Author Topic: Sena 20S. RIP  (Read 10373 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Sena 20S. RIP
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:38:31 am »
After five and a half years and having been used about 20 times, last night my Sena 20S failed to respond when I plugged the charger cable in...in fact all five charger cables with two different Apple-type mains adapters.

It was working fine the last time it was used on the Wrinklies and now appears to be deceased.

So, having spent 2015's pension pot to move from the stone age Autocom to the space age, I now have a weirdly shaped paper weight. If only I used paper to need weighing down  :-[

Update to save wading through this whole thread.

A new battery fixed the problem!

This is the Amazon link for the higher capacity replacement battery for the Sena 20S...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Virtual-Channel-External-Adapter/dp/B07TZBRS82/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Sena%2B20S%2Bbattery%2BLP%2B602540&qid=1615981763&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFRM0MwQkFCNDBQVlYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMjU0NzcyNFgwT0w3SUVJMlMwJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMjU1MjgzUU1TNVVMWlpYSFhZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

...and this is the link to a YouTube video showing how to get to the battery...

https://youtu.be/u8chy14Btg4

Taking the thing apart is easy, the part where he tells you 'pop off' the jog wheel was anything but easy. So much force needed that I imagined the wheel was self-destructing. And to a point it did.

Some tiny plastic 'lugs' disasociated themselves from the inside of the wheel but it took so much force to 'pop' it back on that I'm sure it will never come off again.

This guy in the video mentions that the battery is slightly larger, physically, than the original. However, mine was exactly the same size, just 750mA rather than 650mA. Also, there are the same batteries available on eBay but without the connector so be warned.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:33:13 pm by Phmode »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: Sena 20S. RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:41:47 am »
If it's the battery that has died, there are replacements for sale and vids on how to do it.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 09:43:30 am »
Oh dear, my condolences Brian. As suggested a new battery might be needed.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:44:54 am »
Thanks for that Andy.

Not much of an advert for Sena. I'm thinking of going back to tin cans and knicker elastic...

And I blame you Rae, seeing as you are the inly one who ever touched it to pair it with yours  :winkthumbs:

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 09:46:19 am »
It might be worth contacting Motohaus the UK distributor. I think it died from lack of use  :-\

https://www.motohaus.com/sena-uk-distributor/sena-parts-and-accessories.html

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:01:21 am »
I think it is a message from the biking gods to stop arsing around with things I'm not good at.

Just went out to pop the big Givi box on the bike and the lock won't engage with the tang...WTF?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:12 am »
Seized up, lack of use, ride more  ;) ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 10:45:00 am »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 10:51:43 am »
Well, I'm certainly seized up having been stuck at the top of a long ladder for the last two weeks and I certainly don't get much use. Ride more? If only...

A mercy dash across the black country today to replace an essential tool that commited suicide by jumping off the top of said ladder. Could have been worse, could have been me...

The weird thing is that the box clips onto the Kappa rack on the Honda with no problem and the Givi Business Case clips onto either with ease. It is some sort of weird and very sudden incompatibility between the Givi box and the Givi adapter plate on the AluRack. Bearing in mind it has been on and off that rack regulalrly since 2011 on the K12 and now the K13, tis a mystery.

It finally went on with so much force that the bike almost toppled off its side stand.

Now I have to ride to Brum with a cycle security cable and padlock round the rack and the box handle looking like a reject from a rat-bike meet because it might end up following me down the road at some point and the contents on the return journey will be too valuable to lose.

Let's just hope that my riding skills are not in such a state of disrepair. Maybe a squirt of WD in my tea before I set off will ease me back into it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 10:53:57 am »
If Motohaus are unable to help this link might be of interest to you Brian.
https://uk.electronic.partners/services/headphone-repair/recent-headphone-repairs/sena-20s-evo-20s-evo-unknown-repair-in-northallerton-north-yorkshire/

Thanks for that Rae. That is going to be next week's challenge. In the meantime I have to find this address in Brum without spoken instructions from the Garmin. Unless I leave the volume on and let everyone else think I'm a plonker. And yes, I know, but they don't need to...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:16:00 am »
Many 6 year-old phones would be in the same state of dire battery. It's not a bad place to start.
Were they designed to run when connected to the charger? That's also worth a check.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 11:38:29 am »
I have never tried it but I think they do work when charging.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 11:39:44 am »
I think it is a message from the biking gods to stop arsing around with things I'm not good at.

Just went out to pop the big Givi box on the bike and the lock won't engage with the tang...WTF?

Sorry to hear about your Sena unit. As has been said, may be worth looking at a replacement battery.

As for you top box, that is definitely a message from the biking gods ... ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 11:40:46 am »
A phone that had only been used occasionally would still be in good fettle. My ancient Orange Nokia which runs the app for the GS-911 and lives on the bike, still keeps a full'ish charge for months when turned off and that was my primary business phone for 2 years back in the day. Even after a year living in my Sargent Pod, when it comes out for its annual charge, it always turns on.

The Sena should show a red LED when charging and a blue one when fully charged or vice-versa. There is no sign of either and the thing won't turn on.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 11:42:49 am »

Sorry to hear about your Sena unit. As has been said, may be worth looking at a replacement battery.

As for you top box, that is definitely a message from the biking gods ... ;)

I was tempted not to post because I knew you would be claiming it was karma for deigning to fit a top box  :-*

Brian (who really must refresh his emoticons as everyone thinks he love them at the moment)