Author Topic: New world, new obstacles...  (Read 6187 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: New world, new obstacles...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 05:53:21 pm »
And further to my gloved finger-trouble on my phone, MRA have just announced this...

https://youtu.be/YH_JCfabwI0

...it is in English (eventually) with Dutch subtitles.

They are touting among the MRA Navigation Next Beta testers to see if there is enough interest to produce an MRA-specific version (flashier, neater and easier to integrate).

I have to say, I still miss the old Streetpilot 2820 (how is it going Steve?) which had integrated short-cut buttons a la BMW navigator sort of thing (but uselessly on the right of the screen (for US car drivers to use with their right hand)!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 10:26:54 pm »
Bit chunky. But then again with motorcycle gloves tha's probably necesssary. It also looks expensive to make.

There are alternatives, but more delicate and geared towards phone calls (unless you can config the buttons):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TUNAI-Button-Media-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B07JQ8Q6X6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satechi-Bluetooth-Button-compatible-Samsung-Media/dp/B00RM75NL0
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goshyda-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Smartphone-Controller-default/dp/B0BJ37K9S9

If we had a Bluetooth whizz-wheel we'd be sorted.
I'll code it if someone will make it. Oh, and we'll need a laywer to keep BMW at bay.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 11:46:44 pm »
If you didn't want chunky you would be happy with the touchy-freely screeny thingy...

I have this huge beef with nearly all modern automotive tech where you have to look to see which of a dozen identical buttons does what. Or at the anodyne screen to see where they have hidden the non-button thingy today.

When I was an apprentice and asked my instructor why the autopilot controls on the aircraft had a dozen weirdly shaped buttons instead of a row of neat little identical square or round ones he gave me a clout round the ear and told me to go figure. Then he poked me in both eyes and made me wear sexy chamois pilot's gloves and told me to go fondle.

In a pitch-black cockpit on a pitch-black night when all the panel lights were off so no-one could find you and kill you, it was obvious that as long as you were not an apprentice you would be able to tell what you were doing by feel. He said!

Give me the old days when 'controls' in cars (and on the odd bike that had any controls) were a mish-mash of pull this, push that, twist this, lift this and move that big thing to the left. Or right. Oh, and a reminder to tuck your thumb in, in case the starting handle kicked back.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2023, 12:50:14 pm »
Agreed completely. I don't mind chunky, but not that many buttons. I'd want them closer to the grips too.
I would prefer a whizzwheel to buttons though, for the same reasons you give - i.e. you don't even need to feel button shape for a whizzwheel. But whizzwheel only gives you 4 directions (and 'Select' IIRC?). You might still need 2 or 3 buttons in addition to the whizwheel - maybe round where the horn is?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2023, 07:23:11 pm »
Take a look here...

https://jaxeadv.com/barbuttons/compatible-applications/#htoc-m

...which is the gizmo shown in the MRA video AND it specifically states it is compatible with MRA Navigation Next Beta (which is what I am failing to test).

The BIG thing about big bar buttons is you do NOT need to take your eyes off the road to feel which button you want. A whizz wheel only does 'something' and you have to look at a screen to see what that is. Pushing the > button moves the screen shot of the map one screen to the right. Simples!

I do NOT want something I have to look at cos that split second is what will cause me to run right up your arse at high velocity  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2023, 08:01:43 pm »
Also...

...I just noticed that they do a set of kit instructions so Matt can 3D print a EuroKClub logo'd version and make them el cheapo for all of us ham-fisted gits  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2023, 08:12:21 pm »
I'm in there - just requested a kit! Can't say no to a kit especially if you have to solder it. Takes me back to the ZX81, and re-soldering it.
It does require USB juice, spacers/some other way of mounting it etc, so its not quite slap it on, but it looks nicely designed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:16:53 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2023, 08:30:43 pm »
Me too! Too much of a deal to miss and too much fun for tinkerers methinks  :)

I am mounting it in place of my Garmin. In other words on a RAM mount off the Hornig ball mount on the inner end of my left bar.

Wish I'd known you were on it, we could have done a multi-buy  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 08:32:11 pm »
C'mon Matt my boy, get the free kit and 3D print your way into the history books  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 08:36:01 pm »
Oh, and the Oxford Smart Glove thingies...

Folks on eBay were selling a card of 6 sticky thingies for £14+.

Bought mine through Amazon which had a picture of FOUR cards of 6 for £15+.

Arrived today, one card of 6.

Sent them back, complained to Amazon and instructed my solicitors.

Oh, and ordered cheaper version off honest sellers on eBay.

I'll wear them to solder the Arduino in place on my BarButton box...

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2023, 09:09:13 am »
Happy to 3d print these if anyone wants one. There's probably scope for a K13S specific mod for mounting. I've also got a few of the Wemos C3 boards they use. Just need to get some button switches.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2023, 01:58:01 pm »
C'mon Matt my boy, get the free kit and 3D print your way into the history books  8)

I'm still struggling to get my bum in gear to print the telescope :D.

I had a quick look at this thing. It looks fancy. How's it talking to the device, bluetooth? I'll have a proper look again when I'm home.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2023, 05:22:11 pm »
Emulating a Bluetooth keyboard I think.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2023, 05:53:41 pm »
Ah yes, makes sense! I was considering putting the s10 to use on the bike instead of TomTom, but as soon as I start thinking intercom plus phone plus bike my head hurts. I should drink more wine.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 07:17:44 pm »
Happy to 3d print these if anyone wants one. There's probably scope for a K13S specific mod for mounting. I've also got a few of the Wemos C3 boards they use. Just need to get some button switches.

That would be neat indeed.

I intend to replace the bar grip blocks which screw into the backplate of the button module, with the square plate RAM ball mount. That way I can have the whole unit floating above and just inboard of the left hand switch gear...ish!