Author Topic: CE Level 2 gloves  (Read 12430 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: CE Level 2 gloves
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2021, 04:34:54 pm »
Surely a glove at Cat 2 is a glove at Cat 2.

The idea of the winter glove is that a google search pulled up the Frank Thomas pair of winter ones so maybe summer ones also.

You're right. My reason for looking for them was to help exclude some of the enormous choice.
A bit like Sharp for helmets, it's not the only meansurement of a good item, but it gives you some sort of base guide.

There is a slightly nicer / better(?) version here. The elasticated areas look like they're in the correct place, and some extra leather on the little finger:
https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/frank-thomas-ft-27-cat-2-gloves-black-17693?searchId=22430&variant=87627

Couldn't see any true summer gloves though.

Only one slight oddiity - why Category 2 and not Level 2? (with the worry that Cat 2 may mean something else - https://guidegloves.com/en/knowledge/our-products/standards/ce-categories, rather than https://mag.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/advice/motorcycle-glove-ce-markings-explained/).

I've emailed them to ask for confirmation.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2021, 04:51:08 pm »
What has brought on this search for super gloves Rich?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2021, 05:30:51 pm »
Possibly the 'best' constructed and armoured gloves I have are my Knox winter gloves...but they have that fabulous but stupid boa closing mechanism with a wind up button the back of the wrist and wire loops that enclose the plastic wrist 'gauntlets'.

But the mechanism is fiddly to use (with winter gloves on  ::) ) and the right thumb pinches a little? They are not CE anything but I always felt good in them until my thumb went numb  >:(

Ease of use in a glove is important because if they are fiddly the chances are you won't bother fiddling and then the safety is compromised. I have never cinched the wrist strap on any of the gloves I have that have the facility and in some way that must reduce the safety in a big one. But trying to do the right thing is like trying to put your own boxing gloves on, easy for the first hand...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2021, 07:06:57 pm »
What has brought on this search for super gloves Rich?

Good question!

I have a pair of summer gloves, but they're long in the tooth, and tighter than when originally purchased. Can your hands get fat? I wouldn't think so - but they're definitely tighter than they used to be.

Last time I bought gloves (winter ones 2 years ago*) I really struggled to find a decent size and design, so the double whammy of summer arriving and the Wramble upcoming meant a fresh summer pair would be welcome. Even in the Welsh rain. :P

I wrote the thread starter, and then coincidentally last week's MCN had a gloves article the day after (I get MCN free on the tablet, but on Thu/Fri), and that set me off on even more of a mission. I may need to get a life soon.

In terms of the reason for 'super' quality it's just how I'd pick a helmet or other kit - start with the item meeting a safety standard, and go up from there.
Turns out I tripped up at 'safety standard'.

> I've emailed them [J&S] to ask for confirmation [of Level 2 for the Frank Thomas gloves].

They confirmed the Frank Thomas gloves are CE Level 2. Swift work on a Saturday - commended.
Anyhooo, I've just ordered two sizes of these which are also CE Level 2: BKS 26 gloves, even though it's not a summer glove. It appears to be made to almost the same design as the Frank Thomas, but slightly better protection for another tenner. They both have to be badged J&S ones, since Rae said the BKS are J&S-owned.

In summary I've got distracted to just getting a CE level 2 glove of any form. but I'll come back to a summer equivalent at some point!

When the BKS ones arrive on Monday, I'll tell you if the quality & fit is good.

*Richa gloves, which seemed well made, but the lining has already started to give a little grief on the left paw.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 07:13:28 pm by richtea »

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2021, 08:49:09 pm »
Take a look here Rich for the real McCoy BKS
https://www.bksleather.co.uk/products-list/accessories/gloves

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 10:37:29 am »
Summer gloves tend to get sweaty and the goat or kangaroo or cat skin on the palms tends to shrink as they age and get pickled in the sweat.

I had a pair of excellent Teknic Violator (?) summer gloves which were excellent and vented but they rotted and eventually split on the base of the thumb.

Eventually I found a second-hand pair on fleabay, never worn as too small for the original owner and they are my second pair for the afternoons if my Alpinestars get manky in the mornings...

I can't be doing with wet hands, sweaty or pee'd on by the elephants, so on tour I always carry two pairs of summer gloves, one pair of waterproof 3-season gloves and a pair of neoprene lobster claw over-gloves, just in case. In the left Sport Case in fact...

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 11:25:56 am »
To combat smelly gloves, even before Covid I carried hand sanitiser. I find that if you give your hands a good slathering of hand sanitiser and get your gloves on before it evaporates it keeps them from smelling. I found that you only need to do this every couple of weeks. If your hands are particularly sweaty you may have to do this more often.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 12:20:29 pm »
I look forward to 'Glove Comparison 2021' as I have a new pair of those Knox things. Not handroids, but gauntlet versions of whatever I had before, with the boa.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 03:57:41 pm »
The Handroids are very attractive, and I did look at them. A lot. I mean who wouldn't want articulated exoskeletal bits!
But they're still CE level 1 even though they're on Mark 4 of the design. They've been tested to the latest CE level*, so they had the chance to test to Level 2.
But didn't.

This is the sort of thing I don't understand - are they weak gloves, are Knox too tight with the cash to test both levels, or is that Level 2 gloves are just too uncomfy?

*The Knox website says: 'A 15 test CE approval process gives external verification and covers materials, fit, cut, abrasion resistance, seam and tear strength and impact absorption. EN 13594- 2015'. That '2015' is the latest version, and has both levels defined in it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 04:28:34 pm »
It is economics you buffoon!

It isn't worth spending all that money and effort when you are the only person in the whole of motorcycling history who has asked about level 2 CE approval...

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 05:01:40 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 05:56:06 pm »
It is economics you buffoon!

It isn't worth spending all that money and effort when you are the only person in the whole of motorcycling history who has asked about level 2 CE approval...
Fair cop.  ;D

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2021, 07:14:38 pm »
More than happy with the offerings from Scott Leathers.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2021, 08:46:59 pm »
Here's a thought Rich, what about Stadler gloves, Stadler armour in their jacket and trousers exceeds level 2 by 60% it may be the same for their gloves.

https://www.motolegends.com/gloves?Brand=Stadler

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2021, 09:35:25 pm »
Here's a thought Rich, what about Stadler gloves, Stadler armour in their jacket and trousers exceeds level 2 by 60% it may be the same for their gloves.

https://www.motolegends.com/gloves?Brand=Stadler

https://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/product-detail-gloves-en/guard-gtx.html
Equipment section -> CE approved on EN 13594: 2015, Level 1

I'm very tempted to set up www.bestmotorcyclegloves.com::)