Author Topic: Garmin wiring  (Read 5142 times)

Offline TA

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Power Commander Fuel controller, custom leather seat, LED running lights, SW Motech crash bars with highway pegs, lowered foot pegs
Garmin wiring
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:19:25 pm »
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to wire a gps unit to a 1300R?  Easiest is straight to the battery, but how and where can it be wired to a keyed line?  It only operates when the ignition in on.  Should I bother?  Last, do I add a fuse?
Thanks

Andym535

Re: Garmin wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:26 pm »
On the S there's a connector in front of the battery holder, assume the R is similar. No doubt someone will post a link to the lead you need. No need for a fuse if you the connector.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:55:11 pm by Andym535 »

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:59:01 pm »
Boing

I used that one at some stage. Or double boing wired for a zumo.

Connector is under the airbox cover thing in front of filler cap.

It goes on and off with ignition, delayed off as per bmw usual.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 10:28:23 pm »
Boing

I used that one at some stage. Or double boing wired for a zumo.

Connector is under the airbox cover thing in front of filler cap.

It goes on and off with ignition, delayed off as per bmw usual.

... and no need to add a fuse. The fuse is electronic, like all fuses on the bike (on the S, I suppose the same applies to the R). Once the electronic fuse "blows" (hope that's the correct English), it is OK again after a power on - power off cycle. Don't ask me the amperage at which the fuse blows, but it is high enough. The only thing I remember : higher than the thickness of the wires suggests.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:29:07 pm »
Go here...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=464.msg4177#msg4177

...read the words.

The piccies got stolen by BotoPhucket but the words tell the truth. If you really, really, really need the piccies, pm me and I'll send them.

Lead was about £15 from Nippy Normans last time I checked.

Offline TA

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Power Commander Fuel controller, custom leather seat, LED running lights, SW Motech crash bars with highway pegs, lowered foot pegs
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:33:00 pm »
Thank you for the responses.  I got the BMW connector, 83 30 0 413 585.  I soldered the number one wire to ground, black wire and used number three wire to the red.  The number two didn’t seem to carry any current.  The first time I turned the ignition on the Garmin came to life.  But it would not shutdown no matter how long I waited when I turned the ignition off.  I took the Garmin out of the mount and found power was still going to the unit with the ignition off.  This after two or three minutes.
Any ideas?  Does something need to be reset?.
Thanks

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:52:44 pm »
If the sat nav battery is a little low and drawing current it keeps the connection alive. Under normal circumstances it should shut off after 1 minute.

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 10:23:43 pm »
I removed the Garmin and was still finding current coming to those two little contacts in the mount, this after about 40 minutes.  So the bike isn’t reading anything directly from the Garmin.  It’s now just a live circuit.  I’m still wondering about some sort of reset. 

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 07:35:51 am »
I've not read the words in the linked thread but connecting all three wires is not right. Of the thee wires BMW supply one is ground and the other two are live. One of those is permanently live and the other is live while the ignition is on and stays live for approx 20 seconds after the ignition is switched off. The Garmin should only have two wires connected, ground and whichever live you want.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:23:33 am »
You must have quite literally crossed wires  ;D

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:28:03 am »
I've not read the words in the linked thread but connecting all three wires is not right. Of the thee wires BMW supply one is ground and the other two are live. One of those is permanently live and the other is live while the ignition is on and stays live for approx 20 seconds after the ignition is switched off. The Garmin should only have two wires connected, ground and whichever live you want.

This!

Also, if your bike happens to be on charge then, at least my bike, keeps providing power and the nav never turns orf.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 02:55:39 pm »
Depends on whether you are using the 12v out socket or not; there's a bit in the CANbus that keeps it alive. I use a direct Optimate line onto the battery and the SatNag stays off.

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 03:09:49 pm »
The trickle charger had been connected to the bike but unplugged.  I did disconnect it from the bike even though there was no power.  After sitting over night there  is still power to the mount.  I do have an Optimate on the other bike that I will uss on the k13. 
I checked again and there is no current in the number two wire coming out of the connector. 
Today I’m going to disconnect the battery to reset things.  I don’t know if that will do any good.  After that, I think I will just close up the wiring as is and treat it like it’s wired directly to the battery.  Maybe the bike will ‘learn’ about the Garmin.  One small benefit is I don’t need to add an inline fuse! 

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:08 pm »
Depends on whether you are using the 12v out socket or not; there's a bit in the CANbus that keeps it alive. I use a direct Optimate line onto the battery and the SatNag stays off.

Good pointy point. I do use that port. Or I did, rather.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 04:15:27 pm »
The trickle charger had been connected to the bike but unplugged.  I did disconnect it from the bike even though there was no power.  After sitting over night there  is still power to the mount.  I do have an Optimate on the other bike that I will uss on the k13. 
I checked again and there is no current in the number two wire coming out of the connector. 
Today I’m going to disconnect the battery to reset things.  I don’t know if that will do any good.  After that, I think I will just close up the wiring as is and treat it like it’s wired directly to the battery.  Maybe the bike will ‘learn’ about the Garmin.  One small benefit is I don’t need to add an inline fuse!
You say no current in number 2 wire, was this with engine running?