Should it be a mandatory requirement to take a driving assessment at age 70

Yes
12 (70.6%)
No
3 (17.6%)
Not sure
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Mandatory driving/riding assessment at 70  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
Re: Mandatory driving/riding assessment at 70
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 11:19:59 am »
When you say driving assessment, do you mean a normal driving test or a short theory test?

After my dad passed away at 86 years old, driving my mum around she told me about how bad his driving was, going up kerbs because he cut the corner too much, reversing into a 200 year old oak tree that appeared from no where, I actually saw the evidence of that as you can imagine the tree damage was.... well what tree damage, as for the rear of the Subaru, not pretty.
Also he certainly was not a 40mph everywhere kind of person either, he would be trying to out run the yoots in their Saxo's on the main roads.

Oops, going on a bit here.

Anyway my dad needed his license taken away. It would have only be a matter of time i feel before he caused someone serious injury.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 02:21:42 pm »
Many years ago my Dad who was not a slow driver, said to me while following an old duffer driving very slowly, "if I ever get like that, stop me driving." He did, so I did. He's 89 now and packed up about 4 years ago.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 03:56:40 pm »
Brave man Rae. I wouldn't fancy having to try to stop my dad driving. Luckily the davil got him first.

And seeing as I don't have kids, you can look forward to me terrorising one and all until they take me away  ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 05:00:10 pm »
Brave man Rae. I wouldn't fancy having to try to stop my dad driving. Luckily the davil got him first.

And seeing as I don't have kids, you can look forward to me terrorising one and all until they take me away  ::)
To be honest Brian, he knew it was time and was happy to have me ferry him everywhere, he's always been a lazy bugger  :-\

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:07 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D