Author Topic: Sena 20S. RIP  (Read 10370 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Sena 20S. RIP
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 11:55:46 am »
Having had a poke around the internet Brian, there are a couple of good Youtube videos and it looks like the batteries are available via Ebay or Amazon. The Youtube videos show the same symptoms as yours.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 12:07:45 pm »
Being as you are a bit busy Brian I have done the leg work for you, or should that be finger work  ???
Click Here

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »
I've just bought two Sena intercoms, one for my Shoei Neotec 2 and the other for my wife's Schuberth C3 Pro.

Fitting to the Shoei was easy, the Schuberth less so. I had lots of set - up problems (caused by me, in the event) and spent an hour or so talking to Sena on their chat line on the computer. A very patient lady guided me through it all in real time (i.e. she would provide an instruction, I would carry it out and then we would review its effect) until everything worked.

I've tried both sets a few times since, and so far they have remained "paired"!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 01:15:01 pm »

Now I have to ride to Brum with a cycle security cable and padlock round the rack and the box handle looking like a reject from a rat-bike meet because it might end up following me down the road at some point and the contents on the return journey will be too valuable to lose.

The worst part of the whole story.

Also: I know it's probably no longer relevant, but check the output of the Apple plug unit, and that it's 2A or whatnot. I'm sure my old apple plug wouldn't charge some normal stuff even with whatever usb cabled plugged in. But that is/was from a 8 odd years old plug.

I only thought the above as, as Rich suggests, I think they should at least start up under USB, unless the battery is actually no longer a battery. Has it exploded in your face and you just haven't noticed? :P
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 06:52:28 pm »
Lithium batteries that go into consumer electronics are pretty good on the exploding side - they stay contained & just bulge a little when they're bust.
If you can get to the battery, a bulge is a giveaway.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 07:31:32 pm »
Innit. The early lipos I have for the quad I was trying to build a few years ago scare me big time! But then if it ever flew they would get quite a hard time of it.

I'm wary of the Chinese lipos though, but then they all come from the same place I suppose! Luckily I can fall back on being wary of genocide... And so never buy anything ever again :p.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 07:51:25 pm »
Everything used was exactly the same set up I've always used to charge the damn thing. It's dead. Simples!

And thanks Rae. I should be allowed down off the ladder by to orrow afternoon so will get a round tuit then.

As for the top box, the mystery continues.

However, the plate on the K is an SW-Motech adaptor plate and the one on the Honda is a genuine Kappa (made by Givi). BUT, there are design differences.

Firstly, the rubber cushion buttons that the box sits on are both a different height and a different design as well as being a different material. This may explain why the box has always needed good thump to fit on the K but it doesn't explain why it has suddenly become so recalcitrant. Cold perhaps, bit it was one of the warmest days of the year and it has been used in the depths of an Alpine winter before now with no problems.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 02:51:37 pm »
Back to the Sena...

I have updated the first post with all the technical details so folks don't have to wade through this garbage to get to the end result.

A new battery fixed the problem but I and many others are pretty pi$$ed at having to spend money fixing something that shouldn't be broken. Interestingly many are saying it happened to them shortly after updating the firmware which Rae did on mine when we met up for the Admin Team ride out to Shropshire last year. Then it worked perfectly for the Wrinklies. And then it died. Others are reporting similar occurances.

For the first time ever Amazon was cheaper than fleabay but the guy on eBay was adding postage (which eBay told me was VAT because the guy was in China even though the item was UK stock) to the £18.99 + Free Postage price. Needless to say he didn't get the business.

Amazon's price was £16.99 PLUS £4.odd P&P so I made the usual 'mistake' of clicking on the 'buy with Prime' button and getting free next day postage. Just have to cancel the Prime when the free trial runs out...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 09:16:50 am »
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, I bought the new-ish HD speakers for my Sena and thought you might be interested. They make a difference in clarity and volume, it's not a "WOW" difference but there is an improvement. I got mine from FC Moto

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 10:41:51 am »
I got these after Rae mentioned them, thanks Rae!
In the box there are a couple of different sizes of padding to go behind the speakers. I think I need to get them closer, but then I think getting the lid on and off might get more of a faff.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 11:19:51 am »
You did mention it and I was sort of interested but...

I normally (as in for the last 10 years or more) use moulded ear-phones until my last set managed to break the cable and now they are just snug ear plugs. I did all the research into getting a set with un-Phmode-able carbon fibre reinforced cables but do so few miles these days it doeasn't seem worth the effort.

Even with moulded plugs the volume on the Sena speakers is fine although I guess the clarity could do with improving.

Thanks for the reminder  8)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:38 am »
Good point. I have moulded wired earplugs too. Although again, in my moaning mode, since I've stopped commuting I think my ears have started to get ideas above their station, and it's now getting really uncomfortable/painful after more than an hour with them in.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2021, 04:30:26 pm »
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, I bought the new-ish HD speakers for my Sena and thought you might be interested. They make a difference in clarity and volume, it's not a "WOW" difference but there is an improvement. I got mine from FC Moto

It only says 20S Evo but the plug looks the same(ish). Anyone confirm if they work with the bog standard 20S?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:52:30 pm by raesewell »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 05:16:07 pm »
Ta Rae. Order in.