Author Topic: Battery and charging weirdness  (Read 5893 times)

Online Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
Re: Battery and charging weirdness
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2022, 10:43:34 am »
I have had 2 K1300S's, the last one exhibited a similar problem after using the accessory socket for the battery maintainer, the previous one didn't have a problem with this.

When the charger connects through the accessory socket it activates the ZFE module which the socket it electrically routed through.
I found that the ZFE module used about 0.15 Amps from the battery.
With the charger connected that isn't a problem, but if I disconnected the charger the ZFE module remained drawing 0.15 A & so drained the battery in a matter of a couple of days.
Disconnecting the battery for a few moments then re-connecting cleared the battery drain only to return if I charged via the accessory socket again.
This didn't happen with the previous K1300S.

After discovering that, I connected the charger direct to the battery & had no further problems.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2022, 12:05:45 pm »
That's really amazing news Philip. So much for 'clever' tronics.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2022, 03:25:06 pm »
feels a bit like a thread takeover here...but... when you say cranking voltage is 10v is that after you take the load off? if so i'd say battery fault, even if it's while cranking i still say battery but with less conviction...i'd get that battery tested as chief suspect.

Offline late to the party

• my K1200s is a bit more sedate than my GSXR1000
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2006 granite grey K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1300S driveshaft, K1300s silencer and an AF-XIED
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2022, 07:38:19 pm »
feels a bit like a thread takeover here...but... when you say cranking voltage is 10v is that after you take the load off? if so i'd say battery fault, even if it's while cranking i still say battery but with less conviction...i'd get that battery tested as chief suspect.

The 10v is during the actual cranking. Once the load is removed the voltage returns to 12.something
I spent two weeks of my Police Advanced Motorcycle course on a S1000RR and a further two weeks on a K1300S.  Both bikes were very impressive.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2022, 08:11:24 pm »
You need a new battery.

Offline beech

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexcone
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2022, 11:20:21 pm »
Yes, new battery time and not one from BMW. A nice AGM Yuasa or if your so inclined a lithium with self cell monitoring.  The 10 volts while charging is very marginal. 10.5 in the bottom line of success. Also do yourself a favor and wire in a socket direct to your battery with a 15 amp fuse in line. This will be for charging and if you use heated clothing or a mini air pump this will be the socket to use. A hint, when using a mini air compressor start the bike and let it idle. The 14.2 volts while running will make the air pump run well and generate less heat.
beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2022, 07:44:45 am »
The battery on any K bike is always connected and in such state the time llimit is two years.
Some fortune ones had batteries that lasted more , still the change mark time is two years.
Try a Li Ion battery from a good brand and the new battery will be an issue every five years, bear in mind that for the first 7 minutes every time your shifter will be intolerable and not performing changes , this for K13 bikes, after that youre good to go. That issue with this type of batteries is causing a thousand gremlins in many brands and many bike models espacially those over 600cc. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2022, 07:54:35 am »
I must have been lucky, my original battery lasted 6 years before slowness of cranking when left for a week.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2022, 08:01:13 am »
Still to answer the statement above when put under the dealers PC we see to many issues and faults on bikes with batteries over 3 years.
Erasing them delets the issues, stil, that doesn't mean that the bike performs as it soukd, its the case of simply not being noticed by the rider,  the bike needs diagnostics .
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2022, 11:40:15 am »
You're spot on there Costas with the batteries only lasting a couple of years, especially if the bike is not used regularely.

Just had to put a new battery on mine. Not too bad. £50 for a Yuasa from Halfords with their trade card.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2022, 04:45:13 pm »
One of the least, if totally unnecessary, expenses of K ownership  ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2022, 06:09:51 pm »
My 2013 FJR is still on its original Yuasa, I bet that's put the mockers on it  :-\

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2022, 07:06:20 pm »
I replaced my k12 battery at 97349 miles when the bike was 12 years old.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2022, 07:23:36 pm »
I replaced my k12 battery at 97349 miles when the bike was 12 years old.

I think the moral of this story is, ride more charge less

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2022, 08:34:40 pm »
When I sold my 22 year old Honda CBR1000 F-H in 2011 (with a genuine 9,000 miles on the clock and having sat in my mate's garage, unused, for 15 years) it was still on its original battery and started first time, every time. OK, it was on a charger all the time, but even so. OEM Yuasa lead-acid batteries were obviously better than replacement ones...