Author Topic: Oxford HotGrips  (Read 5350 times)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: Oxford HotGrips
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 08:09:48 am »
Was that a genuine auto-correct, or are you just teasing Philippe?  :P

"heating elephants". Don't the words explain themselves, Richard ? Are you being rude to Brian ?    :)   ;)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 10:11:02 am »
You may find many elephants in previous posts, 'battling the elephants', 'against the elephants', 'no fairing to keep the elephants at bay'...

It was a genuine Malapropism ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism ) by a colleague many years ago and it just kind of stuck. Especially appropriate for the sort of elephants we had on the Wrinklies Trip two years ago on our way down to Swansea.

Doesn't do much for the Periodic Table of Elephants though  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 10:11:45 pm »
So, how are the Hot Grips faring?

Well, there is only one word - HOT!

The weather has been a little nippy of late (and as I tripe this, getting a lot more nippy) and so on the regular'ish gym run I have been starting the bike before I don the jacket and helmet and turning the grips up to max.

It's only three miles of fast lanes (allowing for the 35 mph brigade) into town but before I was parking the bike I had to turn the grips down; waaaay down.so far down that they were off. But still bloody hot!

I was wearing my 3 season(!) Alpinestars 365's which seem to have more of a thermal 'leak' in the index finger side of the wrist fold than I am used to experiencing on the K, even with the 'fairing' flip on top of the hamdguards. Just shows what fairing design does for you...

These gloves have a relatively thin palm and I couldn't cope with the uber-heat on my hands on max.

The temptation on a cold day is to hit the HOT button. My experience says that I would need my BMW Winter gloves (with padded, insulated palms) to tolerate the heat on 5! So, I shall engage 5 to get then hot and then turn them down to 3 as soon as I get on and ride off.

However, grips that are too hot is something most riders would love to be complaining about  8)