Author Topic: baffle in and difference in riding???  (Read 2904 times)

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
baffle in and difference in riding???
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:10:24 pm »
Here is a daft one for you. Is it me or has something just clicked in my riding ability.
Decided to refit baffle as commuting all week and going to get in trouble with police at some point.
Anyways, it occured to me that i seemed to be a lot smother and at least 10 mph quicker through corners than normal.
The only thing i can say is that im longer really scrutinising speedo anymore and maybe that the difference. Anybody relate or am i just speaking sh**e,  ;D ;D
Mark Barbour

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: baffle in and difference in riding???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:52:55 am »
I've tried baffle out on both my 1300Ss and both felt slightly down on torque. I ride with baffle in all the time as to me the noise is about right.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:15:31 am »
Baffle in for me. Its way too distracting with it out - for me and The Overtaken.
And as Mab intimates, you really don't want to attract the attention of the police, do you. And it won't attract the opposite sex either.  ::)

Travel fast, travel quiet(ish).

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:47:08 pm »
Keep it quiet(ish) don't bring attention to your self with 'da plod' , but loud enough so pedestrians hear you coming and don't step out in front of you

Unless you're on a 50cc scooter then run without any baffles it always gives me a good laugh.. ;D

Can you imagine how many accidents there will be when electric bikes are more popular.. you'll need to fit bulbar on the front or a couple of pillows

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:54:32 pm »
I nearly got mullared in the gym car park on Thursday. Was just unshackling the Honda from the hitching post and stepped out from behind the bike, backwards, with about 3 cwt. of shackle lock and chain in my arms to dump it in the topbox when a wing mirror brushed my arse. I never heard a thing and was shocked till I realised it was a silent but deadly electric somethingorother.

They should all be forced to have a man/woman/other walking in front going 'brrrmmm, brrrmmm' or have lolly sticks in their spokes.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 06:51:49 pm »
Or a voice: 'This vehicle isn't reversing, this vehicle isn't reversing, ...'

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:48 pm »
I have the solution !!! I have built a couple of half scale cars for the grandkids, they're powered by mobility scooter drives and I've built in programmable engine sound generators. From single cyl to six cyl, Petrol or diesel and you can adjust the volume. Just need a big speaker on the front of the bike.

Regards.  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 01:52:31 pm »
Playing cards in the wheel spokes would solve this.. Not good if they have moon disc hub caps though

Offline Kennycagiva

• Bike mechanic all my life, so no bullshit please?
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r 2009 with all the bells and whistles.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: De-restricted, Hugger, Main stand, AC Schnitzer handlebar kit and exhaust.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:29 am »
It's all psychological. Every time I fitted a loud pipe or can, even if it killed the performance the owner swore it was faster. So now your quieter your actually driving faster within the same psychological volume constraints.
It's also why witnesses always think loud bikes are going faster than they really are.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 05:22:50 am »
It's all psychological. Every time I fitted a loud pipe or can, even if it killed the performance the owner swore it was faster. So now your quieter your actually driving faster within the same psychological volume constraints.
It's also why witnesses always think loud bikes are going faster than they really are.

Indeed. And why wearing ear plugs for the first time is the best "performance add on" you'll ever fit.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 03:29:21 pm »

Indeed. And why wearing ear plugs for the first time is the best "performance add on" you'll ever fit.
I used to wear plugs because of the wind noise in my helmet  :o

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:54 pm »
Did a bike safe course a few months ago and the only mention by the PC was he could hear my gear changes. Any instructor commented more about sons akropovic on his 125.