Author Topic: K1200lt faults  (Read 2065 times)

Offline extremelimo

• View Profile
K1200lt faults
« on: May 28, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
I have a 1994 K1200 lt
turn ignition on neutral light comes on goes out, bike is in neutral but will not start no neutral light, pull clutch lever in side stand up no start, electric stand does not work. Potentiometer fault? how do I test please

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: K1200lt faults
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 04:00:58 pm »
Our normal area of expertise lies in the slant four or across the frame fours rather than the flying brick models. Although there maybe one of the thronging masses that might be able to answer your question.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 02:47:49 pm »
not my area but a suggestion...
will it start clutch in, side stand down ?
if so i would be looking at the gear indicator electrical connections.. a good clean here may be all thats needed or perhaps a broken wire.
also you could bridge the wires at the safety points... stand down connector and clutch lever connector, to ensure its not them but there's a hint of corroded gear connections for me ....
other than that starter solenoid or starter problems likely.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 04:37:45 pm »
The 12volt to your starter relay has a feed from the Battery through a fuse to the ignition switch  Red wire, this then feeds the starter button on the right hand multi switch green wire, a Black and yellow wire then goes to one side of the starter relay,
The 0 volts to the starter relay (interlock) comes from the frame/ batt Neg and first goes to the Neutral switch then side stand switch, these two switches remove the 0 volts from the brown and black wire if the bike is in gear or the side stand is down, the clutch switch overrides these two switches by applying a 0 volt to the brown and black wire which then goes to the starter relay,
So if you put a wire from the frame or the neg 0 volts side of the battery to the starter relay terminal with the brown and black wire on it the press the starter button with the ignition on it should start.  :winkthumbs:
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul