Author Topic: Old Gits 2023 - Italy Lakes and Mountains - June 2023  (Read 5077 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Old Gits 2023 - Italy Lakes and Mountains - June 2023
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2023, 06:39:49 am »
A Friday night meet up in Bethune was followed by a long haul through France, 480ish miles.

But now all arrived in Baveno, Italy on the shores of Lake Maggiore

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2023, 04:29:32 pm »
Another wonderful day with excellent roads though the weather is a little on the warm side.

Quiz for the day. What repairs does a GS need mid trip? ;)

Answers on the back of a 10 pound note sent to the Old Gits. :D  The winner gets to buy Tom and Phillip a beer each!  :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2023, 05:23:04 pm »
Hope you have a great time David.

As for the quiz, there are soooooooo many things to list we would need a toilet roll to list them. How about the fuel sensor strip recalibration if that is still a thing. I'm sure that there are way more new and complex things to fail before it gets down to hardware issues though.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2023, 07:14:01 pm »
Today ...

:winkthumbs:  :winkthumbs:  :winkthumbs:  :winkthumbs:

Nothing more to say!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 07:16:06 pm by black-k1 »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2023, 11:13:51 pm »
I liked it so much I did it twice (the route around the passes in both directions). Only lost the front end twice and have no idea of lean angles, but the k13 at full chat on the quickshift echoing of the rockface howling, and cracking on the down shift is good for the soul. Takes a lot to thrash a k13 but this is a good place to start #gotthard #furka #grimsel #simplon

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2023, 05:16:26 pm »
Left Fondo this morning and came across Timmelsjoch. Fuck it was cold!

Those who thought mesh gear was cool discovered it was way more than cool!

We got pulled by Austrian police for a noise check. Apparently there have been too many "baffle out selfish bar-stewards" upsetting everyone that you're not allowed over many of the passes if your bike is more than 95db. 5 minutes delay while our documents were checked before we could continue.

In Germany for tonight then the dash to Calais

A great weekend and I didn't need to get the waterproofs out once!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:42:56 pm by black-k1 »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2023, 05:46:40 pm »
Excellent! I thought of you when I read about the MCN journo getting his SX nicked from outside his hotel in Naples(?) having not been gone two minutes.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2023, 09:35:49 pm »
Excellent! I thought of you when I read about the MCN journo getting his SX nicked from outside his hotel in Naples(?) having not been gone two minutes.

Oh don't say that! I'm thinking of getting a boat over to southern Italy if I ever work out how to get home! Currently in northern Croatia, tomorrow heading south.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2023, 11:12:22 am »
An excellent trip, and many thanks to David black-k1 for arranging it. Top job!

Everything went without a hitch - no punctures, no mechanicals, and even the weather was kind.

A few random photos. It's difficult to capture the massive extent of the view that you get on the mountain tops.
The same goes for the passes - vehicles look like sedate ants down below, whereas in reality there's a howling din of full-on acceleration followed by singing discs at each hairpin.

MMR (Matt, Martin, Richard):

Top of the Timmelsjoch pass:

Where shall we get lost today?

All-day pass riding is quite tiring:

Cake for breakfast anyone? A whole separate cake island of choice including marbled tart:

Another marbled tart - Isola Bella, Lake Maggiore:

The Dolomites, with spiky peaks. A few less hairpins and more fast flowing corners. Thoroughly recommended:

Panorama of one of the smaller passes - right button -> open photo -> full size and scan it left/right. It still doesn't do it justice, but just imagine the local transit van coming at you:

No, I don't want to be in your photo, Matt:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:18:27 am by richtea »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2023, 12:37:53 am »
EDIT: ADDED MAPS

So  you want piccies. Ok have some piccies

The night before the off

Day 1

Eurotunnel

Day 2

The Ibis hotel in Bethune with a few other people turning up

When we finally got into the hills towards the end of day 2, a lake somewhere near Annency

Some more lake and mountain views not long before arriving at the hotel for night 2 near Albertville. Camera can't give the sense of the size of the view

Day 3 morning at the hotel near Albertville

On the way to Baveno, this is the Hospice du Petit St Bernard

This is the hotel at Baveno and the lakeside. Very good. We now had a full Old Gits crew with a real mixture of bikes

Day 4 we went off to do some more passes - the Simplon, Grimsel, Furka and Gotthard.

