General forum area > K1200 / K1300 Forum

Oil leak from top engine cover (2013 K1300S)

(1/7) > >>

Bian2512:
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to BMW ownership, so be gentle with me please. I'd like to pick your brains about an oil leak, that is coming from the top cover seal (rocker cover?) whilst the bike is running. The oil appears to be coming out in small squirts, with bubbles or air coming out as-well. Ive also been told the gasket is rubber, and can be re-used, and also its not common for these to leak. I know the engine is cocked forward instead of upright, so the oil is more likely to be in that area anyway, but any advice from you guys would be much appreciated. My main concern is the air/bubbles. Could it be pressurized, due to another fault?
Regards
Bian

Eyore:
Sounds to me as if whoever had the rocker cover off, presumably to check valve clearances, may have pinched the gasket .

Costas:
There are e few cases with gaskets failing on older than 10 years bikes. It's a relatively easy fix and does not effect any other component.  The issue is the correct installation of the new one with the proper glue and then proper engine management until gasket sits on the rails. Failing to do so will result in repetition of work.

Phmode:
Hi Brian and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

If you put a little more detail in your profile, age of bike, mileage etc, it makes it easier for folks to be specific when they try to help. A few words of introduction in Who's Who always helps too.

As to the 'leak'. Whereabouts around the cover is it? Also, when was the last valve clearance check done. If recently, Kim is probably on the right tracks.

The crankcase shouldn't be producing much in the way of pressure as it has an air recirculation system (secondary air system in BMW speak, consisting of a rubber pipe on the left of the engine, a manifold across the cam cover and three push in connectors into the cam cover) via the airbox.

So, these pipes and their terminations should be inspected before you go ripping it apart.

Also, if you do go inside, there is a gasket between the bottom of the cam cover and the top of the cylinder head down between the camshafts which won't produce a leak at the outside but could be allowing the crankcase to pressurise more than it should. Cover bolts torque is 10Nm and you are quite correct the cover gasket can be re-used if OK with appropriate sealant.

If you can be specific about exactly whereabouts the leak/bubbles are coming from and also if you can clean the area to be even more specific, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, you really should get a copy of RepROM, the BMW workshop manual for the K. £100'ish from the stealers or about £20 on t'internet. Just goggle RepROM.

Good luck Brian, Brian

TomL:
Radiator out job and you know what that means.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version