Author Topic: Mandatory Fitting of Speed Limiters Has Been Approved!  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
Mandatory Fitting of Speed Limiters Has Been Approved!
« on: July 19, 2021, 04:43:44 pm »
Wow! New legislation has just been passed to fit speed limiters to all new cars from 2022.

The mandatory speed limiters will be introduced at the same time as a raft of other safety equipment, which includes data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system, reversing sensors or cameras, and pre-wiring for alcohol interlock devices. All new models given type approval from May 2022 onwards will be required to have these systems, while models on the market prior to that date must have them by May 2024.

Doesn't look like it applies to bikes as yet!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Mandatory Fitting of Speed Limiters Has Been Approved!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:27 pm »
I'm guessing the speed limits are somewhat high - like 120/130?

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 07:07:17 pm »
He was a rubbish mayor and now he is a rubbish prime minister. Come the next general election you know whose party you do not vote for

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 07:16:01 pm »
Let's stay away from politics chaps, it never ends well.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 07:39:57 pm »
You tell him Rae - it never ends well. Oh, I thought you meant for Boris.  :thumbsup:

Extract:
https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/safety/speed-limiters-mandatory-on-new-cars

In certain circumstances, yes. An example of this would be if you’re overtaking on a road where there’s a decrease in speed limit.
After alerting you, the car will automatically start to slow down. By pushing down hard on the accelerator, you can override the system and complete the manoeuvre safely.

If you stay above the speed limit the system will sound a warning and display a visual alert. The alerts will remain on until the driver is within the speed limit.

The system has an on/off switch too. The default setting for the system is on, but it can be switched off. 
If you turn it off, the system will remain off until you restart the vehicle.

I've no doubt there will be some clause in your insurance that puts you at greater blame if it's found to be turned off....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:42:06 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 08:09:30 pm »
VPN gives private internetting, something will need to be done to enable driving to be free again perhaps. Unless we agree to turn into people to just go from A to B. And never need to escape the law after being imprisoned for a crime we didn't commit, following which, and if you could find us, maybe you could hire, the K Team.

So yeah, building an illegal mobile signal damper is easy, and someone will need to work out how to simulate legal journeys to overwrite the 'illegal' ones that he logged locally.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:13:15 pm by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:40:36 pm »
Obfuscation.
Have a device that emits 500 journey datasets every time you take a single journey. They won't work out which is the real one.

The downside is the huge wasted effort in generating the false data.
Back in the day (well - 2015 in the case of that book) you might have said it's a minor issue, but not nowadays with bitcoin mining hammering the electric supply.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:09:40 am »
I'm guessing the speed limits are somewhat high - like 120/130?

I've not read the detail but I'd expect GPS to be used to help establish the limit where the vehicle is currently and the limiter set accordingly. I really can't see the Germans being happy with any form of restriction or warning on the unrestricted parts of the Autobahn.

We'll now have the fun on motorways and dual carriageways of being sat for miles behind the cars doing 70.01mph overtaking the car beside doing 69.99mph. No one will move out of the way because "we're all doing the speed limit".

The one good thing from this is it reduces the justification for speed cameras, both fixed and mobile.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 08:55:06 am »
Just fit an insurance black box into every vehicle, regardless of age (yours or the vehicle!), and you're cooked.

But I agree - I can't see people accepting it, long term. Expect a backlash.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:57:37 am by richtea »

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 10:12:23 am »
Its also possible that this is the pre-runner to road charging. When we all have electric vehicles the Govt will need to find another way of getting the tax back now we don't use heavily taxed petrol, and we don't really want 80% tax on our eclectic - if your car knows how many miles you have done it could be used to cost your use - connected straight to your credit card  :o

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 01:01:05 pm »
Although we should remember that leaving the EU means we don't get their GPS satellites to use. And we obviously can't use the american ones.

By use I mean rely on for important things, when a foreign power has the on off switch.

We/the idiots have bought into a company to remedy that, but they are launching comms sats not GPS.

So it'll be a while for anything that needs guaranteed accuracy with legal repercussions etc. for users.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 04:08:23 pm »
There's always a work around  8) ;D ;D
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 04:19:33 pm »
I remember getting my first bike with a EDR on it, the Kawasaki Versys 1000, the trigger unit was at the back of the headlamp, so a quick check of the wiring diagram then a little mod, Job done no more EDR, so the dealer can't check if the bike has been in a bump or dropped when you partex it.  ;D
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul