Things Bikers Love (or Hate) > Kit Reviews

Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic

<< < (2/8) > >>

Phmode:
I haven't worn a fixed front helmet since the mid 80's (silly minor claustrophobia syndrome) and have had Schuberths with sun visors for almost two decades.

In all that time I reckon I have used the drop down sun visor about a dozen times. I do wear photochromic specs (much less tinted this year than in the past) which makes a big difference, but still for some irrational reason I wouldn't want a helmet without the sun visor.

To me, much more important than the sun visor is a sun blocking strip across the top of the outer visor, like the sun-blocking visors on cars as opposed to the now standard tinted strip across the top of car windscreens, which equates to the drop down visor in my helmet.

All my helmets have either a fancy patterned strip off fleabay on the top of the visor or a strip of electrical tape in an emergency. The ability to totally block low winter sun or more often setting summer sun is vital for me. And then of course, riding into a low sun on wet roads means you need a glare-blocking strip along the bottom of the visor, it's never ending...  8)

Bruno:

--- Quote from: andym2 on December 21, 2021, 05:47:34 pm ---I'm not really getting on with my GT Air 2, so considering these two. Anyone tried either yet? Probably just as bad as asking about tyres of oil, but maybe someone has a good reason not to get either of these other than fit.

--- End quote ---

Andy - I am very happy with the Quantic.  It fits my head shape well, is reasonably quiet, and has the usual ARAI build quality.   I do however, miss the drop down visor from my previous lid, and will be buying either a light sensitive or dark visor when they are available.

NIBS:

I have never tried a light-sensitive visor and although it sound like a great solution how quickly do they react to light changes? I can imagine entering and leaving tunnels in bright sunlight might be an issue.

kfrogzx7:
I wouldn't restrict myself to a choice of two lids, as good as those two are, have a look at several and cross reference them to their SHARP ratings if you find a comfortable one.

I'd recommend at least a look at a Bell Race Star Flex DLX, for me it's the best I've ever had in terms of comfort, features , quietness, ventilation,  build quality, design / looks .... and that photo reactive visor.  Oh, and it's a Bell.

On the visor, the darkening / lightening doesn't react quickly enough for the first 100yds of a tunnel, but after that fine, you need to be aware of it that's all. The massive advantages of a legal dark visor that'll get you home safely after the pub at night is enormous.

Bruno:

--- Quote from: kfrogzx7 on December 23, 2021, 09:39:29 am ---I wouldn't restrict myself to a choice of two lids, as good as those two are, have a look at several and cross reference them to their SHARP ratings if you find a comfortable one.

I'd recommend at least a look at a Bell Race Star Flex DLX, for me it's the best I've ever had in terms of comfort, features , quietness, ventilation,  build quality, design / looks .... and that photo reactive visor.  Oh, and it's a Bell.

On the visor, the darkening / lightening doesn't react quickly enough for the first 100yds of a tunnel, but after that fine, you need to be aware of it that's all. The massive advantages of a legal dark visor that'll get you home safely after the pub at night is enormous.

--- End quote ---

Does the Bell meet the new standard?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version