Author Topic: NECBike Show  (Read 1358 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
NECBike Show
« on: November 22, 2022, 04:54:22 pm »
Had a day out at the NEC today…a day would be stretching it a tad but should imagine not everyone that goes will be a happy camper but with some inside info for parking etc helps a tag but no cheap day out that is for sure.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: NECBike Show
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 06:24:45 pm »
Been there, sat on it. Well, Rae did:

A lot of niches manufacturers are appearing - afew too many truly retro ones for our liking, but still ncei to see something different.

And some prizes for...
Closest to K1300S ergonomics: Kawasaki H2 SE with a gentle forward lean (so David-k1 has got it spot on there)
Comfiest race bike: Panigale which has noticable leg space (who da thunk it)
Most painful footrests: Norton Commando (engine is just too wide)
Scariest pillion perch that supposed to be comfy: Honda Gold wing with a flat back bagger design. One twist and they slide straight off the back.
Second scariest pillion perch: the Harley/Indian(?) with a '50s vibe London tube strap coming out of the middle of the seat for the pillion to hang on to

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 09:26:16 pm »
Ah nice! I've always liked the look of the FTR since it first appeared. Though the crimson with red frame was the original I liked the most.

I haven't been to the NEC show for years. I do intend to go next time my ear canals decide to change shape though. So I imagine in the next 3-5 years!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 09:46:42 pm »
It has been about 5 years since I last went. It is always a bit undewhelming but a pleasant day out.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 07:28:05 am »
It's also been a good few years (around 8 I think) since I went. I was underwhelmed back then and have heard nothing that makes me think I'm missing out by not going now. :(

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 01:40:58 pm »
Agreed. It's merely a great chance to say no, no no, no, not that one, ooh my - pricey, no, no, imagine the rust on those bolts in 3 years time, no, whaat?, no, nope.

In summary, there were:
- a handful of 'fast touring' bikes, but few and far between. Suzuki GT, Kawa H2 SE, Honda 1100 thing come to mind. Not bad.
- a hell of a lot of retro sh*t. Lovely, but would crumble to crusty orange oxide when shown a salty road.
- many spangly sports bikes which were eye-watering in both ergonomics :o as well as price
- adventure bikes with square tin panniers
- and finally a quite few nice 800-1000 nakeds. But I wouldn't go to Scotland on one. Or over a wet Welsh mountain.

The wait for a K replacement continues.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 11:40:05 am »
this is one my wee gang threatened to go to many times but never actually pushed the button on.
take it from the above it's hardly worth it.... surprising as i thought with the size available the nec would have pretty much everything bike related under one roof.
where's the best then?
over here the northwest 200 brings a massive amount of mostly sportsbikes to nosey around... race attendees that is, no stalls worth talking about apart from chip vans. you will have a good days craic though.
also have been to killarney bikefest a couple of times, more stalls than the northwest...just, might be in double figures. harley davidson dealer/s with a few bikes available to test ride but long queues , good idea all the same. the attendees bikes cover pretty much everything available, if it goes on 2 wheels...or even 3 you'll probably see it there, theres also free music from midday to the early hours every day it's on.
with that said i really enjoyed the bikefest until this year, it just seemed to lack the atmosphere it used to have, so much so we will probably head elsewhere next year. that said the killarney roads are fantastic, i prefer them to the roads around portrush but maybe thats because i'm used to them.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 12:54:57 pm »
It's still a very big show, the biggest I'm sure, so don't be put off by my sarcasm. Every manufacturer, and every model, even the niche ones - Langen, CCM, Zero, Energica, Norton, Benelli, etc.

It's also extremely good for buying kit - helmets, gloves, gloves etc, all of which you can try on first, then haggle, and you'll easily cover the cost of visiting.
That's what I'd normally do, but I already have too many sets of gloves.  :-[

You also save the price of a whole new bike, by window shopping, not buying.  :winkthumbs:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 01:36:36 pm »
There are lots of claims to being "the biggest" From the Copdock bike show web site https://eastangliancopdockbikeshow.co.uk/

The East Anglian Copdock Bike Show is the biggest and, in many people’s opinion, the best Bike Show in the country ...

I think the Peterborough show in May has claimed the same thing (I don't know if they still do, that was back in the BMF days.)

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 01:37:33 pm »
If folk ever needed the perfect example of how bike show threads wander about, I’ve missed 2 NW200’s since 1995 and those were 19/20 cuz of covid but what the NW has to do with the NEC!!!! I’ve no idea.

When grilling anyone about the NEC first question ask where they park 😄

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 01:39:14 pm »
Bike park for Richard and myself  :winkthumbs:

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 01:57:26 pm »
Only bike I’m riding at this time of year is an electric mountain bike….but even that background came in handy when talking to the guy on the Energica stand.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 03:33:20 pm »
just thinking about bike gatherings to take in on runs. we usually head off for long weekends a few times a year and usually follow our noses but occasionally plan something. the nec show was always going to be a fly over, fly home job due to the time of year but it would be nice to have a run with "destinations" which would interest us. the bangers and cash place is a strong runner if they have a big auction in the summer, a lot of you mentioned the triumph museum would be another. places like that.
apologies for digressing, i promise not to do it again... today anyway.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 06:09:45 pm »
The ‘Mob’ my wife and I met up with at the NEC are the same bunch we see at our usual bike meet of a Wednesday morning google ‘Hoar Park’ their probably only 50/60 at this time of year during the summer you are talking 250 plus, I digress….the topic of conversation at both the show and Wednesday was how biking is becoming a rich man’s game and chaotic process that has started with the transformation of motorcycles from petrol to electric,now seeing how the average punter struggles with the thought of lead acid battery to lithium this years show was/is more important than most for bikes in general.

Having been the same route in 2020 changing from conventional mountain bikes to electric options and changing again since straight forward it ain’t, laid my cards on the table chatting to the Energica guy about how some of electric bike offerings at the show were clueless and the path we had been on we had a serious conversation about Pro’s and Con’s.

Bit late for most now show wise….but pre- book tickets and park in the train station car park…the walk into the NEC is timed in seconds.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 07:11:55 pm »
... chatting to the Energica guy about how some of electric bike offerings at the show were clueless and the path we had been on we had a serious conversation about Pro’s and Con’s.
Energica = top dog in electric motorbikes, still by far. But then again even they are slightly short of usable. You could do a reasonable day's ride with 1 or 2 top-ups at coffee stops, which will give you 200-300 mile range. But only if you're the single electric motorbike in the group. Otherwise you're screwed whilst waiting for the next charger to come free. And will it be the coffee stop of your choice? No - it will be some tedious GridServe/anonymous motorway service station rather than Nell's Cosy Tea Room. I'm waiting another few years. Again.