Author Topic: Yahoo! groups.  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Yahoo! groups.
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:35:14 am »
Not an announcement about us but one that may affect lots of our members who use Yahoo! Groups in other fields...

"Message
1 Yahoo groups are closing on December 14th.
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Wilson Logan" evildrome_boozerama
Yahoo groups are closing on December 14th.

All content will be deleted.

If you want to backup the posts, photos & files from this group you can use
a program called PG Offline.

It has a 14 day free trial which will be ample time to download this group.

http://www.personalgroupware.com/downloads.htm

Cheers,

Wilson Logan (PGO Creator)."

...I include the above message despite the sender being the creator of the software he recommends.

Yahoo appears to be closing all its groups, not accepting any more content and ultimately deleting all the content of all groups.

For me and the other users of the same telescopes as myself, this is a major hit. Three of our groups have archives going back decades, some of which were ported to Yahoo when it first set up Groups.

One of my astronomy groups moved to Groups.io earlier this year and that is working better than Yahoo Groups ever did.

If any of you are in Yahoo Groups and want to move to Groups.io I can heartily recommend them based on my experience so far, although because of the impending demise of Yahoo Groups, there is now a one year premium payment to port content to Groups.io

The above utility allows groups or members to download their group's content for use offline.