Author Topic: Akra db killer removal  (Read 7598 times)

Offline DoctorW02

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S and R
Akra db killer removal
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:44 am »
Hi. Im Andrew and new ti this forum. Have just taken delivery of a K13S to add to my R and per above, want the db out!! Any ideas re best way to remove the little spot weld on the retaining bolt - dremel i guess (dont have!) Would tapping it with a flat head screw driver work d'you think?
Any advice most appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Akra db killer removal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:42:03 am »
Make sure it's the right thing to do, many have removable baffles and run with them out for a while and quickly put them back in.

Offline DoctorW02

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:17 am »
Fair point - just want to check out the different note and volume.
Cheers.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:29:59 am »
As far as I know the bolt should just come out with a little brute force to shear the weld but I've never taken mine out for one very good reason; TomL took his out and promptly went mad and deaf. He put it back in a couple of days later...

Richard (richtea) discovered his very noisy, new-to-him K13S had no dB killer fitted. Dealer supplied one and hey-ho, peace and relative quiet was restored to Abingdonshire, Newburyshire, Miltonkeynesshire etc. etc.

I understand your inquisitiveness but in your position I would leave well alone and give the neighbours some peace and quiet.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:34:23 am »
As far as I know the bolt should just come out with a little brute force to shear the weld but I've never taken mine out for one very good reason; TomL took his out and promptly went mad and deaf. He put it back in a couple of days later...

Richard (richtea) discovered his very noisy, new-to-him K13S had no dB killer fitted. Dealer supplied one and hey-ho, peace and relative quiet was restored to Abingdonshire, Newburyshire, Miltonkeynesshire etc. etc.

I understand your inquisitiveness but in your position I would leave well alone and give the neighbours some peace and quiet.
If you're looking for more noise you will find it. On the cost of some power loss at high rpms.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 12:02:09 pm »
Definitely no hammer !!!!! bin there, done that F***ed it !!!!

Best regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline DoctorW02

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:54:36 pm »
Thanks for replies all, much appreciated😎

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 01:10:37 pm »

Apart from when I'm in Abingdonshire or Newburyshires!

I had a terrible awful loud hilarious/upsetting exhaust on the trip earlier this year, however I've since gone back to the Akra. I do however continue to go without the baffle. But then I'm on the M4 every day and currently doing a lot of slow traffic work where I'm sticking with to be heard is to be noticed.

I take the same approach in meetings, except less (but obviously more than zero) pops and bangs.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline DoctorW02

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »
Thanks again. I have an SC project can on my K1300R  and that's pretty loud but not obnoxious. I would think the akra being that much bigger should just produce a nice deep note with a bit mire noise!?
Here's hoping!!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 08:48:10 pm »
I can confirm an SC Project is the louder of the two - by far. About a villages worth.
Right, Matt?  ;D ;D ;D

In which case, you'll probably like the baffle out of the Akra.
But the bloke behind might not.  ::)

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 11:50:43 pm »
Does the SC project exhaust fit straight on the 1300R without any mods ?
No problems only Solutions

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:59 am »
From memory on my bike a good quality open ended spanner on the two sides of the nut was enough to brake the weld, as others have said it is loud with it out and I have it like that about 2 weeks of the year:-) Peter

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:35 pm »
Must admit that I feel a bit of a hooligan when I first take the baffle out but the fun soon wears off and I'm always pleased to refit it. Must be old age.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 12:50:30 pm »
A loud exhaust will get you noticed, that can be a good or bad thing depending who you get noticed by  ???

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 01:36:38 pm »
Must admit that I feel a bit of a hooligan when I first take the baffle out but the fun soon wears off and I'm always pleased to refit it. Must be old age.

Having followed Mark on the Old Gits trip to the Picos when he had the DB killer removed on his Motorsport,  I was very glad when it was refitted.  It's really not a considerate or social thing to do.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org