Author Topic: Motorcycle navigation systems rating  (Read 12519 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Motorcycle navigation systems rating
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:21:22 am »
Garmin Zumo normally come with a car mount which has a built in speaker.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:13 am »
My Tomtom V5 was the premium kit which has a lock on the bike mount and comes with a suction cup for the car with built in speaker.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 11:47:50 am »
Ah, I see. Via the car mount thingy. Thanks for the inputs.  :)

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »
I own a Garmin 390LM and find it just fine. I chose it over the TomTom offerings because, so far as I can tell, the TomToms don't offer route actually travelled recording for later download. Such a useful feature for those who don't bother to plan in advance or keep forgetting to look at the thing (I travel with the SatNav sound off when with my partner on her bike as I cannot hear both hear and the Garmin with our Interphone F4 comms).
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 04:19:45 pm »
Is that uselessness an un-documented feature of the Tom Tom or the Interphone, or is it a settings thing. Normally with intercomms, voice takes priority over music and sat nav takes priority over both, but only while it is speaking at you.

Brian (who doesn't take pillions so it isn't a problem, but if he did he could hear both on his Autocom/Garmin set up)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 04:26:58 pm »
I own a Garmin 390LM and find it just fine. I chose it over the TomTom offerings because, so far as I can tell, the TomToms don't offer route actually travelled recording for later download. Such a useful feature for those who don't bother to plan in advance or keep forgetting to look at the thing (I travel with the SatNav sound off when with my partner on her bike as I cannot hear both hear and the Garmin with our Interphone F4 comms).
The Tomtom does have a recording facility. Although I must say I don't use it much.

Offline brian63

• Ex K owner
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RS
  • Modifications and add-ons:: garmin,pmr radio with remote arial,Auto Com
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 05:21:44 pm »
Personally I favour a hard wired autocom system with a old
Garmin 550 ok I have to do a fiddle with sd card to get European
Maps on but it it works and I don't have any issues two up even have a hoped up pmr
Radio
Brian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 05:41:30 pm »
You should try getting the UK on a Streetpilot 2820 with no SD card  >:(

Brian (who is currently wired but is thinking about wireless)

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:30 am »
Just a quick question for those in the know…..do any of the bike SatNav units have a speaker, i.e. so that it could be used in the car when needed…?? It appears that the TomTom V5 doesn't. I'm not sure about Garmin units.

I have a Zumo 660 which predates my K13GT but fits happily into the Voyager gradle on the GT. I am very happy with it. Also, it works fine in the car using its inbuilt speaker. 

It has an occasional aberration, the voice can become Pinky (or maybe Perky) on steroids. Switching on and off (the standard fix for all micropro' kit) returns it to the nice man who cannot pronounce French, German or Italian names; Swedish and Norwegian? Don't get me  started.

I would appreciate advice from any Zumo users:  My maps clearly need updating due to the speed of Peage construction in France.
So:

1. Best method to go about updating please.
2. I have heard that the updates do not override or delete the existing data.  Consequently, the memory is not sufficient to accommodate a full compliment of western Europe.  Is this true?

Thanks v. much.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 10:21:43 am »
One of the ways to free up memory is to delete all the languages apart from English of course.  ;D
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 10:24:38 am »
Ah, Brendan, bless your heart! I knew someone would start us off on the 'updating a Garmin' saga which will eventually lead to me having a coronary whilst lambasting Basecamp or whatever they have called it these days.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 which pre-dates you! I think it has 8 bytes of storage on board with no facility for a memory card nor a battery and I can't even get the whole of the semi-civilised parts of western Europe on it.

To get to Italy I had to delete the whole of Scandinavia, all of the Eastern european and Mediterranean states as well as Spain and Ireland. The prosess makes for interesting times as I have to select what I want to INCLUDE and if you leave out a map in error then it only shows up when you get there and find a big black hole!

All of this is made worse by the fact that Garmin did away with Mapsource and introduced Basecamp which is universally loathed even by the 'hunting, shooting and fishing' brigade who not only have a Base Camp but use their Garmin to get there. Some products work better with some devices than others! If in doubt, call Garmin.

The procedure for my Streetpilot is as follows:

Use MAPUPDATER to download the new map set to my PC.
Use MAPINSTALLER to select regions to load to device.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, use Garmin Express!

I use the Mapsource utility tp plan routes and upload them to the Garmin.

AFAIK it replaces all map data but not languages etc. as Tom says, delete the stuff you don't need before you start.

Brian (who hopes this helps those with ancient devices and even more ancient PC's)

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:55 am »
A useful thread thanks.

As for the Garmin vs TomTom debate, I had a Zumo 550 which I sold with my bike and then got the TomTom app for iPhone. After two trips around France I bought a Zumo 390LM which suits me better than the TomTom app.

I think it's down to what you are used to and, in part, how you use the device.

Any satnav is better than relying on maps which is what I did on a four week solo tour around France some time back. I still use maps for overall planning but not whilst riding.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:33:03 pm by Ross »
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 10:55:47 am »
Never had a problem using maps in the "old days". Used to plan the route at home and write down the road number and name of the next town to head for on a card which went in the top of the tank bag or taped to the top of the tank.

Better now with the satnav because you can route down all those rat runs and scenic bits such as the Green Routes on the Michelin maps.

Elite Evil

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 03:56:39 pm »
I have an early tomtom rider (V2?) and it is a great bit of kit. I use it even on roads I know because it gives me advanced warning of revenue cameras.  :D

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »
I've now had the TT Rider fitted for about a month. Hooked it up with a bespoke loom from Nippy Normans. Piece of cake to install, thank heavens! It's working fine. All I get frustrated with is sorting out comms priorities with my helmet mounted Cardo Scala Q3 kit, what with chatting to SWMBO on her flashy 650 Burger, listening to Sat Nag voice, and trying to have the FM radio on as well!! Time to get the IT minded son to help out with the IT side of things......!  :-\