Author Topic: Tank Bags  (Read 1681 times)

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
Tank Bags
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:09:45 pm »

Hi Guys

I like the cubby on the K1300GT - but its narrow and deep - can be hard to fish out something while seated.  I always prefer a small tankbag for things like ferry tickets, ear plus etc.

I found this one by GIVI and it was so simple to fit the ring to the bike and the mechanism is the best I've found so far. Easy to pop off when re-fuelling.

https://youtu.be/DJUsIZJxLnQ

Simples! ;D

At last something designed by someone who has actually ridden on 2 wheels.

Dave
Bigbikemad Channel

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
Re: Tank Bags
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »
I like it, and there is a good  range of sizes that fit the ring.
I have a SWMoto tank bag, with an equivalent attachment ring mechanism.

The Givi scores over it with the key lock option.  The SWMoto has a pin (optional € extra) which is put into a hole in the bottom of the bag so that the bag can't be unclipped from the ring. The problem with this is that to install/uninstall the ring, you have to remove everything from the bag, or al least push it all out of the way.  The Givi external lock is much better.

Also the SWMoto is unclipped by pulling a cord at the front. The lever on the Givi is far neater and more positive.

Sorry I didn't see these before buying the SWMoto.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 06:34:36 pm »
Another score for the Givi is that the Bags Connection release cord can get unclipped from the body of the bag and lost underneath the bag when you refit it. When you come to refuel you can't get the bag off...ask me how I know, in a rainstorm, in deepest darkest Wales, with the gauge on empty'ish!

I now have a second emergency parachute cord attached to the release ring.

revd

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 10:24:13 am »
SWMoto Tankbag on my Triumph Sprint. Very useful piece of kit and easy to get on/off for fuel stops etc.  Will think about one for the K, but it comes with a BMW Tankbag as part of the purchase price, so I'm probably going to stick with that.  I will get a topbox plate though as it does make life easier when touring to have somewhere to stash the lid safely.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 11:16:05 am »
I found the BMW tank bag ok for touring when you need the extra space but for day to day running about something smaller was more practical. I had the SW Motech 5 Lt expandable to 7 Lt bag.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 12:07:46 pm »
Yup, the expandable BMW bag is reasonably large. The positive bit is that the expandable one holds a day's worth of kit - shoes, clothes, toiletries, leccy gubbins. In my case that's what comes into the hotel. Everything else stays in the panniers (spare clothes, waterproofs, locks, tools, etc).

It's overkill for wallet & phone, but then again, 'What'll hold a lot will hold a little'.

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:19:47 am »

I did have a look at the SW Motech one too, but, it is, as has been noted, more complicated.

More of a faff to install and not so easy to take on and off.

https://youtu.be/98ZzeZncfXU

That said, I thought it was a bit more Germanically robust...if you know what I mean. ;)

Bigbikemad Channel

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 10:27:06 am »
I started with the BMW bag but moved the Baglux bag when I was given a tank cover. I still use the Baglux bag on the Kawasaki. 

PS given the forum, I deliberately picked a picture with a couple of K1300Ss! :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org