General forum area > Other (K) Bikes or anything else!

Today's steed - BMW R nineT

(1/2) > >>

richtea:
R nineT - see what they did there.

After having ridden round Wales for days and 500+ miles on a buttery smooth K1300S, this bike is a shocker (sorry NOG!)
I really want to like it, but seriously no normal human bean could go more than 100 miles on it without crying.

Anyway, here's are the pros I can give - grudgingly:
- nice and minimalist, round clocks, normal switchgear (inc cruise control!)
- a real key, hurrah!
- light and easy to steer
- enough oomph to overtake nicely in 3rd and 4th (110 bhp?)
- seems to have good suspension and brakes but I wasn't pushing it too hard

And the cons:
- vibrations. Just so much. Didn't someone invent the balance shaft once?
- mirrors that blur to XX variations of a white car behind. Is it police? F*** knows.
- low revs and town work - you have to be in second or third at most for town, no 5th gear pottering on this bike. I thought big twins were supposed to be grunty. Not this one.
- pegs forward compared to seat. Oww.
- skinny seat like it was made for a 17 year old on his first big bike. Like a kife through buttex. Double owww.
- rock hard seat. See above. Triple owwww.
- engine hunts if you hold the throttle in the same position - through town, its just gently but irritatingly go-stop-go-stop

So its a no from me. I have to ride it 30 miles back this afternoon. Not looking forward to it.  :( :( :(

black-k1:
I have no hands on (bum on??) experience of the R9T but I understand that they really benefit from a remap, which would address some of your concerns.

Otherwise, I think it's targeted at a very different audience compared to the K1300S.

Like you Rich, I too don't really understand why people would buy one!

Swindon Andy:
I've borrowed one of these R9Ts, also a GS and didn't like either of them. The main dislike for me is the boxer engine, it feels like a diesel after our 4s. The R9T I agree with your every word. I understand why others like the GS but not for me. (Maybe when I'm in my 80s though.)

Matt:
I had one with the fancy paintwork for a day some years back when I had the K still. I felt similarly at first. Then I parked it up next to an old old Daimler or something at a country pub and thought OK it looks the part. Then when I got back on it I rode it completely differently to the K. No rush, just distract yourself thinking about the brown leather jacket and matching gloves you need :D.

It's a leisurely ride bike, not at all suitable to join our ride yesterday for sure. Also I suppose it's an easy in to the whole custom bike scene, soft landing via am extensive BMW catalogue and expensive third party ready made packs. So you're unique. Just like a goth until they meet all the other goths.

Anyway I quite like em :p. But it'd be at least bike number 3 now so probably never really.

Phmode:
My mate the postie bought one with the fancy tank paint but it was dog slow, or he was, and then it had a problem of some sort and Cotswold took it away and then wouldn't call him or return his calls...

All in all not a nice experience. It went and he bought a quack of some description. Bet he wishes he hadn't bought the fancy helmet and jacket to go with the retro looks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version