Author Topic: avon tried out.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
avon tried out.
« on: July 25, 2020, 04:53:49 pm »
just back from a good run on my new avons. bit of a tour of donegal which was cut short by horrible weather. anyway, did a bit over 150 miles on friday getting us well into the wilds of donegal, sky had looked a bit iffy but we were far.....very far from shelter of any sort when the heavens opened. we did another 50 or so miles on very wet roads and generally unpleasant conditions, got into a hotel and ,well stayed there. this morning was dry but sky still very overcast looking so we booted home as fast as our wee legs could take us.
so now tyres are well scrubbed in, great in the dry and confidence building in the wet. i'm very pleased i got the avons and that will probably be my next choice as well. not saying they're the only choice but anyone thinking of them but not sure, i don't think you'll fault them for their wet/dry performance. 

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: avon tried out.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:16:55 pm »
Which Avons are you running?

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 06:15:17 pm »
should probably have mentioned that....sorry.
avon 3d ultra extreme.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:50:41 pm »
Whilst I am a big fan of Avon I had a bad experience with the 3D XMs the front went out of shape within 800 miles.
Spirit STs are good. My favourites were Storm 2 Ultras,(no longer available)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 08:20:41 pm »
well thanks for that rae, i should have another 300 miles of trouble free riding then !
it is very annoying indeed when you get a faulty tyre, never got one on a bike but so far have had three bulged tyres on various cars, twice they were replaced no problem but once it was apparently my fault. the tyre was 3 days old when i noticed a big bulge, the guy, not my normal dealer sent tyre back and was able to tell me i had hit a pothole..... which i disagree with. that said it was a zeta tyre and in my opinion is only fit for a wheelbarrow. the other two were brand name tyres and it was my normal tyre supplier, so i guess you get what you pay for....occasionally