Author Topic: K1200s - engine cut out - no neutral, no gear indicator no start  (Read 861 times)

Offline late to the party

• my K1200s is a bit more sedate than my GSXR1000
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2006 granite grey K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1300S driveshaft, K1300s silencer and an AF-XIED
Has anyone experience of the following:

started the bike today and literally 30 seconds after it started it cut out.  Thought it was strange but when I went to restart it, it wouldn't start. I noticed the neutral light had gone, 1 wouldn't show when I selected first but 2 slowed when I clicked it into second.  Back into neutral and no light or display. Rocked it in gear still no neutral lights.  Eventually after a bit of cursing, changing in and out of first, pressing the start button and a bit more cursing the neutral light came back on.

Anyone got any ideas before I start throwing more money at it?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:26:08 pm by late to the party »
I spent two weeks of my Police Advanced Motorcycle course on a S1000RR and a further two weeks on a K1300S.  Both bikes were very impressive.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200s - engine cut out - no neutral, no gear indicator no start
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 10:41:06 pm »
The gear sensor is probably flaky. If you have access to a GS-911 you can calibrate it to see if it makes any difference.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 08:09:09 am »
Aren't these the symptoms when the right hand swich gear gives up? Is it as though the kill switch has been used?
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline late to the party

• my K1200s is a bit more sedate than my GSXR1000
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2006 granite grey K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1300S driveshaft, K1300s silencer and an AF-XIED
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 12:33:40 pm »
Aren't these the symptoms when the right hand swich gear gives up? Is it as though the kill switch has been used?

You'r right, that was how it felt.  I did have this in mind
I spent two weeks of my Police Advanced Motorcycle course on a S1000RR and a further two weeks on a K1300S.  Both bikes were very impressive.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 03:11:43 pm »

You'r right, that was how it felt.  I did have this in mind

Let the switch cluster cool right down then try again.  If it works, the switch gear needs replacing.
:(
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 03:32:59 pm »
would the kill switch affect the gear indicator/neutral light?
did you try starting with the clutch in?
i would eliminate the gear sensor before buying a kill switch, although the problem probably lies in some of the two areas.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 07:59:29 pm »
When the right - hand switch cluster failed on my K1300GT, it would not perform the pre - start diagnostic checks. The neutral light simply came on immediately the key was turned, without the flashing "Brake failure" warning lights illuminating. Otherwise, except for the fact that the starter wouldn't turn, everything else seemed to work, although I didn't try to put it into gear.