Author Topic: Riding in the HEAT  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
Riding in the HEAT
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:23 pm »
Just wondering what gear folks wear when riding when it's getting 30 degrees and above. How do you best manage the comfort / protection thing?
Just your normal European touring stuff. However, having said that Pam and I were riding back across Germany from Slovenia in the summer of 2003 when there was a heatwave of 40+. Even when moving it was just like sitting behind a jet engine!

If I'm solo I can normally afford to take a couple of pairs of riding trousers, and at a push, two jackets (though I've only done that once). Last summer I used an ageing pair of IXS vented summer trousers. Not waterproof but I have some walking Goretex Paclite trousers which just fit over. Also an ageing BMW "Light n Easy" jacket with vented fabric on the cuffs, elbow pits and shoulders. It's waterproof apart from those bits so I wear a walking waterproof if it's tipping down. It's a pretty versatile jacket, well armoured but not made anymore.
This one...

Both of these bits of kit are on their last legs, specially the trousers (haha) so may need replacing before this summer. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting some Klim trousers. Probably the Overland model. I tried a pair on last week. Even with my short legs they were just right when sitting on the bike. Very robust and well vented. I quite like the idea of unlined trousers which you put some fleecy stuff on underneath for the winter. Hence, not just summer trousers.

I also normally wear an open face helmet in the summer. That's also getting very tatty inside so the trusty Cromwell may well be heading skipwards too...
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Riding in the HEAT
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:40:10 pm »
Believe me if you have to coop with temps above 40 for more that three months then no matter what you try is not helping. So, yes I have the summer vent jacket from , Dainese, from BMW, from Alpinestar, and the open gace helmets from BMW, from Airoh, from T-jet, but there are days that only a pair of shorts and a t shirt are more than enough. Yeah I know its a stupid way but its the only way. Having said that I prefer the car since riding without proper gear is like having an open invitation for the other side.
Love the summer jacket from BMW its light white and has all the protection. For the open helmets can say the same cause open means open so no real protection.
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »
We've done more than few trips across the Sierras in Spain and a couple scorchers down to Misano and Mugello in fact on the Mugello run I have photo of what started a couple days before as a brand new Road Smart and it started to discolour it was that hot sat out on the motorway at 3 figures for hours on end.

Gear wise helmet is an RX7GP with all the vents open you can have a man made tornado blowing through.

Jacket wise I discovered a quirk that the Germans have of a Half leather half material 3 quarter jacket with vents front and back will just about do with the front open as well at 35c plus.

Trousers? Not matter how hot nothing will prise me out of a pair of Dainese leathers and while I normally ride with them over my boots when it really starts to cook I'll have my boots on the outside.

Gloves wise we have both used Alpinestars 365's for some years but the moment it goes over 25 we both wear trials gloves.

Having said all of the above on trip to Mugello and then on to Barcelona when things got that bad we rode in tee shirts and strapped the jackets on the back.

Offline Lolo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:45:37 pm »
I had one of these cooling tie's  .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCB-NECK-COOLING-SCARF-COOLING-TIE-BUSHCRAFT-SURVIVAL-HIKING-WALKING-HEAT-RELIEF-/111476229348?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item19f48044e4 

.......  the picture doesn't really show it when soaked.  If you soak it for 20 minutes (or overnight) the gel holds water and keeps your main arteries in your neck cool and therefore your head cool for a good two hours. I wore mine while riding in Africa in August it was a life saver I think 38 degrees C by 11am.

I also wore ex army Afghanistan wicking T shirts I think they cost me about £5 . and then an armour suit. Also had a (pink) Camalbak on my tank so could drink while riding.

(picture below I hope Thanks for the help admin  :D )

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:25:05 pm »
Yes Lolo, I can second your comment re the cooling neck tie. My wife and I rode a rental trike through the Nevada desert last September with the OAT at 42 deg C !! Needless to say, the neck ties were an absolute gods end! Our attire (admittedly for trike riding) comprised armoured boots and jeans, long sleeve light coloured sweatshirt and the hideous regulation pi*$ pot helmet! Good ol' US design !! But, the open face helmet (resembled those cork affairs once seen here in the UK...!!) was good for getting max ventilation around the gills!!

PS  My avatar piccie shows the get up...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:13 pm »
When we went to Greece in 2013 we had the alps to cope with and then the Athens oven.

I wore my Halvarssons safety jacket (like three horse blankets sewn one inside the other) with the airflow outer and it was OK as long as we were moving but once in Athens I gave in.

Costas lent me his spare BMW Airflow jacket and I was so impressed I rushed to the dealers and bought one, on special offer I might add. In fact, three of us bought them. It was a life-saver, even without sliding down the road in it!

Armour in all the right places but totally free-flows the air through. Highly recommended as an every day jacket in the summer.

Brian (who overheats just getting his bike off the stand)