Author Topic: TCX Boots  (Read 5330 times)

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
TCX Boots
« on: November 18, 2020, 01:28:45 pm »
I know these are pricey but I really love them.

https://youtu.be/UOWmlho9p9I

Dave  ::)

Bigbikemad Channel

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: TCX Boots
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:27:17 pm »
I'm a huge TCX fan. My first pair of 'modern' boots came from BMW when I had the GS and they were simply the best and most comfortable boot, almost identical to these and as it happens, made for BM by TCX. I loved them so much I lashed out on another pair in a Black Friday deal, just so I would always have a spare pair in the wings. Then the K's came along and these style of boot was a little clunky (to say the least) and so I went to their Gore Tex race boot and have never looked back.

The spare pair of TCX I sold to Tom and now having got into a bit of off-road, often wish I hadn't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 02:40:37 pm »
Whilst I am a TCX fan having recently purchased a pair of X-Five Plus boots, those boots you are featuring Dave, are, in my humble opinion, bloody awful, sorry  :-\

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 03:25:15 pm »
I agree with Rae on this. "No likey!" :(  Sorry.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 04:33:53 pm »
I use a pair of TCX boots for the winter and Alpinestars short boots in summer.

Both are really comfortable, however I find that the TCX are too thick to easily fit around the gear change lever on the K1300GT, both when positioning underneath the lever for higher gears and over it for a lower gear posing quite a challenge to me. Size is 10, and I think that most of the problem is caused by the very chunky sole.

I have adjusted the gear lever (mainly to suit the Alpinestars as these are used most) however it doesn't seem to help with the TCX.

As it is I've hardly managed to wear the TCX boots, however I think that next time it's back to Sidi (my old "Black Rain" boots had none of these problems).

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:23 pm »
On my K1300s my right foot would be forever kicking the engine. It's tight down there - one of the reasons I rejected the K200S a long time ago (but a 1300 test ride suckered me back in).

On any other bike, they may be OK.
I appreciate the extra protection they'd give, and used to wear something similar - lovely red Styl Martins. They're now 'retro', obvs:

Naturally mine were filthy, not red, after 3 weeks.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 09:17:38 pm »
One word. I can't think of it yet but there is definitely one! :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 09:37:36 pm »
Yuk, 'orrible, hideous? Take your pick.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 09:38:54 pm »
One word. I can't think of it yet but there is definitely one! :D

Kinky ?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 11:28:43 pm »
Fiddly to secure...

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 09:46:47 am »
Just perfect for your Santa outfit?

But back on topic.  I have a pair of TCX boots for the winter,  and bought a pair of their summer boots this year as the winter boots are pretty heavy, albet wel worn in and flexible at this stage.

After reading about all the little bones that make up the foot, and feet and lower leg injuries are one of the two most common motorcycle injuries (when the bike falls on top of you of course), and read that TCX are one of the only boots where the whole boot is CE certified, I wouldn't go anywere else.

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:50:58 am »

Not surprising to find different opinions as we all have different feet... :D

Mine love these. Easy to secure - easier than a zip anyway, waterproof, breathable and very, very comfy. Grip on gravel etc is good too.

I'm delighted with my purchase.

Things are definitely getting more technical though  - I do remember the day though when people rode about in wellies....or work boots.

Dave

Bigbikemad Channel

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 11:12:37 am »
What ever happened to Motorcycle Derri Boots? Lovely and warm and snug, completley waterproof and had all the protection of a rubber glove  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 01:40:17 pm »
What ever happened to Motorcycle Derri Boots? Lovely and warm and snug, completley waterproof and had all the protection of a rubber glove  ;D

Weren't they effectively wellies with a draw string top and a liner? Billy "The Big Yin" Connolly sang a song about them. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 02:20:13 pm »
I had two pairs of Derri Boots in my younger days and when I got pulled by plod one dark and windy winter day he commented on how smart my boots were (he was looking for something to compliment me on before he laid into me about my speed).

The look on his face when I told him they were not much more than shiny black condoms with soles told me everything I needed to know and I promptly went out and bought a pair of Goldtop Short boots just like his. I was a bit miffed when the 'leather' waterproof gusset fell apart after a couole of years and turned out to be Vinyl...

The Derri Boots were still going strong as wellies many years later and I only chucked em out when I melted the sole of one of them on burning embers from an autumn bonfire!

And I seem to remember some cheesy t.v. space series which featured scantily clad peeps wearing Derri Boots painted silver...