Author Topic: Motorcycle navigation systems rating  (Read 12409 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Motorcycle navigation systems rating
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:19:10 pm »
 Take a look in this link: bestmotorcyclegpsreviews.com

[Link fixed - hope that's OK. Admin]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:45:18 pm by richtea »
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Re: Motorcycle navigation systems rating
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:18:55 pm »
Costas, The link does not work.

Cheers

JS
JS

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:51:59 pm »
.....just cut and paste it.....?? It's only the hyperlink that's not active....

Offline jqworle

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1600GT Sport owner
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:57:43 pm »
Link works fine now. As an owner of a garmin Zumo 590lm , I find it pretty average .

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:16 am »
I have the Tomtom V5 and it's everything that I want it to be. I had a Garmin 660 for a while and whilst it is a good gizmo it did more than I needed and was not very intuitive. I found the Garmin rerouting, just bizarre. Which is why I went back to the Tomtom that I know and love.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:19 am »
I have the Tomtom V5 and it's everything that I want it to be. I had a Garmin 660 for a while and whilst it is a good gizmo it did more than I needed and was not very intuitive. I found the Garmin rerouting, just bizarre. Which is why I went back to the Tomtom that I know and love.

Same here Rae, I sold my Rider V2 and got a Nav IV (Garmin 660)because I had somehow been convinced that Garmin were far better, right from the off I realised I had made a large, very expensive mistake. Ive now sold the Nav IV and at the moment use the free app thats on me windows phone if I need it, but when and if I decide to get another, Tom Tom it will be.

The real joke was at the NEC show I went and spoke to Garmin on their stand about my disappointment with their product, notably the way it would re-draw the screen at the most inopportune moment(approaching a roundabout), and also about the Compass Heading arrow not appearing on my screen which was shown as a feature in the manual. I showed him the feature in the manual and handed him my Nav IV and said find it, after about 10 mins of him changing settings etc, he handed the Nav back to me and said, " ahh sorry, garmin have obviously removed that feature in an update, and the re-draw is normal, sometimes?.  Think I said something along the lines of  am I on the Garmin stand or Halfords, twat!
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:59:15 am »
 Noticed this in the Telegraph this morning:

Two American tourists ended up stranded after setting their satnav to a remote beauty spot because they needed a ferry boat to get there.

The satnav sent them onto a deserted beach where their car got stuck in the sand.

The couple, on holiday from Texas, were heading for Caldey Island, half a mile off the seaside resort of Tenby, west Wales.

But their sat nav didn't tell them they needed a ferry to reach the island and the boats don't even run at this time of year.

Whoops!
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:39 am »
I haven't got a satnav system yet must admit I do like getting the ole maps out and pouring over them for the best routes etc reckon I'm a tad old school here BUT I do feel that the time is approaching that I have to get one.
Looking at the review that Costas highlighted I see that there is only one Tomtom in it all the rest are Garmin is that because Garmin are the market leaders? I believe that the BMW satnav is also a Garmin under the guise of a BMW and far more spondulas as well.

So which one to go for? Tomtom appear to be marginally cheaper and I believe they make a dedicated motorcycle one (any good). What are the pitfalls I should be looking out for and does it just come down to £££££?

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 11:22:17 am »
Yes, like you Bob, maps have a certain 'old school' appeal and a lot more specific detail to boot ! Admittedly, that's maybe not of prime importance during riding when you only really need the basic, clear road directions. RIDE magazine recently also reviewed SatNavs for bikes and Garmin appeared to come out tops. Yes, the BMW satnav is just a re-badged Garmin unit. Very nice I'm sure, but one hell of a price.
I'm currently stuck trying to decide which one is better overall, TomTom or Garmin for bike use. Needless to say, I'm taking on board all other members opinions/views…!!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »
As I said earlier, having tried both Garmin and Tomtom it's Tomtom every time for me I have the Tomtom V5 which is the motorcycle one. I had the earlier V3 which was fine, however the V5 has a larger screen and some nice motorcycle and glove friendly features.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »
Happy with the 6 years old Garmin 550 , it was presented to me as a gift by BMW when I bought the first K13 in Greece, never get over the hole for its base in the tank cover so now use the Ilmberger carbon cover.
Use the satnav only when cruising in unfamiliar territory and it works great especially from the day I bought for 78 euros the lifelong subscription, so its now under Garmin Express being updated almost every three months and absolutely every January. Up to now no  glitches as the ones described above, yes its old with low capacity but still 100 songs and a good route explanation is all I need from it.
having said that found that the most stupid program is the one they give you with the satnav unit, with it you suppose after installing it in a pc to be able to manage your unit, plan routes, mark points of interest etc. Well 6 years now and still not satisfied with it almost impossible to use . Me too have exchanged some nasty emails with them but no use, they are people from another planet.
The European equivalent of GPS is still to come so until then I will stay with my Garmin.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:56:04 pm »
As I said earlier, having tried both Garmin and Tomtom it's Tomtom every time for me I have the Tomtom V5 which is the motorcycle one. I had the earlier V3 which was fine, however the V5 has a larger screen and some nice motorcycle and glove friendly features.
Rae & Tim, thanks for the helpful and useful comments. As you say, Garmin appears to be awash with extra gimmicks (not very helpful though it seems), and the bizarre re-routing aspect would soon annoy me. Time to take a closer look at TomTom me thinks...! Ta.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:26:42 pm »
I have a Garmin Zumo 500 which I'm quite happy with.

I've stuck with Mapsource so far because of the bad reports I've heard about Basecamp.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:13 am »
Just a quick question for those in the know…..do any of the bike SatNav units have a speaker, i.e. so that it could be used in the car when needed…?? It appears that the TomTom V5 doesn't. I'm not sure about Garmin units.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:12 am »
Garmin 550 (all Garmin) can be connected with a loudspeaker via the USB, it actually does with the Becker stereo of my car.
Embrace the wind.