Author Topic: That same old overheating problem!!!  (Read 10385 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: That same old overheating problem!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 09:43:18 pm »
For what it's worth I have a fenda extenda and have had to replace my radiator every 3 to 4 years. I have never had a cooling problem and it is always at the replacement plugs service that my dealer tells me the old rad is blocked and needs replacement. I am on my third radiator and expect to have to replace it in 2020. Hmm, those K1600 GT's are looking better and better!!

T.
Take a good look at the K1600GT. IMO it will suffer from exactly the same problem.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Oxford-k1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 30th anniversary
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 10:01:55 pm »
It begs the question why bmw can’t or don’t want to overcome  the problem.
Could it be the case that they want the sale of radiators to continue.
Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 08:16:48 am »
It begs the question why bmw can’t or don’t want to overcome  the problem.

They have overcome the problem, they ceased production of the K1300. :(

I expect that a change of mudguard would not have fully addressed the issue and thus more radical solutions would have been needed. Had there been an "extended/different mudguard" then it would also have been very obvious that BMW got it wrong to start with, something they really don't like being seen to admit to. The vast majority of "fixes" are implemented in a way that stops little Johnny, with his I Spy Book of BMW Bikes saying "Oh Look, that K1300S hasn't had the replacement switch gear, bevel box, cam chain jump guard and extended mudguard fitted"! :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 09:08:39 am »

Had there been an "extended/different mudguard" then it would also have been very obvious that BMW got it wrong to start with, something they really don't like being seen to admit to.

I reckon the mud strip is that admittance of fault. I don't recall seeing anything similar on another bike - BMW or otherwise - but someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong.  >:(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 05:23:31 pm »
OK, my pleasure. You're wrong  8)

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 09:06:46 pm »
[t begs the question why bmw can’t or don’t want to overcome  the problem.
[/quote]

I doubt it. My first radiator was the original, the second they replaced for free (I know ... I couldn't believe it either!) so I have only really paid for the third on which went on after around 75,000 miles/ 7.5 years.

T.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 09:18:36 pm »
If BMW paid for a radiator you are a very lucky boy.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 09:45:21 pm »
That's like saying that the guy who drew first in line for the firing squad was 'lucky'  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 09:59:00 pm »
That's like saying that the guy who drew first in line for the firing squad was 'lucky'  8)

I know, but I have been subjected to the usual BMW brain washing which is why when it cost £566 I thought I'd had a result  :-\

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 11:03:40 am »
 :D :D :D :D

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 08:23:43 am »
This thread spurred me on to give my radiator a proper clean and it reinforced my belief that the Boffins at BMW got it wrong !
I had already removed the crud catcher plank over a year ago and that improved the cooling no end.
I stripped off the shrouds and the fan so I could reverse flush it. there was no damage to the rad at all, what I did notice  was a build up of road dust to the whole rad but even more where the fan mount was, in my opinion this is what rots the rads.
Dry road salt gets trapped in the dust then as soon as it gets damp starts to corrode.
I gave it a spray of MucOff and flushed it out from the back and the whole rad was as clear as a bell.

The fan mount is going ! I' going to draw up a more open mount that will allow a better and greater airflow when moving and allow an easier way to back flush the rad without having to take it apart, I might even fit a bigger fan.

Best regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:45 am »
Keep us up to date with some photos as you go, Sutty. It will be interesting to see the results.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 09:41:41 am »
Will do Rich, the original fan looks woefully small for a 1300 and removing the restriction of the fan mount would allow a more forceful airflow to carry away some of the dust build up plus giving a bigger volume of cooled water available for when you are in traffic.

Regards  Mick

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 11:37:37 am »

Still pouring down here so I had a little play.
 The red fan is the original at 7" dia plus not much sweep. I would make the housing from 3mm Stainless and machine out the mounting eyes. I put 3 sizes of fan 8", 9", and 10" but looking at I may be able to fit a 12"
I know the fan cowl is supposed to give a bigger draw area  but I don't think it works in the real world, It may be causing eddies when the fans not running.
I've had a mooch through ebay and there's lots of fans to choose from.

I should have drew up the fan housing when I had it off but I think it will be OK for the rest of the year.

If you have any thoughts on this feel free to comment.

Best regards    Mick
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:50:58 am by richtea »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 11:57:38 am »
Looks good!

Two things come to mind:
- on my radiator there's a lot less gunge up the top area, so the larger diameter fans will be pulling the air through cleaner fins = even better cooling
- are the larger fans just as narrow? I remember thinking the existing fan+surround were a bit tight in the space between the radiator and the engine.