Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 28415 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 10:12:12 am »
7.5k sevice is good, I agree.
Is there a 12 month service that kicks in if you're not keeping the mileage up?

Yes, it's 7500 miles OR 12 months, whichever is sooner. (I'll do two services a year so wasn't worried about 12 months!:D  )
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 10:32:39 am »
How is it for road presence David?

My R1150GS was so fwugly it scared even truckers out of the way, my blue and white K12S (with a flouro jacket and white helmet on top) was perceived by many to be plod and so the waves parted and my K13S in dark black is virtually invisible so no-one tries to kill me. I can't imagine riding a metallic kermit green space ship...

Also, what about the lights? You must have got time to evaluate them before the clocks went haywire!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:45:53 am by Phmode »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:49 am »
Road presence is good. The LED headlight seems to be visible, without being annoying, from a long way off and generally people react as you'd want them to. It's big enough to allow "command of the road" and to be perceived as a "big motorbike" by other road users. (Very like my K1300S MotorSport was.)

At a slight tangent, I used it in the dark for the first time on Monday morning. The cornering lights are definitely noticeable and help though were a little distracting at first. OK once I knew to ignore them. The headlight is OK, probably about the equal of the standard K1300S lights but not a patch on the HID conversion I had on all 3 of my Ks. The down side of the LED light is that the option to upgrade is now very limited. :(
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 10:54:33 pm »
That's great news regarding the increased service interval. And pretty nice that they're not sticking to the original just because they could. It also negates one of the two obvious criticisms/concerns/fondu I had... you know, ignoring the price :P.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 11:16:11 am »
Weird about the LED lights David. The ones on my new S3 are stunning. Way better than the standard HID's on the old A6.

On the A417 north of Gloucester toward Ledbury, the bends come thick and very fast and I can make much progress along almost all of it on dip beam, that's how good they are. Fantastic throw and the only thing that main gives you is a better view of the scenery and enormous dazzle from the road signs. A couple of long straights allow/demand full beam but that's about it.

Maybe the duck would benefit from auxilliary lights.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 10:56:36 am »
So, I’m now 1400 miles in, fully run in, and enjoying the bike in the way it was intended. The prime use so far has been my commute from home to central London (75 miles each way) so the bike gets a daily run along country roads, A roads of all types, motorway and city.

Performance remains stunning. An occasional full throttle, full revs blast through the gears has me grinning from ear to ear. The K1300S is fast but this really is in a different league. The shorter wheelbase allows for a bit more front wheel lift and the traction control is excellent at managing that in a controlled and predictable fashion. Unlike the BMW system that simply cuts all power and dumps you back onto the tarmac with a thump.

Fuel consumption is almost exactly the same as the K1300S so that gives between 47 and 51mpg depending on how much fun I’ve been having. By default, I fill the bike with Tesco Momentum 99RON fuel. On one occasion, Tesco’s had run out of fuel and I had to fill with Esso 97RON. The difference in smoothness, especially in town, was noticeable. It wasn’t bad but it was noticeable that I needed more revs in the low range and the in-town off-on throttle changes were not as smooth.

In town, it’s excellent. While not actually any lighter, it feels lighter and has a much better turning circle than the K1300S. Balance is excellent and the slow speed pick-up to go for gaps etc. is brilliant. Also, the heated grips are in BMW league.

The front brake has now bedded in and is almost as good as the K1300S. The rear definitely feels like an optional extra not fitted. It’s rubbish, even struggling to hold the bike on slight inclines while waiting at red lights.

The other disappointment has been the seat. It is not in the same league as the BMW seat. After 90mins/75 miles, my bum has just about had enough. I really wouldn’t want to use it for a long, big mile day without my AirHawk. As it happens, a seat became available on eBay at a reasonable price so I bought that and currently have it with a local upholsterer who does bike seats, getting a gel pad fitted. I hope that will solve the problem although the AirHawk is there just in case.

So, all in all, I’m still extremely happy with the bike. It still is, in my opinion, one of only a small number of models that deliver a sports bike capable of two up, hard luggage, touring. Exactly where I felt the K1300s (and the K1200S, original K100RS, R100RS an R90S) were aimed. It’s not perfect, although nothing is, but it delivers fun, performance and capability in huge dollops and in a great package.

It’s still very early days yet but my feelings are that both component and build quality are at least as good as BMW, if not better

If you are looking for a replacement for your K1300S (or K1200S) and want a sports bike with touring capabilities rather than a touring bike with sports capabilities (FJR etc.) I’d definitely recommend getting a decent ride on one. While expensive, I don’t think the price is far off what a new K1300S would cost were such a beast available.

:D I'm loving mine!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 02:44:52 pm »
Sounds lovely David! Stop it please, make it sound worse!

Do you have a scotoiler set up? Sorry I forgot to check thread..
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 03:03:43 pm »
Yes Matt, I have the ScottOiler e system fitted. Way to early to know how good or bad it is or if chain use is the pain in the backside most shaft drive owners (me included) worry it will be.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 03:59:32 pm »
If there was ever a bike built to stretch a chain, this is the one.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 04:20:34 pm »
I have a paltry 600 miles on my wee Honda and about 100 ago the chain was as rusty as hell (not plated) and so stiff it was difficult to get the bottom run to flex so I could check the slack. It has been lubed, liberally, with Putoline 'O'-& 'X'-ring lube before and after every off-road ride and still it is a pain.

Mine isn't the only one in this condition so I decided to flash the cash and fit a Regina Gold 'X'-ring chain. When I split the old chain off I discovered, much to my surprise, that it was in fact a fairly decent DID 'O' ring jobby.

Welcome to the world of chains...

