Author Topic: Chains (they make one of the wheels go round I forget which)  (Read 150 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Chains (they make one of the wheels go round I forget which)
« on: April 30, 2024, 09:38:40 am »
Chains!

As it's finally a blue sky day I've wheeled the bike to my exclusive cleaning area (the patio) and after 20,000 miles I'm thinking of replacing the chain and sprockets before the Old Gits.

So far I've found myself at the below website
https://www.wscperformance.co.uk/products/525-pitch-112-link-chain-choose-your-chain?variant=35683586801832
I'm staring at the option "DID ZVMX Super Street (Recommended up to 1300cc) / Gold/Gold"

And then a Supersprox front and rear steel sprocket. Before I green light the flip out of this purchase, does anybody have any big time cussing to do regarding those product choices?

NB: I've no intention, desire, or chicken lips to change the number of teeth or beaks.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Chains (they make one of the wheels go round I forget which)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 10:04:40 am »
I can't comment on the specifics of your suggestion but would say that, as the KTM engine puts out some really significant amounts of torque, going for the best quality chain and sprockets that you can is likely to be money well spent. This is especially if you intend to keep the bike for the next 20k miles.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 10:44:59 am »
...agreed, but as I discovered on my return to chain drive with my (now Matt's) little Honda, even a decent name is no guarantee of decent quality. I realise that OEM stuff is bought by the gazillion at a price and quality that may not reflect the aftermarket product straight from the maker of the item, but damn well should do.

The original D.I.D. chain Honda fitted was as stiff as a poker after about 300 miles and no amount of lube would make it bend. It wasn't just mine, other owners also complained of this and I doubt the outrageously high output of 24bhp was doing much to trouble the rollers.

As a shaftie rider I decided to take the advice of the local off-road place and they produced a gold X chain of unknown (to me) origin but as they look after all the local dirt and enduro bikes and used to be a KTM main dealer, they wouldn't fob any old rubbish off on their loyal customers. Only time will tell if it lasts in Matt's hands.

I would have thought that a KTM specific forum would give some insights, you can't be the first to finish a chain off.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 11:14:13 am »
Oh for sure. My current choices above are from those readings of KTM forii. However I know you lot are all a friendly bunch (apart from Richard and his insistence on slaughtering a goat in front of a primary school every Tuesday) where I can ask silly questions :).

I've just given the bike a good clean and the chain is sticking in a few links so i'm going to buy the above stuff once I've read my workshop manual and assured myself I can manage this massive task! Oh, and I should check the chain guide things.

Before I put my rose tinted spectacles on I must remind myself my shaft peed oil on my rear tyre TWICE with my K, so... yes.

I'm also going to take the wheels off today and pick one of my fancy waxes/sealants/goat blood cocktails to try and keep them orange for longer.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 12:20:31 pm »
Well, when I got new tyres the guy at the front desk knew the rear wheel went on with a 260Nm torque but apparently the actual fitters didn't.

I need a longer bar.

Edit: I found a longer bar.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 12:38:05 pm by Matt »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 04:48:28 pm »
I always liked the Railway Tavern, that had a very long bar...

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 09:07:19 pm »

I need a longer bar.

...or a Torque multiplier. Assuming you could find something to put the arm against. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-6948-mini-torque-multiplier-34-to-1/

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:31:41 am by andym2 »