This is the Simplon Pass which wasn't too full of hairpins, a nice break in for what folllows

This one is just over the top of the Grimsel, where they are building a new dam. You can take the civil engineer into retirement but...

This is typical of the approach to the passes. Looks all very nice and then you suddenly see the road going up the side of those slopes...

They've done an amazing job bridging and tunnelling the motorways up into the mountains. This is typical and not unusual

On day 5 while Matt and RT went boating on the lake I went and did the same route again but in the other direction. The first time I'd nearly lost the front twice on the Grimsel but managed to avoid that second time around.

No space for a hairpin? No problem sir, we'll just hang one out over the edge for you (Gotthard)

Looking back down the Gotthard. There's an old road which has cobbled sections, I did a bit and decided to cross back onto the new one after getting rattled and bounced for a few miles.

Rock and snow protection over the road

Looking off the Furka down the valley towards the Grimsel, far down on the right

Note the edge protection here, just a line of concrete posts, more like a Welsh mountain pass than what you might imagine an Alpine pass would look like. Just keep your eyes on the road and stop thinking about the drop...

Practice improves things but its mentally and physically taxing. I was basically remembering how to ride properly again after 5 years sitting like a sack of potatoes on motorways or clogged UK roads. The empty roads, very variable surfaces, learning how to ride hairpins, and in my case avoid tractors (with luck a Matt video on its way), learning Italian driving riding and cycling styles, tiring but I was mostly happy (honest, I know its hard to tell). Having comms made life a lot safer as the front man could call clear or traffic to those behind. Going up hairpins is harder as you cannot see who is coming down, going down you can look over the edge and see whats coming up. The edge varying from barriers, concrete walls, the odd standing stone, or nothing...

Day 6

This was our lunch stop on the way from Baveno to Fondo on day 6.

Its all salad officer, those fries are not mine

This was the hotel in Fondo. Manager was kind of an Italian version of Basil Fawlty. You had to eat your food fast because theyd have your plate off you before youd finished otherwise. And you HAD to sit in the same place every night or they couldnt work out whod ordered what. Not that here was that much clarity anyway.

On day 7 we did a loop including the Stelvio Pass. It was rammed. We continued over the pass and found a very quiet smaller pass further North, so we went down it and back up again.

Then we headed off and did the Gavia Pass with a coffee stop. Very pleasant with a glacier view. Catch one while they are still here

Then Matt went in and said we were eating out on the 3rd night... next morning i had no chair for breakfast

Weather forecast on day 8 said rain. Didn't know whether to be happy or sad and a week of stewing gently in the textiles at 30C plus was beginning to lose its appeal. Top of the mountains was nicely cool even though you were working hard on the bike,  but dragging through all the continuous Italian villages in the valleys at 30 to 50mph was torture. Anyway we set off towards the Gardena Pass and got 30 odd miles before it did rain. Fortunately we found one of many abandoned farm buildings with large eves to shelter under

Then we found snow/hail lying everywhere. Cleared up shortly after though

Not all the cafes were particularly scenic. In this case RT had stopped to take a picture or something so me and Matt stopped for a sandwich and a drink. After 20 mins or so RT appeared, Having been about 100m back the way doing the same assuming we'd got separated. You see RT , if you had comms it would be sooo much easier...

Day 9 we parted company with Matt as he set off for his own expedition, and headed off North over the Timmeljoch Pass into Austria. Had I known that was where the rebuilt motorcycle museum was I might have tried to plan a bit more time there. As it was the Austrians charged us €16 for the privilege of riding past it...Was pretty cold up there, coldest part of the trip.

After that it was down the mountains into Austria and a not so exciting run to Gomaringen. Motorway services provided the most expensive petrol I have bought since the stupid prices a year ago.

Very hot in the sun and no cool; mountain passes to run to. Derestricted motorways and some very fast estate cars...