Andym535

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 07:58:20 pm »
O-ring chains don’t like chain lube, particularly on dirt bikes. My CRF250X has done about 2000 miles, mostly off road and very muddy and the original chain is still fine. Never used chain lube, just wipe it with and oily rag (engine oil) to stop the surface rust after jet washing the mud off it. Maybe the solvent in chain lube attacks the o rings, maybe grease mixes with mud to form a grinding paste. Whatever the reason o ring chains last longer without chain lube.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2019, 10:40:16 am »
Now 3000 miles in and a visit to Hilltop complete. With one exception, the bike remains stunning. Firstly the bad news:

The seat is really not long distance comfortable. Even after having a gell pad fitted, which improved things slightly, there’s no way I’d manage the sorts of long days the k1300S did with ease. My Airhawk seat cushion WILL be used for the Old Gits trip at the start of June. I don’t think I’ll survive without it!

Now the good news:

Hilltop mapped the bike and it currently does 190bhp at the wheel at just under 10,000rpm. (99lbft at the wheel) This on an engine that red lines at 12,000rpm. Steve at Hilltop said the cat is strangling it and that it just can’t get the exhaust gases out fast enough. Remove the cat and it will rev freely to the red line and will deliver 220bhp plus with ease. All of this while still delivering late 40’s mpg general use fuel economy – which is about the same as my K1300S.

I did gain 10lbft at 3000 rpm which is noticeable and useful, although the engine was already stunning at low rpm. Likewise, off throttle to on throttle has been improved and everything just feels “smoother”.

Handling remains excellent with quick and light turn in and fast direction changes, but with a stable and solid feel. It does make the K1300S feel a little ponderous. It’s definitely noticeably “more sporty” than the K1300S but without any noticeable loss of stability. My current “high scores” on the dash lean angle are 42 degrees on either side, and that’s without taking the bike on any really nice roads. (Roll on June and the Old Gits trip to the Dolomites!!!)

While I would definitely prefer shaft drive, the chain, with the electronic Sccottoiler fitted, has still not needed adjustment and is proving, so far, to be less of a problem than I feared.

I’ve now fitted a cheap TPMS which is doing the job really well.

The “proper” electronic cruise control is getting a huge amount of use. It’s great! Set at the chosen speed, and just relax. Use the clutch lever to disengage the cruise control if catching up a vehicle in front (or passing a “photo-me-now” box on the side of the road) then press Resume to have the bike accelerate by its self, back up to the pre-set speed.

The front brakes are excellent now they’re bedded in. I managed to force an ABS activation from them and was pleasantly surprised. No drama but you were aware that the ABS had fired. The rear brake is still well below what it should be and feels like even stamping on the peddle with a “heavy heal” would not lock the rear up.

With the exception of the seat, comfort is excellent. The riding position works for low and high speed, for town and open roads. It feels slightly sportier than the K1300S but I’ve had no neck, wrist or back discomfort when riding through the city. Likewise, Autobahn speeds are all day comfortable with minimal buffeting. (Seat aside!) I had the pleasure of riding through some torrential rain recently and I’m pleased to say the fairing is possibly slightly better at keeping the rain off the rider than the K1300S fairing. I still get wet, but it takes a little longer!

So, all in, still a great bike that does pretty much everything a K1300S does but better. I really can’t emphasize just how good the engine is. For me, one of the great parts of the K1300S was the hugely strong and flexible way power was delivered. Well, the H2 SX is the same but more, lots more! If BMW wanted to understand what the K1300S replacement needed to be then looking at the H2 SX would give them the answer. It’s just a shame about the seat.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2019, 05:38:28 pm »
I don't know whether the rear brake on the H2 is noticeably different to the second generation GTR 1400 that I owned for three years, however the rear brake on that felt very "wooden" and in truth, contributed little to stopping performance. The brakes are linked, in that the rear operates together with one front disc, although actuation of both front and rear brakes simultaneously  removes the link.

Prior to the GTR, I owned a BMW K1200 RS (brick) with the servo brakes (which didn't give me any trouble at all in some 25,000 miles) and, shortly after buying the GTR I was approaching a railway crossing locally at around 55mph when the lights started to flash ready for the barriers to descend. Instinctively I decided to stop (something which the BMW would have managed easily) and it soon became apparent that this was not going to happen with the GTR, so I was forced to carry on through.

I later owned a new Versys 1000 Mk 11 and found the brakes much better than the GTR, although both bikes had front discs replaced under warranty due warping. I really don't use brakes heavily at all, in fact I have never yet managed to wear brake pads out on a bike that I have bought new, often over 20,000 miles or more.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »
Strange about the seat David. Do you think it is the shape or is it the type of foam?

Apart from that it is all sounding good. So, what's the plan for getting rid of the cat?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:45 pm »
I think part of the seat issue is the part of the bum it makes you sit on. I have my weight on the rear of the buttocks rather than slightly between my legs/upper thighs where it was on the K1300S. As I've had a "medical grade" gel pad fitted it can't be the foam. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I just know it's not long journey comfortable.

As regards the cat, there are three "accepted" options. First is complete removal, replacing the "collector box" with the cat in by a link pip. The only down side of this approach is that headers are welded to the collector box so need cutting off.

The second is to simply drill out the contents of the collector box, or at lest a large hole through them. Apparently quite straight forward and not noticeable from the outside. Only "worry" is that you have to be careful of the lamba sensor.

The third option is by far the best but also the most expensive. I can replace the headers and collector box with the headers and link pipe off a ZX10R which offer the best gas flow of the lot.

None are hugely difficult and none are silly expensive but the question of "when is enough enough?" comes up. Do I want (because I definitely don't need) 220+bhp? Improvements will almost all be at the top end so generally not used that often on the road ... but … it is there for the taking!!!

Decisions decisions!!!