Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 2131 times)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
Spark Plugs
« on: May 27, 2022, 04:49:08 pm »
Looking for some advice here.

Was planning a service this weekend as it will be warm, unfortunately my radiator bleed kit is still stuck in transit but I will go ahead anyway.

So, the question is this? Is it possible to change spark plugs without disconnecting the radiator?  I changed headers to Akro's with radiator just pulled  forward so some work is possible without radiator removal. Are plugs a step too far?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 11:14:04 pm »
The radiator has to come out to get at the spark plugs.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 12:45:14 pm »
Cheers,

Thought I'd get away with pulling it forward like with the headers.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 09:46:23 pm »
Am with Tom , needs to come off.
Embrace the wind.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 10:14:19 am »
Cheers, my job for the bank holiday then.  Next question. Has anyone come up with a solution/chemical mix  that will remove crud from radiator without damaging it.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 01:34:16 pm »
If you find a method to clean the radiator let us know. Regular cleaning will stave off the inevitable for a while, but in the end it'll be a new radiator, the crud in there sets like concrete  :-[

Offline commando 848

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED all round, bikini fairing, SC project exhaust carbon belly pan
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 05:01:40 pm »
Whilst cleaning the bike the other week, I tried  "snow foam" which comprises a small bottle that you fill with "snow foam" and connect to a pressure washer. In a short time, the whole bike was covered and I also sprayed behind the radiator. I left it to soak for 10 mins and then rinsed off. The result was very impressive and lots of crud came out of the front of the radiator when rinsed from behind :winkthumbs: No risk of damage as the foam is  low pressure and not corrosive. Maybe worth a try as part of the rad cleaning regime!! :)
Its better to burn out than fade away

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 10:50:44 am »
You’re right commando, I’ve used it for a while now, plenty of pre soak then foam and let it do its job for 10 minutes and back flush if you can. I’m pretty anal when it comes to cleaning the rad.

Regards. Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Karlachuckfin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Motorsport
Re: Radiator Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 07:53:34 pm »
I have tried Easyfoam with reasonable results.

This is used for external air conditioning coils.

Not cheap but worth a go !

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 09:23:27 pm »
Last time I cleaned my radiator I took the fan assy off and wedged a big bucket of soapy water over it as far up as I could get it. Soaked overnight then used a right angled water jet I made out of some copper pipe and blew it out from behind. Seemed to make some improvement. Still on original rad at 30,000 but the fan does come on a lot in slow traffic. I think next time I'll try a plastic bag to extend the height of the soak mix. I'm not sure soapy water is the best soak mix?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 12:37:23 pm »
'Soapy' water, if it made with washing up liquid, can be lethal as it contains 300 times* its own weight in salt.

* That's a guess, no one can know for sure!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 12:53:12 pm »
'Soapy' water, if it made with washing up liquid, can be lethal as it contains 300 times* its own weight in salt.

* That's a guess, no one can know for sure!

Asking Google "does washing up liquid contain lots of salt?" returns the response:

Washing up liquid does contain a 'salt' but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there's no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the 'chloride' bit of the salt.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 02:36:18 pm »
Ack yes I was most upset to discover the truth!  I still disagree with using washing up liquid on principle :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022