Author Topic: World Superbike Championship  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
World Superbike Championship
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
Is it just me, or is the anchor man for the t.v. coverage really a text to speech engine that was programmed by a 7 year old?

It is excrutiating listening to the eejit who manages to put the emphasis on the wrong word in virtually every sentance he utters.

Here is just a rich sample from the coverage of the Imola round...

...so the riders are all SET for race two...(so the riders are all set for race TWO?)

...& moves ABOVE Sykes in the championship...(& moves above SYKES in the championship?)

...in THE Ducati pit...(in the DUCATI pit?)

...the RIDERS who finished...(the riders who FINISHED?)

...so PERFECT weekend...(SO perfect weekend OR so perfect WEEKEND?)

...repeats his DOUBLE victory weekend...(repeats his double victory WEEKEND?)

...the first podium OF the year...(the first PODIUM of the year OR the first podium of the YEAR?)

And that was without the spectacle of Laverty climbing off his time bomb  :o

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
Re: World Superbike Championship
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »
...no - not just you...  ;)
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

gibbo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:13:59 am »
Stop it Brian. Me sides are splitting.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:36:43 am »
Just read on the news that Nicki Hayden is in an induced coma after having been knocked off his bicycle whilst out training. According to reports it doesn't sound too good but let's all hope he recovers asap.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:14:32 pm »
I wish his would, whoever he is.

One would HAVE thought that one OF the pre-requisites FOR the job, apart from A knowledge OF the sport would BE the ability to speak proper, LIKE wot I does!

Whilst I am all for diversity and now find the received pronunciation of t.v. presenters of my youth to be equally excruciating on the ears, I find the modern trend, particularly on Channel 5, but the BBC is just as bad, to employ announcers with the most indecypherable and convoluted regional accents.

Having spent many years in the forces, travelling the world and working with folks from all over the world, I like to think that I can understand most people as long as they are speaking my nqative tongue, but some of these announcers seem to have been chosen particularly because they have really 'hard' regional accents.

I seem to recall a study from a few years ago that determined that the Edinburgh accent was the most 'trusted' and easiest to listen to of all the regional variations.

I know I am a softy from the south these days but my linguistic origins are from the very 'flat-vowelled'Manchester and south Lancashire areas but most of that disappeared during my 3 years as an apprentice in the RAF; a great melting pot of cultures, accents and norms.

SWMBO on the other hand can't even understand Jimmy Nail, has no idea what 'Boys from the Black Stuff' was about and althouh she thinks the west country burr is lovely on the ear, she has no idea what they are saying.

Glad it isn't just me then   8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
Just read on the news that Nicki Hayden is in an induced coma after having been knocked off his bicycle whilst out training. According to reports it doesn't sound too good but let's all hope he recovers asap.

Bob

Sad news indeed. What with him and Chris Froome last week, it seems like a dangerous way to travel.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »
And Geraint Thomas and I think another rider in the Giro lost his life. Sad indeed.

B.
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:39 pm »

Bob
Didn't hear about it on the news, very sad news, i did route for him when he won his Moto GP world championship

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/former-motogp-champion-nicky-hayden-10454570

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 01:36:52 pm »
Just read on the news that Nicki Hayden is in an induced coma after having been knocked off his bicycle whilst out training. According to reports it doesn't sound too good but let's all hope he recovers asap ...

He is one of the nicest guys in bike racing, really hope he pulls through but it's not sounding good for him.  :-[

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:19 pm »
When you see the video of the state of the car that hit him I am surprised he even survived the impact.

Half the windscreen is shattered and forced inward and even the car roof is pushed back at the front and the steel is rippled!

I wouldn't like to impact like that in full motorcycle gear, let alone a cycle helmet.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:05 pm »
Just read on the news that Nicki Hayden is in an induced coma after having been knocked off his bicycle whilst out training. According to reports it doesn't sound too good but let's all hope he recovers asap ...

He is one of the nicest guys in bike racing, really hope he pulls through but it's not sounding good for him.  :-[

Nicky Hayden has died. Real shame.

Some tributes here:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/2017/may/the-paddock-reacts-to-news-of-nicky-haydens-death/

Let's hope some good comes from it for other cyclists around the world.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:00:45 pm by richtea »

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »
Big loss  :'(

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
Awful news ,Shocking. RIP Nicky.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:25 am »
Terribly sad.

This photo at the end of the 2016 Championship when his emotions came out will stay with me forever.

R.I.P.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 11:57:48 am »
Not many people survive the sort of head trauma that Nicky suffered and those that do have a very poor prognosis.

Michael Schumacher, with all his millions at his carers' disposal, still has a quality of life I would not want. And again, that was not doing the stuff he did on track.

In many ways, having suffered the accident, Nicky's passing is a blessed relief for him and his immediate family.

The tragedy is not in his dying, it is in the manner of his coming to grief, while out riding his bicycle.

A man who risked serious injury and death every day of his working life can't even be considered to be safe whilst on the roads. The lunatics are taking over the asylum!

R.I.P.