Author Topic: New BMW 1250 RT  (Read 4390 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
New BMW 1250 RT
« on: March 06, 2021, 08:01:38 pm »
Ooo, thought I'd just have a poke around and see what the latest & greatest model gets you:

Oh, that went well.
But then again, you could say that about several BMW models.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: New BMW 1250 RT
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:21:59 am »
That's the BMW "hidden cookie" working. It says that as a K1300S rider you'd be bored witless on a R1250RT! :D I suspect the R1250RS and the S1000XR links work fine! ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:09:24 pm »
I did some 150 miles on a 2020 dealer demonstrator in late July of last year and liked it a lot. Plenty of power and much easier than the K1300GT to move around (it feels a lot lighter, although apparently it isn't so different, it's just that the weight is carried low down).

I did find that it isn't as involving as the K to ride however, nor does it have the outright "Get Up and Go" of the four - cylinder engine.

I was impressed enough to try to buy one new at the end of last year, however they had all sold out except for one in a flat grey colour that really didn't appeal. I gave up at that, because I really don't want the TFT instrument binnacle fitted to the current model.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 04:24:27 pm »
Love it. Still is not an all around do it all like a K1300S. And they will never be one such ever.
Embrace the wind.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 07:40:59 pm »
Oh, I don't know Costas. I said the same thing in the mid '80's about my Honda CBR1000 F-H. That was everything the K is to this day, notwithstanding the advances in technology. A genuine 160mph cruise missile with (just) enough in the chassis department to keep up with the sports toys of the day and virtually no wind blast anywhere at any speed. I refused to sell mine even though it had been sat in my mate's garage for 20 years with non-carbing carbs because I never thought I would find anything to touch it.

And then I discovered the K12/13, bought one, sold the Honda and have rarely looked back.

So at some point, just like the mini-skirt and the beard, the wheel(s) will come full circle.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 04:45:12 pm »
I wonder if we're going to be here when all electric dominates. I think we are.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 05:33:09 pm »
I had a go at specifying a 1250RT last night as I do want to like it (with another 30hp maybe) and I got to 23k before I'd even looked at the anodised faffery.

I suppose before I buy another GS I should reacquaint myself with the other bikes using that engine.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 09:13:19 am »
I had a go at specifying a 1250RT last night as I do want to like it (with another 30hp maybe) and I got to 23k before I'd even looked at the anodised faffery.

I suppose before I buy another GS I should reacquaint myself with the other bikes using that engine.

Hi Matt
           I now have the 1250 GS Adventure, the reason being for the lack of fuel stops up in scotland on our out of the way trips and in some places like Wales and Cornwall where the number of fuel stations has been reduced, the low down torque of this 1250 engine is all you need for the twisty UK roads with a set of PR 6 tyres to keep you on line.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 09:19:13 am by TomK1300s »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 10:11:08 am »
Looks great Tom!

I must say the 23L tank on the 1290 GT plus its frugal nature has been most useful in Wales last week (I think ~52mpg indicated, I haven't done the maths in years, 220+ miles anyway). I saw an MT-10 fly past the hotel one night sounding lovely but assumed it was on its way to a petrol station :D.

I could see an extra 7L being quite useful :). Tell me, have you had any issues with the wire wheels? I know reading forums leads to reading problems, but the wire wheels issues (loose spokes, corrosion was it? and something else, maybe ghosts) seemed like BMW had managed to make an old technology problematic.

Regardless I suspect 2023 will see me visiting BMW again.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 12:04:14 pm »
Looks great Tom!

I must say the 23L tank on the 1290 GT plus its frugal nature has been most useful in Wales last week (I think ~52mpg indicated, I haven't done the maths in years, 220+ miles anyway). I saw an MT-10 fly past the hotel one night sounding lovely but assumed it was on its way to a petrol station :D.

I could see an extra 7L being quite useful :). Tell me, have you had any issues with the wire wheels? I know reading forums leads to reading problems, but the wire wheels issues (loose spokes, corrosion was it? and something else, maybe ghosts) seemed like BMW had managed to make an old technology problematic.

No Problems with the wheels or anything else and I do push the bike to some limits, over 19,000 miles on it now and the only thing I have done is grease the drive shaft, BMW seem to assemble them all dry, something to look at on a new bike if you are planning on keeping it for some time, these are the first spoke wheels I have had in over 15 years on a road bike mainly because of all the potholes on the roads today, I do prefer alloy wheels as there is less movment when pushing the bike into corners.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 01:22:58 pm »
Ah yes I had them open mine up to check on the GS and they ended up greasing that too. Then they banged on about normally charging for doing it.

I hope the replacement bike finally sorts that. And the engine and shaft corrosion issues. It's left me paranoid about the engine paint on my ktm!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 10:20:13 pm »
The splines on my R1250GS were greased under warranty after the first service.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 11:14:00 am »

For the upcoming 1300GS?

Is it me, or does that picture looks all wrong. I've never seen a boxer dwarfed by the rider. He's got to be 6' 8" (2m+) or something.

If those cylinders get any bigger you won't need a sidestand. Just lean it on the left pot and walk away.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 01:35:13 pm »

For the upcoming 1300GS?

Is it me, or does that picture looks all wrong. I've never seen a boxer dwarfed by the rider. He's got to be 6' 8" (2m+) or something.

If those cylinders get any bigger you won't need a sidestand. Just lean it on the left pot and walk away.

Got to be worth a try.

And yeah it does look very low. Even in the photo with the 1250 behind it. That really shows the front looking low at least. Maybe they've gone Standard, Low, Ultra Low chassis now :D.

Cylinder head wise, doesn't look as mad to be but I think they've put bags on their heads.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 07:05:08 pm »
I know at least one member who would make a GS look like a mimi-moto...