General forum area > The Euro K Club Lounge

Would boots have lessend the injury

(1/2) > >>

raesewell:
If you are of a nervous disposition do not watch this video it contains very graphic content.
https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/538609/This-motorcyclist-and-his-stupidity-cause-terrible-accident/

Your thoughts.

richtea:
Extremely unpleasant to watch.
My thoughts are with his toes.  :(

Boots aren't the problem - lack of assessment & planning is.

He managed to tick at least 6 of Roadcraft's overtaking key safety points (let alone the ones about the right clothing).

Overtaking: key safety points

• Only overtake if you can see far enough ahead to be sure it's safe.
• Avoid causing other vehicles (overtaken, following or oncoming) to alter position or speed.
• Before you overtake, assess whether your machine is capable of the overtaking manoeuvre you're planning.
• Before starting to overtake, always ensure you can move back to the nearside in plenty of time.
• Always be ready to re-assess if a new hazard comes into view.
• Only overtake in situations where you won't come into conflict with other road users and it can be performed legally.
• When possible, avoid overtaking three abreast to leave yourself a margin of safety.
• Be aware of the potential dangers when filtering.
• On multi-lane carriageways, only overtake on the nearside if there are slow-moving queues of traffic and offside queues are moving more slowly.
• Never use the hard shoulder for overtaking.
• Consider signalling if it will benefit any other road user. Make sure that your signal is clear and can't be misinterpreted.
• Always be patient and leave a margin of safety to allow for errors.

raesewell:
Oh without a doubt Rich it was a bad overtake in the first place. I also think the oncoming car could have squeezed over a bit.

richtea:

--- Quote from: raesewell on April 01, 2024, 12:20:00 pm ---Oh without a doubt Rich it was a bad overtake in the first place. I also think the oncoming car could have squeezed over a bit.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. They were probably looking at their phone/satnav/infotainment centre. And bikes next to pantechicons probably look quite small from far away.

Two eejits meeting at one point in time and space. But the two-wheeled one was the bigger eejit, placing all trust in another road user.

The bike doesn't seem to speed up through the overtake which looks odd to me - there was no rush to complete the overtake until the last half second. Maybe - being generous - he had a mechanical issue?

raesewell:
It happened in Mexico I understand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version