Author Topic: replacement tyres  (Read 9187 times)

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
replacement tyres
« on: September 15, 2015, 01:56:22 pm »
My current Michelin Pilot Road 3s are worn down and won't make the next MoT so I'm looking for a new set.

I'm minded to replace with the same as I've been happy with them for the 2k miles I've done (I bought the bike used), probably from GS Motorcyles Tyres Mobile (from Reading).

Should I be considering anything else?

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Re: replacement tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:23:29 pm »
Pilot Road 4's, I have them on both my K13 GT and my Kwak Versy's 1000. Nothing but praise but cannot confirm high mileage potential as too early.

JS.
JS

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:10:00 pm »
I have said this several times in different threads. Don't discount Avon Storm 2 Ultras they give good mileage and have good grip in wet and dry. I found the PR3s to be squirmy over white lines in the wet.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:58:23 pm »
mmm - food for thoughts, even thought im only a fair weather, sunday afternoon rider

i'll get some comparative quotes

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:04 pm »
Before I sold my K13GT I had PR3s which lasted a good 8000miles. They were followed by the PR4s. Again an excellent tyre in both dry and wet conditions (didn't experience any squirming over white lines over and above what white lines normally present as a hazard in the wet). However, the PR4s only lasted 6000miles. As already stated, very grippy tyres, but presumably a softer compound on the PR4s??

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:13:33 pm »
(didn't experience any squirming over white lines over and above what white lines normally present as a hazard in the wet)
I think what you've just said here Steve is that you do experience squirming over white lines, but it seems to be acceptable to you.
I don't get squirming over white lines with Avon Storm 2 Ultras.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:02:16 pm »
Just to be clear Rae, yes, regardless of tyre brand, I have experienced a slight 'squirming' when travelling over painted thick reflective white lines (ie those that are noticeably thick and raised when riding over/across them) in the wet. Doubtless not helped by the fact that when contoured, these erfin lines/markings do present a real hazard! Heaven help when I encounter the suicidal 'armadillos' that councils are raving about to protect the other VRUs......cyclists!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 07:21:44 am »
My money will go to Pirelli for Angel GT this time.
Embrace the wind.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:45 am »
My money will go to Pirelli for Angel GT this time.
The Pirelli Angels will be my next tyre to try.

Offline jqworle

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1600GT Sport owner
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:39:57 am »
Another vote for Pirelli Angel GT,s, won't have anything else on the bike, superb in wet and dry ,2 trackdays done and 3000 miles and they hardly look worn.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:54 pm »
One of my IAM group guys have been given a set of Pirelli Angel GTs to try and he says an amazing transformation. He's only done 500 miles so far and will be interested to see what sort of mileage they do.
Has anyone had the Pirelli Angel GT's and what sort of mileage did you get?

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 05:13:14 pm »
well having booked in with GS Motorcycles in Reading (who have changed their tariff and now charge extra for the mobile service), it seems the PR3s are hard to get so I've gone for PR4s at £302 ride in/ride out.  I may have been able to get them cheaper elsewhere but:
 - I prefer to use a service I've used before and therefore trust
 - It's an excuse to get my bike out on Saturday and take a long over due ride

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 07:12:32 pm »
My got the prices are amazingly high there. Pr4 are 290 euros and Pirelli angel at 330 in between are all other manufactures here. Replacement includes fitting balancing coffee and a coupon for 10percent discount on next visit.
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 07:45:14 pm »
One of my IAM group guys have been given a set of Pirelli Angel GTs to try and he says an amazing transformation. He's only done 500 miles so far and will be interested to see what sort of mileage they do.
Has anyone had the Pirelli Angel GT's and what sort of mileage did you get?

GT A on a K1300S:
- 7,600 miles from the rear
- 6,300 from the front

And fab handling compared to the few other tyres I've tried. I'll be going back to a GT A front next time (from a PR4), even though I suspect the PR4 will last longer.
I favour feel over longevity!

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:56 pm »
I don't think there is a GT A front I thought it was only a GT A rear. I am willing to be enlightened.