Author Topic: Track Day  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
Track Day
« on: September 12, 2021, 10:11:48 pm »
It's taken a while to post, but did my first track day on 11th August at Castle Combe.  I took the K1300S, as I was also riding up to the circuit, so arrived complete with Luggage.  I think the most nervous was lining up for noise testing, as I had heard that it was pretty strict at Combe, but passed no problem 102db at 8000 RPM, with a 105db limit. 

Was placed in the 6th group of 6, so seemed like a really long wait to the first session, but after that they came thick and fast.  First session was pretty steady, building up the pace in the later sessions, no major mishaps, although I had one "moment" in the second session, getting off line and late on the brakes heading into Quarry corner.  Stayed on track, but nowhere near where I should have been, got the bike slowed down, gather my thoughts and off we go again. 

Overtaking was interesting, but the K1300 was brilliant here.  I went with a couple of mates, and followed one on his Monster, trying to get past a Fireblade for a couple of laps.  He was quicker through the corners, but didn't have the speed down the straights.  Eventually managed to get past, and I followed through down the next straight.  175BHP is quite useful here.

Elsewhere the K felt all of it's 250kg, often feeling very fidgety over the bumps, and quite unstable through the fast kink at the end of the start finish straight.  I had one session with one of the instructors which was really useful, improved my lines and my body position, and encouraged me to get on the throttle harder, which also helped to settle the bike.  All in all, the K was not bad on the circuit, and was much better than my mates Monster on the 2hr ride home! 

Here are a couple of pics, not as spectacular as it felt.  It was a brilliant day, and I will definitely be going back.  If you've ever thought of doing a track day, I would heartily recommend it.  Castle Combe was excellent, although the track time is lower than other venues, only 12 bikes on circuit is brilliant for a beginner.

Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Track Day
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 10:49:32 pm »
Pictures say it all. Looks like you was having a great day. No messing about covering up all the glass.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

revd

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 05:26:05 am »
Fully agree with that. A track day also lets you know what your bike can do if you really push it.  Helpful in knowing how hard you can corner and accelerate and brake!!  I've enjoyed mine on Brand's Hatch and Pembrey. Looking to do another at some point, but really do need to find the time. 

Did you drop tyre pressures at all?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 07:08:15 am »
Enjoyed the write up.

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 09:10:07 am »
Did you drop tyre pressures at all?

I didn't touch the tyre pressures, the instructor suggested it wasn't needed.  It was my first track day, so pace not really high, and sessions are short.  I was surprised at how much it chewed up the tyre surface though
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 09:13:38 am »
Nice one Grumpy

Absolutely agree that you learn more about the performance envelope of the bike then you would just riding on the road. Brave though.... with all that standard difficult to replace body work. Great that you had an enjoyable time and was able to ride home safe and sound.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 08:06:02 am »
Brilliant , practice leads to perfection.
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 11:05:37 am »
I did many track days at The Ring and Cadwell. I know which one I prefer.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.