming here? Mostly because I crashed my K12S into a ditch at about 10mph, riding in the frost because my alternator on the astra was broken and I just wasn't in the mood for motorbikes for a while. Not too much damage from that, put on new clip on bar, indicators and screen but by then I wasn't in the habit of coming on forums and the repairs that needed doing were adding up and the bike wasn't owners club mint.

I spent £2000 on it this year - new timing chain, clutch, valve clearances, fix blowing exhaust and new radiator (not 100% sure if this was ever done tbh). Sounded good as new, but within 100 miles I was broken down on A140. Obviously this was nothing to do with the work the garage did on it, just a terrible coincidence.   >:( >:( >:(:-X :-X :-X

Will need a whole new engine, just seeing if it worth more to anyone on here than breakers.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: For sale: 56 Plate K1200S with thrown conrod
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »
Ouch! Sorry to hear your bad luck.

If nothing else, the new radiator has to be worth around £500-ish.
You might make more breaking it yourself.

>  the bike wasn't owners club mint
The best bikes are the well used ones!

Elite Evil

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 10:54:53 pm »
Ouch! Sorry to hear your bad luck.

If nothing else, the new radiator has to be worth around £500-ish.
You might make more breaking it yourself.

>  the bike wasn't owners club mint
The best bikes are the well used ones!

I just fell out of love with it when I crashed. I was going to sell it and get a zzr1400 but the kawasaki felt very ordinary in comparison to the bmw and the speedo failed on my test ride (it only had 800 miles on it - pretty disappointing). When they only offered me £1300 for mine I thought I would rather get it fixed and keep it until it broke, which I figured would be a lot longer than it was lol.

I bought an SV1000 with about 10000 miles on it off a friend of friend for a good price and touch wood nothing wrong with that.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:43:49 am »
That is a mess. Did it let go in a big way?

I would have thought that the best way to dispose of it would be to break it yourself. Either that or put another lump in.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:56:04 pm »
I might be wrong but I'm sure this is the first time I've heard of a K throwing a rod.

James Sherlock and Motorworks will have good motors you could drop in. Costas did just this with one from JS...

OTOH I think everyone will understand your reluctance to start over.

Good luck with the sale.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 07:05:07 pm »
Couple of engines on ebay at the moment from Sherlocks.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 07:54:03 am »
Problem here is the economics behind it - even in good shape, the bike is barely worth £2500, judging by sold listings on ebay.

Asking price for a used engine is around £1400. Lets say you buy one for £1200, that’s pretty much half the cost of the finished bike. Add on the time and effort it takes to change the engine, that’s got to be a good 8-10 hours at least. Factor in the chances of stuff going wrong - will the new engine work etc? The reward at the end of this process is slim.

If it were me, I’d put it on ebay and let it find it’s own way in the world.

Good luck whichever way you deal with this nightmare!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:18:13 pm by stevel »

Elite Evil

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:25 pm »
That is a mess. Did it let go in a big way?

It went kind "clattery" and oil pressure light came on at the same time. I put it in neutral, turned the engine off and coasted round the rest of the roundabout. As you can probably guess, it threw out a lot of oil. Didn't hear a bang though.

It could be put back on the road, and the frame has an MOT, but I don't want to deal with it and just want to cut my losses and move on.

Like you all say, breaking it myself would get more money back but then I will have the parts sitting about until they sell. I am thinking I will probably find what breaker pays the most, then stick it on ebay for that +ebay fees and see if I get any more that way.

Elite Evil

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:57:57 pm »
I might be wrong but I'm sure this is the first time I've heard of a K throwing a rod.

I think you must be mistaken, president of the owners club, owner of multiple Ks and reader of all posts. It can definitely happen. The garage that doesn't want to pay me any money told me so.  ::) ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 11:04:26 pm »
Well, they would wouldn't they  ;D