After a very enjoyable 100miles or so across the mostly rural,empty and super smooth sweeping roads of southern Germany there was a long slog back up the motorway on day 10, although with no HGVs on a Sunday it wasn't too bad. Final night back in Bethune but this time different hotel and a wander into the square. Interesting place with some notable buildings. Not sure what Bethune had going for it but it must have been a major centre in the past.

Last day was a bit of a slog as the wind was against me nearly all the way along the A303 and A30. Although RT and I did have a nice run through the south downs area from Ashford going west along roads like the A272 which were surprisingly empty for the most part. Beats the crap out of droning around the M25.

And seeing as I was passing I just had to go in...

Back home 3259 miles later, 49.2mph average , and surprisingly 51.7mpg average. Astonished at the fuel economy thrashing the wossnames out of it up and down the mountains. The grinding along the valleys at 30 must compensate. The only time I opened my toolkit pannier on the whole trip was in the shuttle on the way back to get the pump to put a couple of psi in the tyres, which given the battering they got on the road surfaces I'm not surprised at.

Looks like I prefer left handers marginally to right handers

Organisation was excellent, many thanks to Dave. The craic was good. The peage tags from Fulli and Bip and go were somewhat erratic. The memory of the man in the little speaker at one booth shouting "TICKET" so loudly at Matt as he tried to explain he had a tag that I could hear it inside my earplugged helmet 20metres away will last. Never had the K against the stop before, never lost the front end before. The howling exhaust sounds great and when its hot on the way down it starts crackling and banging quite a bit. The local crazy riders, well crazy until midweek when we decided if you can't beat them join them. The scenery is massive and cameras cant do it justice, and there are so many pictures that if you stopped to take all of them you'd never ride more than 500metres before stopping again. My neck more twisted than a twisty thing that's been twisted after trying to look up the hairpins. The parade of classic Bugattis worth millions. Bloody cyclists. The heat and traffic in the valleys. Never ending valley villages with 30 limits. The number of Italian speed cameras in the valleys while up in the hills its no holds barred, and other than the weekend, mostly empty roads. The endless sat nav and route discussions, and the ability of the little boxes running the same software to give us different arrival times and simultaneously tell each of us to go in different directions. I could go on. It was bloody good

Can we go back again please?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 11:01:11 am by fjtwelve »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2023, 07:54:46 am »
Wow, probably the best write-up I've ever seen on a forum. Looks to have been a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2023, 05:19:38 pm »
Excellent write-up Martin - love the maps too.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2023, 09:07:51 am »
A great write up and thanks both for sharing. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and I look forward to seeing you all on future Old Gits trips. Apologies to Martin for leaving him with the beer bill from the hotel in Germany. It really wasn't planned that way.

You were unlucky as I managed the whole trip without a single drop of rain. There were places where I saw it had been raining recently (snowing in the Dolomites!) but I mover actually got rained on.

One of the highlights for me was managing to get past a number of cars and bicycles on the downhill run of Stelvio so that I could actually have some fun. Approaching a left hand hairpin and seeing a group of motorbikes coming up so deciding to take the hairpin on a wide line, then coming directly face-to-face with a Hardly Make-It-Son coming up the hill on a VERY wide line into the hairpin. We both came to a stop, front tyres almost touching and he then looked at me like the situation was my problem to resolve! His mates in the group he was with thought it was hilarious and were doing their best with hand signals to apologise on his behalf.

I can also say that the UK registered K1600 that decided it didn't want to be overtaken on the pass out of Fondo by a pair of H2 SXs, and opened the taps as wide as they'd go found out that his bike really isn't that quick. :D I've no idea why he did it as we'd caught him and his mates up as we were travelling noticeably faster than them, and the mates had had no issues with being passed.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2023, 09:12:40 pm »
I'm still alive. I've made some video that is rubbish from the day we met the tractor. I'll upload it somewhere at some stage.

Currently in Albania with a clutch lever that is getting more free play and starting to drag when full pulled in. On to Ohrid on Wednesday and hopefully a mechanic to look at it.

After this I'm thinking of heading into Greece and then a ferry to Italy. Any suggestions? @Costas! How about you?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2023, 09:38:44 pm »
It's a way from the western ports to Athens. I've sent you Costas's e-mail address as he doesn't visit the forum as much as he used to but if he is in town you will get a right royal welcome. Good luck...