Author Topic: Clutch and oil  (Read 3887 times)

Offline TA

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Power Commander Fuel controller, custom leather seat, LED running lights, SW Motech crash bars with highway pegs, lowered foot pegs
Clutch and oil
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:20:21 am »
Does a wet clutch need oil delivered while disengaged? 

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Clutch and oil
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:39 am »
My answer would be yes otherwise a long run without it being engaged (motorway) would result in it eventually being used when it's a not-very-wet-at-all clutch.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:08:17 am »
You can arrive at the answer yes just by studying the K history,when I bought my K Sport in 09 the oil spec was 10/40 because of all the drama that BM had with said K clutch’s they eventually went to 5/40.

I remember being in Vines when they asked what spec oil did I want and quickly reminded that they were the experts not me so went 5/40 very early on in the process.

The first time Vines attempted to fix the classic clutch take up right at the end of the lever it lasted 6 weeks before it resorted to how it used to be,their second attempt has worked to this day sadly I do not know what they did.

For some reason from the very first days of the net anything tech I have printed off and keep’d in a file,years back I had a Dutch guy contact me about and clutch updates and I managed to get hold of a factory circular to dealers which frankly was frightening as they were expecting them to drill a hole in the end of the clutch shaft to improve circulation,it came with photos and I lost the dam thing and then changed computers,I think it was for the pre 07 K’s but was never certain of that.

Guess I could have said yes too the question......oh hang on I did..

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Embrace the wind.

Offline TA

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Power Commander Fuel controller, custom leather seat, LED running lights, SW Motech crash bars with highway pegs, lowered foot pegs
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 04:51:47 pm »
Costas

I think I’ve missed what was in that article about oil and non-engagement.   

Here is what I found to be a digestible paper on oil and wet clutches.  It does not directly talk of oil during non-engagement.  But it does talk about static and dynamic friction and the transition between them, one of oils main functions.

syntheticwarehouse.com

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 11:16:17 am »
Being in a picky, spikey sort of mood this morning (caused by the Pink Moon over the pub at 03:25 this morning) we seem to have different understandings of when a clutch is engaged and when it is disengaged.

The original question was whether the clutch needed oil delivered while disengaged. I take disengaged to mean lever pulled in, engine side of clutch not connected to gearbox side of clutch.

David's answer seems to suggest it is disengaged while on a long motorway run  ::)

The technical answer, according to TomL is that oil only gets fed to the clutch plates whilst the clutch is disengaged i.e. lever pulled in.

That's why lots of us sit with the lever pulled in at lights etc. so giving the plates a good soak.

I have no idea why wet clutches are even used. Cars, even multi-plate competition cars work perfectly well with no lube, in fact just the opposite. Even a few tiny drops of oil on a car clutch can cause it to slip like buggery.

I remember asking my dad (who knew everything) why it had oil in there when I was told to lap in the new cork inserts on the clutch plates of some bike or other when I were a lad.

'It just has!' So that was one thing he didn't know then...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 03:03:58 pm »
Apparently the oil washes the clutch friction dust off the plates. Poor oil flow across the plates allows the clutch plate dust to form into a paste on the clutch plates.

Downside is that it washes it into the engine oil which is why engine oil gets contaminate so quickly and it has to be changed more frequently than in cars.

The trick is to sit at lights and junctions with the clutch pulled in to clean the plates. Formerly I would always put my bike into neutral.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 03:13:23 pm »
You can still have the bike in neutral with the lever pulled, the clutch knows no difference, apart from maybe a little less drag.

As to the paste, the dust can only turn into a paste if there is a liquid such as oil in there to emulify it, otherwise, just like in a car, it is merely dry dust.

I realise that there is oil there on the K, but the question remains, 'Why?'.

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 03:26:25 pm »
Here is part of a patent about controlling the amount of oil at different clutch stages.  It is addressing the need for a low oil flow during disengagement.   A higher oil flow during disengagement causes clutch drag = klunk.  Oils important function is during the process of engagement and disengagement.  Outside of those two states, oils function is nominal. 

Type in search - oil modulation clutch patent  -  it should be the first listing under data.epo.org

Sorry, I couldn’t get a direct address.

