Author Topic: New From the USA  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Barry in IN

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1992 K75S
New From the USA
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:21:42 am »
Hi.  I just got a 1992 K75S in December. 

I'm returning to riding after being all grown-up for a while- yuck.   The K series has interested me since they came out,  so chances were good that's what I'd get.   It's like I found my "Motorcycle Want List" from when I was last serious about riding, went out, and checked one off the old crumbled list.

Mine only has a little over 12,000 miles/20,000km on it, but I've been replacing all the aged or cracked rubber and plastic parts, changing fluids and filters, etc.   The mechanics of the Ks have intrigued me for years, and now that I have become more familiar with it in that respect, I find it even more interesting. I'll be doing some small job on it and catch myself just sitting and studying it and mumbling things like  "Look how they did that.".

Yes, it's been worth buying just to look at.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
Re: New From the USA
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:36:42 am »
Welcome aboard. :)
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:27:55 am »
Welcome, Barry from across the pond. We don’t have many “brick K” members here but all are welcome and you have my favourite version; a triple!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:00:16 am »
Hi Barry and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub - another brick in the wall  8)

It's great that you have got the two-wheeled itch once more and interesting that you chose to scratch it with a K75. A little bit too naked for my taste but if you are bike watcher then it sure allows great views of the motor. Enjoy!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:06:00 am »
Hi Barry welcome to the forum.

Not a fan of the K75S. Could never stand the shrill noise when it was running and got rid of it quick. Traded it for a VRF750 which I kept for almost twenty years.

At least you can get at most bits on a K75S which is more than what I can say for the K1300S.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:50:25 am »
Hi Barry and welcome.
I had a 1986 K75s that had a really loud whine but I loved that bike. Had a great trip to Venice and Florence via the Alps.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »
Welcome! And I learned something new today then, BMW made a triple!

After a brief google some of them look rather nice!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 02:39:18 pm »
Sometimes I worry about how dumb you are. To paraphrase Margo or Florence or Steve Coogan...

Offline Barry in IN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes.

I actually have a fair reason for choosing the K75.  I have some medical electronics in me and they can be sensitive to vibration,  which sent me looking for the smoothest running motorcycle I could find and afford.  I kept getting directed to find a K75.  Since I always liked the K75 and K100, it wasn't like it was forced upon me. 

When a friend saw it the first time I had the garage door open with the K's engine running.  He has motorcycle experience, but none with BMWs.  After putting his hand on the tank to feel for vibes, he asked if it was a four or six cylinder. I guess that says something for the smoothness of this three cylinder.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:41:33 pm »
Very nice. I have a soft spot for triples - the prefect balance between an overly wide 4 and a lumpy 2.
A modern day K1300/3 might be quite something, if BMW made it. Lighter, better handling, and with 2018 tuning magic, probably almost as powerful.

Offline Barry in IN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 02:41:59 am »
Ooh, half a K1300; I hadn't thought about that.  Or half a K1600. I know it wouldn't happen, but, hmmmm. 

gibbo

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 10:46:00 am »
Thanks for the welcomes.

I actually have a fair reason for choosing the K75. I have some medical electronics in me and they can be sensitive to vibration,  which sent me looking for the smoothest running motorcycle I could find and afford.  I kept getting directed to find a K75.  Since I always liked the K75 and K100, it wasn't like it was forced upon me. 

When a friend saw it the first time I had the garage door open with the K's engine running.  He has motorcycle experience, but none with BMWs.  After putting his hand on the tank to feel for vibes, he asked if it was a four or six cylinder. I guess that says something for the smoothness of this three cylinder.

I don't think a S1000XR would suit you then Barry.  :)

Offline Barry in IN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 09:06:40 pm »
Not in many ways!