Author Topic: My "Arty" whisky pic  (Read 16209 times)

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
Re: My "Arty" whisky pic
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 05:39:38 pm »
So, why wouldn't you put water in your whisky? The distillers do; it doesn't come off the still at 40%!

You may like your whisky at 40% or higher but I suggest that you try adding a little water and then nose and taste it again. Hopefully, you will find that you have released notes that you didn't know were there. You may also find that your palate lasts the pace better as spirit at 40% tends to dull it somewhat.

Some years ago we had a tour of the Tallisker Distillery on the Isle of Skye, we were told to add water which does in fact release notes - but NOT to use tap water 'cos of the chemicals in it. Just sayin'.

8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 05:48:26 pm »
For those who do, I am surprised that the distillers, especially the Islay ones, haven't done s major marketing coup and started selling bottled water from the source to add to the liquor.

Brian (who has no sense [of smell] and whose palate was shot many years ago, adding water just waters it down for him)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 06:11:31 pm »
I'm still  in the process of learning how to drink mine. A process i would like to believe it will last as long as i leave.
In order to avoid destroying my taste am only targeting high quality brands, Tallisker is a favorite and easy to find here. :o
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 06:17:08 pm »
I'm in the Scottish malt whisky society they buy casks from the distilleries bottle it and sell it. None of this 45% proof rubbish. Every cask is different. There are clubhouses in leith, Edinburgh and London. And a website. If you like whisky you will not be sorry

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 06:41:37 pm »
I've seen the site mentioned and a couple of others, for the time beeng due ro restrictions opposed by governement am avoiding any interned purchases , son got me a couple of botles , hopefully a casc later on. Will keep in mind your offer amd instructions. Tks
An insider sounds great.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 07:11:15 pm »
The UK standard for drinking water is exceptionally high and the only chemical that would concern me would be chlorine. However that can be removed by the use of a charcoal filter or by standing the water in the fridge for 24 hours to let it gas off. Did you ask them what bottled water they recommended? Many of the spring waters available in bottle come from municipal sources and are sold at enormous mark-up to gullible consumers....and whisky drinkers!
It's true that the different levels of minerals present in hard and soft waters will also affect the flavour of the whisky but that applies to both tap and bottled waters, unless of course you're using demineralised water. Bear in mind that the distillers usually cut the spirit to the bottling strength (usually 40%) at the bottling plant with demineralised water from the town main. Obviously, this doesn't apply to SMWS or other cask strength products.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »
Drinking water standards are very high here too. But for chlorine and some bigger particles have installed a super filter home.
The issue is to find good whiskys, that satisfy personal taste.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »
The issue is to find good whiskys, that satisfy personal taste.

And that's the joy of the stuff - so many different types to try, and even within one range. I remember doing a tour of GlenKinchie, and they explained the colour difference, caused by the source of the barrels (be they British oak or US oak), and there is a taste difference caused by that variance
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...