Author Topic: MOT advisory - slight play in rear wheel bearing  (Read 128 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
MOT advisory - slight play in rear wheel bearing
« on: Yesterday at 02:58:25 pm »
The bike was MOT'ed but it got an advisory:
'Wheel bearing has slight play Rear (final drive bearing play)'

Anyone else had the same?
If so, how fast should I rectify it (I guess it's a fresh set of bearings, and a wallet whipping at BMW)?

From a quick measurement, in the radial direction there's maybe 1mm of play, just rocking the wheel back and forward. I'm pretty sure all my Ks have done that.
In the lateral direction (gripping top and bottom of wheel and push/pulling against the natural direction of movement) I can hear some movement, but it's too small to measure.

It's just that I'm off around Scotland for 1500 miles in 2 days time.  ???

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Re: MOT advisory - slight play in rear wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:00:19 pm »
According to RepROM, the spec is 0.5mm (total) sideways movement at the wheel rim @ <35 degrees C on the centre stand. I have a DTI if you want to borrow that and get the reassurance of some actual numbers. I'd agree that the backlash (back and forth) movement is entirely normal.

Replacing looks quite involved, as you need to heat various parts to get the bearings out. If you're going abroad, I assume you've got BMW recovery in case it gets suddenly worse while you're away.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:41:20 pm »
It won't get any better Rich but I'm sure you have time to save up a few pennies. BMW = Bring My Wallet

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:54:13 pm »
According to RepROM, the spec is 0.5mm (total) sideways movement at the wheel rim @ <35 degrees C on the centre stand. I have a DTI if you want to borrow that and get the reassurance of some actual numbers. I'd agree that the backlash (back and forth) movement is entirely normal.

Replacing looks quite involved, as you need to heat various parts to get the bearings out. If you're going abroad, I assume you've got BMW recovery in case it gets suddenly worse while you're away.

Thanks for looking that up, Andy!

I'm pretty sure it's less than 0.5mm sideways, but I may well take you up on that, thanks, but after Scotland. Whatever a DTI is.  ;D
And I do have BMW breakdown. If it's like a front wheel bearing going, I presume I'll hear it squealing first, rather than wobble a lot?

And you're right, Rae. Beat My Wallet even.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:00:09 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:27:28 pm »
Way back, my R1150GS had the same MoT advisory. I rang Motorworks and they said 'is that all it is?'.

I decided to strip it and fit new bearings but it was a bugger's muddle to do and get shimmed correctly.

You have a good relationship with NOG so call and ask them about the tolerances.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:48:54 pm »
DTI = Dial Test Indicator. Let's you measure things like rim or disc runout with a precision of 0.01mm. You mount it against the rim and it measures the wiggle.

One other step in the RepROM is to push the brake pads back in before you try and wiggle the wheel, presumably in case the caliper is holding the wheel in position.

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:41:35 am »
Mine has just been MOT'd and I was given the same advisory. I am due to tour Germany in a few weeks and like you was concerned as to the urgency with which this should be addressed. Luckily I have access to a BMW Motorrad Master Mechanic whom I asked to take a look. After checking the bike his comment was that he would be "happy to ride the bike" and that the "play" was within acceptable tolerances. I appreciate this in only applicable to my bike. However it demonstrates that the opinion of one MOT tester, who is not a trained Motorrad mechanic, can be inaccurate. I would suggest you get a second opinion from somebody who actually understands and works on the product.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:59:09 am »
There is a similar situation with the FJR and the front wheel which always has a slight bit of play in the front wheel bearings.
The chaps at the FJ Workshop have seen this several times and once after changing the bearings it was still the same. So this also is acceptable play and once when having an MOT the tester mentioned it, and being armed with this information I ignored it and the bike went on to 70,000 miles before being hit in the rear end  :-\

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:20:58 am »
See, there's your proof! You didn't change the bearings and you get shunted up the jacksie.

Change them bearings folks... :)