Author Topic: Centre stand? Comfort seat?  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Centre stand? Comfort seat?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:35 pm »
I've never understood why ALL bikes have only one side stand and on the same side.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 11:23:05 pm »
I've never understood why ALL bikes have only one side stand and on the same side.

Especially when that sidestand leaves you on the 'wrong' side when you step off when on the continent. Fine for the UK though.

I know - have two and they auto-extend! How does that sound, Brian?

Waaaay off topic. Sorry.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 05:30:52 am »

That's an easy one to answer: Weight and space. Have you looked at just how small, light and optimised sports bikes are these days?

It's no just the weight of the stand but the strengthening of the mounting points to support the bike (with rider and pillion because someone will sit on the bike on the stand) while it rocks backwards and forwards on the stand. It also has to be mounted in a way the doesn't interfere with cornering while still having a suitable lever to ensure the bike can be put on the stand.

Gone are the days of roadside tube replacement so, for most bikers, there really is no justification for a centerstand. A set of cheap paddock stands allow home wheel replacement and chain maintenance so, for most, a centre stand serves no purpose.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:05 am »

That's an easy one to answer: Weight and space. Have you looked at just how small, light and optimised sports bikes are these days?

It's no just the weight of the stand but the strengthening of the mounting points to support the bike (with rider and pillion because someone will sit on the bike on the stand) while it rocks backwards and forwards on the stand. It also has to be mounted in a way the doesn't interfere with cornering while still having a suitable lever to ensure the bike can be put on the stand.

Gone are the days of roadside tube replacement so, for most bikers, there really is no justification for a centerstand. A set of cheap paddock stands allow home wheel replacement and chain maintenance so, for most, a centre stand serves no purpose.

That is NO excuse and you know it  8)

Not all bikes are pared down rockets. A second sidestand would weigh no more than my lunch, even with the mountings.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 10:13:30 am »

Especially when that sidestand leaves you on the 'wrong' side when you step off when on the continent. Fine for the UK though.

Waaaay off topic. Sorry.

Oh, they exist Richard. I often used to see a disabled / vertically challenged rider in Wales whose bike had two extending arms with wheels that came down when he stopped or trickled along. We just don't need the wheels.

And for those of us who get off on the high side of the bike, we are always on the wrong side in this country.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 05:14:45 pm »

Waaaay off topic. Sorry.

That got my attention. €50k? Hmm. Wife hates it. Never mind

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 10:51:43 pm »
When I did some of the early courses at the Nürburgring there used to be a whole group of Ecomobiles led by their designer Arnold Wagner.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 11:30:52 pm »
They look great leant over that far.
I'm guessing that with some bodywork around you the fear of falling over might be decreased.

If they do go over, do they land on the retracted wheels, without whacking the body? It looks like it.

howlindawg

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 05:04:36 pm »
You'll lose a couple of fingers following the stupid BMW instructions but it doesn't affect your hamd signals  ::)

Give this a try next time.
Bolt up the stand fully and attach one end of the spring.
Now bend the spring and insert ha-penny coins or thin washers between the opened coils.
Now let the spring relax and bend it the other way to add coins on the other side.

This extends the spring enough to allow you to just slip the second end into place.

Then pop the bike onto the stand and all the coins/washers will drop free as the spring is extended.

howlindawg

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 05:12:49 pm »
And I was wondering about a “ comfort” seat, power bronze or top sellerie from France?

I've been using a Sargent for the last couple of years and love it for distance work, however the stock seat allows you to move around a bit more and I prefer it for trackdays and 'spirited' riding.  :-X