Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 134068 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #855 on: January 14, 2022, 10:47:10 pm »
Make sure you fasten a fluorescent thingy to your spindle spanner.

I bought one for the 12, used it when I took the shocks off to get rebuilt and then couldn't find it when I wanted to fit new wheel bearings about 5,000 miles later. Looked everywhere including behind the sheets of plywood etc.

Bought another one off fleabay and when I went outside to do the job I found the original; still inserted solidly in the spindle... ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #856 on: January 14, 2022, 11:02:06 pm »
Excellent write-up Martin, thanks.

How does the MPG on the 1300 compare? I seem to get more than that quite easily - 46-50mpg at around 50mph average, but depending on route.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #857 on: January 15, 2022, 12:08:43 am »
I had tyre pressure failure that started occasional but ended up permanent. Dealer replacement of the wheel sensor cured it. My K1300S is usually around 51mpg touring dropping to maybe 46 average when going for it. Acro baffle in.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #858 on: January 15, 2022, 07:19:52 am »
You know Martin when I read your posts...particularly at this time of year...not sure if you have my undieing admiration or your family should have you committed to a suitable institution...you know the ones where jackets have straps on the end of the arm 😂😂😂.

Re the scratched visor...surprised I see no tennis ball with sponge on the handle bars ?

Might even be able to stump up a pair of Road 5’s at an advantageous price, assuming you have time.....get them fitted as well...hmm re the visor 😀 sure that can be sorted as well...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #859 on: January 15, 2022, 09:23:48 am »
Martin you've got me thinking I should get a K1300S as my winter bike now! Or next 1290 get Chris's colours so I don't have to see orange wheels looking so obviously horrid at this time of year.

Thanks for the update, always a nice read.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #860 on: January 15, 2022, 09:44:23 am »
Rich
The K13 is averaging 48mpg with a best of 52 and a worst of 36, although that last figure was after the first lockdown standing for 4 months, a fairer in use figure would be 44

Andy
Yep I think that the sensor may be on the way out, its done 55k miles since it was replaced at 47k . The front one did 92k despite the bashing the front wheels have had

Chris
 nice offer thankyou. I was thinking about your tennis ball and sponge as i struggled to clear the visor as it happens. Might be time to try one of those Bob Heath visors we spoke about. Front tyre has done about 6k miles and the rear about 7k miles and there's tread left on both so not quite there yet. I have tyres sitting on the shed just now ready to go on when I need them, and I want to swap the rear grey wheel for the original silver so not quite as straightforward as ride in ride out,  so might come back to you later. As for the jacket with straps, well yes , you're not the only one to say similar

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #861 on: January 15, 2022, 11:07:54 am »
Are your mpg figures from the on board computer or by measuring what goes into the tank? I think Hans Christian Andersen was on the BMW team designing the mpg calculation parts of the on board computer.

I'd also suggest that the mpg change at motorway speeds are going to be affected as much by the screen changes as by the can.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 15, 2022, 11:21:41 am »
You know Martin when I read your posts...particularly at this time of year...not sure if you have my undieing admiration or your family should have you committed to a suitable institution...you know the ones where jackets have straps on the end of the arm 😂😂😂.

Nah, they're more pragmatic than that - they have life insurance on him.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:23:36 am by richtea »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #863 on: January 15, 2022, 01:12:01 pm »
As I have often written, the fuel gauge and the mpg figure is a work of fiction. The first day I had the K12 I ran out of fuel with the computer saying I had 47 miles left so that fuel gauge got replaced under the dealers warranty.

I soon started a spreadsheet to keep a record of the bikes history and realised that I was filling up well before the tank was empty. I kept pushing the distance I rode until on one occasion I did 38 miles after R=0. One extreme to the other. Hey, big UP! for German technology. The computer mpg number was averaging 8% optimistic.

Suddenly after almost exactly a year and weirdly coinciding with a tyre change, all things changed, I have no idea why. Fortunately I was doing a regular commute and had regular stops. Instead of being able to ride way past R=0, I noticed the spreadsheet was calculating that I'd be lucky if I got 5 miles.

Another 18 months and I was regularly riding until the range was below 10 miles and confident I had fuel left. I did the fuel tank filler neck mod (drilling air holes into the neck to more easily squeeze more fuel in). A couple of months later things went wonky again and I ran out of fuel a few time, fortunately I was working at Hinkley Point and its pretty flat around there so easy to push the bike. I say easy, that's in terms of meaning I could actually push the bike without expiring after a 100 yards. After a few weeks a kinked breather pipe was diagnosed. Basically from then on, if the range says zero, its zero.

Another year went by, no issues, computer 7% optimistic. Interestingly on a 1100 mile trip into Germany using the 100RON fuel the computer was accurate to 1 or 2%, and after that it stayed 3 or 4% accurate while I ran around Holland for a few more months on 99 RON.

In the first year or so of lockdown the accuracy was 6%. After I had all the work done on the suspension and replaced all the bearings etc, and in the second year of lockdown, its now at 4%. I don't know why its improving but I just know when I look at the computer data what the real numbers are. If anything my riding is much more varied than it used to be when commuting.

Moral of the story do not trust either your fuel gauge or the numbers in the computer. Work it out by keeping notes of your mileage and your fuel receipts, and try to completely fill your tank every time. My average fill up range over 478 tankfuls is 178 miles with a best of 219 (well I had just been banned for a fortnight and fined £LOTS so was trying to be a good boy), and the lifetime average is 43.02mpg.

Other exciting statistics: Average speed to date is 53.5mph over 84811 recorded miles so that's 1585 hours in the saddle. Cost is at 44.6p a mile, and that includes all the money I have spent recently on renewing suspension exhaust ABS pump panniers, so that number is now dropping again as the miles clock up again. If you include the purchase price its 51.5p a mile. Of those numbers fuel contributes 14.1p a mile.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #864 on: January 18, 2022, 02:02:59 pm »
Ah, some sensible figures at last, all these 50 mpg reports got me worried that there's something wrong with mine but I regularly get around 180-185 miles to a tank from full to empty.  Calculations give me 45-48 mpg averages.  My daily run to work is 1/3 city with a lot of traffic lights and 2/3 motorway, cruising at 80-90. Full Akro system & DNA but no re-map.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:07:33 pm by armstrongracer »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #865 on: January 18, 2022, 06:48:48 pm »
Full Akro system & DNA but no re-map.

Really 😳😳😳😳 blimey are you in for a treat when you escape the poxy TUV

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 18, 2022, 10:10:17 pm »
I get 10miles per litre and look for fuel at 190miles. I always brim the tank and expect to require 19litres at 190miles.

I don't take any notice of the computer mpg.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #867 on: January 19, 2022, 10:25:22 am »
When I used to commute, I'd fill the tank to the brim (filler neck mod done) then do 153 mile round trip before re-filling the next working day. Most of the time the low fuel warning light had just come on but on some occasions it hadn't. Measuring what went into the tank I'd get between about 47 and 52 mpg. (just under to just over 11 miles per litre). Keeping my dual carriageway/motorway cruising speeds to just over 80 (er ... kph officer - honest! ;) ) returned the 52mpg value. Moving that cruising speed up to just under 95 moved the mpg figure to the 47mpg value.  My "normal" value was around 49mpg. No panniers, no god awful top box monstrosity, just a Baglux tank bag and rider in leathers.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 19, 2022, 10:32:11 am »
TomL and black k1, are you talking about a k12or k13 ?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #869 on: January 19, 2022, 12:07:02 pm »
K13 (two of)  from me.