Author Topic: Looking for new sat nav  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
Looking for new sat nav
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »
My Zumo 550 has final died - non responsive screen

I'm looking for a replacement which
- supports Bluetooth for my phone
-  I can wire into my existing power lead
- has decent software that allows me to plan a route on my laiptop then upload it to the sat nav unit.

What are the recommendations?

(Edited to remove ref to canbus)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:52:05 pm by Greenman »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Looking for new sat nav
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:31:14 pm »
What exactly do you mean by compatible with canbus?

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:51:21 pm »
Scrub that

I mean I want to be able to wire it into the socket on the bike that my 550 plugs into and turns on with the ignition.

Looking at most sat nav units it looks like I just need to splice the new power lead i to the old one.

Halfords have a good price on the Tom Tom 400.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:27:17 pm »
I have the Tomtom 400 and am very happy with it, Timbox also has one, my mate Paul has just bought one too.
I must say that I am biased towards Tomtom, I didn't like Garmin much the routing algorithms did peculiar things and the routing software was terrible. I use ITN Conveter and Tyre to plan routes, and getting them onto the unit is easy peasy.
The cheapest I've seen the 400 premium pack is £320

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:30:34 pm »
Thanks

I've always had Tom Tom in my car but I got lucky with a used Zumo 550 for the bike about 3 years ago.  I like the (feee) traffic function but I have never fathomed out the route planning (base camp) and for that reason alone I'm minded to go back to tom tom.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:34:15 pm »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:42 pm »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:50:52 pm by raesewell »

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »
Thanks

Not bothered about premium pack / car mount as I have an in car unit now.

Hard to beat the Halfords price of £270 less 10%

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 06:13:56 pm »
Just been quoted £40 plus p&p for a new screen and digitiser (fitted).

That should buy me another year or two.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 10:22:36 pm »
Must say that I have upgraded to a Zumo 590 but much prefer the display on the older Zumo 550.

I don't want to see the speed limit and other information that is squeezed into the 590 display and is for me not easily read.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:05 am »
Must say that I have upgraded to a Zumo 590 but much prefer the display on the older Zumo 550.

I don't want to see the speed limit and other information that is squeezed into the 590 display and is for me not easily read.

Isn't it strange how requirements for a simple navigational aid can differ so much? For me, the speed limit is one of the most essential pieces of information on the screen while I'm on my commute in town. With so many changes of speed limit, with my eyes on the other traffic, pedestrians etc., my mirrors, doing lifesavers and me riding to the conditions, it's really useful to know where I can instantly find the current limit when a plod speed check/camera comes into view.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:56:33 pm »
Ditto to David's comments!

As a lifelong Garmin user I too am biased!

However, since my beloved Streetpilot 2820 went the way of all flesh (and was then donated to Steve who got it working again and I imagine it still is and will be long after the Pyramids have crumbled to dust) and I bought a 660, I have never been down so many blind alleys, taken so many unnecessary 'long' cuts, been down so many green lanes which a m/crosser would struggle to get down, been so confused and befuddled in my entire life.

To echo Rae's comments about the routing algorithm, it seems to me that it is either black or white with no common sense thrown in.

In shortest route it will literally take you the shortest way even if no-one in their right mind would go that way.

In fastest route it will take minor road shortcuts that might shave 2 seconds off your time if you don't meet anything coming the other way, again with no common sense thrown in.

Now, I thought this was because I use it in 'motorcycle' mode even in the car. My logic is, I want to have the same information in the same place on the screen so a fleeting glance tells me exactly what I need to know.

But, I have tried it in 'automative' mode and it still puts the bloody car down places I wouldn't go during daylight hours even in my rallying days!

So, do what you will with this user's experience when the time comes to change.

Brian (who might not be too biased in the future)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 02:01:04 pm »

Isn't it strange how requirements for a simple navigational aid can differ so much? For me, the speed limit is one of the most essential pieces of information on the screen while I'm on my commute in town. With so many changes of speed limit, with my eyes on the other traffic, pedestrians etc., my mirrors, doing lifesavers and me riding to the conditions, it's really useful to know where I can instantly find the current limit when a plod speed check/camera comes into view.

Have to agree with you on this one, I also find it very useful.

And its great if you go abroad. One of my favourite things is hitting an Autobahn and seeing the speed limit disappear.

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 09:29:23 pm »
Alternatively use an app on your phone . I have calimoto loaded, the first map of your choice is free then a one off payment for each map or a larger one off for all maps. Not used it on bike yet but it is designed for bikes using non motorway routing. Probably better for days out rather than getting from a to b in a hurry. Not available for Apple at the moment.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:18 pm »
I have Tomtom and Sygic on my phone and the problem with using a phone as a Sat Nav is the size of the GPS chip in the phone, it's a bit under powered and the positioning is a bit sluggish, this will improve as phones get better but it's not as good as a dedicated unit.