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »
Having watched 404 and Patric H videos, the debris within the clutch is mostly generated at the hub and pressure plate.  Everywhere else within the plate stack, the plates look relatively unaffected whether little or lots of oil   So to me that says at those two surfaces is where a good oil flow is needed.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 06:11:40 pm »
None of this explains why bike clutches use oil when car clutches don't  :)

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »
The little bit I’ve come across is a wet clutch last longer.   Contributing to that is the cooling offered by the oil. 

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 08:24:22 pm »
I found this.  If your question is not rhetorical.

To kick things off lets talk about wet clutches. They're referred to as wet because they're bathed in engine oil. The oil's primary purpose is to cool the clutch plates, and because of this cooling effect wet clutches can take a lot of abuse, like the kind you'd dish out in stop and go traffic. Wet clutches generally have a nice wide friction zone that makes them pretty easy to use. They also tend to last a long time, and they're quieter than dry clutches. And did we mention that they can take a lot of abuse? That's a good characteristic, especially if you're just learning how to ride or don't want to replace your motorcycle clutch every 10,000 miles.

On the flip side, wet clutches do make your engine oil dirty faster since all the dust that's created as the clutch wears stays inside the engine. Thankfully, the oil filter takes care of that. The other drawback is that wet clutches are messier to work on. Also, because the clutch is spinning in oil, there's fluid drag that saps a bit of the engine's power.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 07:18:30 am »
Being in a picky, spikey sort of mood this morning (caused by the Pink Moon over the pub at 03:25 this morning) we seem to have different understandings of when a clutch is engaged and when it is disengaged.

The original question was whether the clutch needed oil delivered while disengaged. I take disengaged to mean lever pulled in, engine side of clutch not connected to gearbox side of clutch.

David's answer seems to suggest it is disengaged while on a long motorway run  ::)

The technical answer, according to TomL is that oil only gets fed to the clutch plates whilst the clutch is disengaged i.e. lever pulled in.

That's why lots of us sit with the lever pulled in at lights etc. so giving the plates a good soak.

I have no idea why wet clutches are even used. Cars, even multi-plate competition cars work perfectly well with no lube, in fact just the opposite. Even a few tiny drops of oil on a car clutch can cause it to slip like buggery.

I remember asking my dad (who knew everything) why it had oil in there when I was told to lap in the new cork inserts on the clutch plates of some bike or other when I were a lad.

'It just has!' So that was one thing he didn't know then...

You are quite right Brian, while the post said disengaged, I read engaged.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 11:33:53 am »
I found this.  If your question is not rhetorical.

To kick things off lets talk about wet clutches. They're referred to as wet because they're bathed in engine oil. The oil's primary purpose is to cool the clutch plates, and because of this cooling effect wet clutches can take a lot of abuse, like the kind you'd dish out in stop and go traffic. Wet clutches generally have a nice wide friction zone that makes them pretty easy to use. They also tend to last a long time, and they're quieter than dry clutches. And did we mention that they can take a lot of abuse? That's a good characteristic, especially if you're just learning how to ride or don't want to replace your motorcycle clutch every 10,000 miles.

On the flip side, wet clutches do make your engine oil dirty faster since all the dust that's created as the clutch wears stays inside the engine. Thankfully, the oil filter takes care of that. The other drawback is that wet clutches are messier to work on. Also, because the clutch is spinning in oil, there's fluid drag that saps a bit of the engine's power.

Thanks and the question was not rhetorical. Pointless perhaps, but not rhetorical.

And I do get all of that. My point remains that all of the above pro's would apply to a car, van, truck clutch also. But almost (get your exclusion clauses in early I say) no car, van or truck uses a wet clutch.

Believe me, the clutch in my S3 (and every other car I have ever owned) gets used and sensibly abused every bit as much as my K13 or tiny Honda ones.

The only differences I can think of are that bike clutches are, for a given size of engine and power output, small in diameter compared with car clutches. They make up for that size deficiency by using multiple plates whereas (almost) all cars use a single plate clutch. Really high performance cars tend to use twin plate clutches.

Most bikes carry their engines lower than most cars and so a large diameter clutch housing may get in the way of the ground...

Someone must know why. Not the advantages, because cars need those advantages also.