Author Topic: GPR Exhaust - poor man's Akro?  (Read 19549 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: GPR Exhaust - poor man's Akro?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 07:19:32 pm »
pity about that paint flaking but if you get no joy a coat or two of high temperature satin black will leave it in good shape again.

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to. For what I paid for the GPR silencer for my little Honda, I could have bought an entire, British made, Delcovic stainless steel 'system', header and all. But, the original was black and I wanted a black one and Delcovic didn't even have a plain ss in stock.

As I said before, the 'paint' finish was worn off the tip of my end cone when I took it out of the protective bag so I wasn't too impressed with the quality standard of the finish.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 08:14:07 pm »
Yeah it'll be like putting mascara over the pox scars, it'll still be discernable there unless I switch analogies and sand down everything around the circle of plasterboard I fixed into the whole the plasterer left.

No response yet, it's quite odd, being 2021 and all. Next I think is a review on the Google maps result which should prompt someone... In about 8 years when they turn their BBC Micro on again.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 08:21:03 am »
Well I emailed the people at https://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/ otherwise known as Moto-Legends (not the great clothing shop) with massive Samsung Galaxy S10 camera photos of my poor exhaust.

23rd Jan: Mail sent with photos and nice words and "I hope you can help".

26th Jan: A guy replies asking for "some bigger pics please Matt" [assuming he didn't know how to download attachments]
26th Jan: I reply nicely after taking two more photos and added them inline, full horror size 4032x1908.
4th Feb: I chase up asking for some help.
9th Feb: I chase up again via their online form, which says it goes to the same address.

So far, so disappointing.

@chriscanning, you're connected to everyone, can you fix this please?  :winkthumbs:

Edit: photos:

Hmmm now there’s a challenge, cannot see as the OE suppliers are going to have an answer as all they’ll supply is another flimsy Italian outer case or complete pipe and you’ll be back to square one before you know, the home work comes in stripping it sourcing same as rivets and do you go a paint finish or anodised.

Of course if you want to go the nuclear route....contact  MCN and complain, of course ultimately you’ll just end up with another crap finished end can.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 10:00:51 am »
Or a refund perhaps? Good point re MCN too thanks :). They do different finish materials I think also, so that could be an option...
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
A refund  :o best of luck.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 01:44:02 pm »
Fair point, they aren't John Lewis!

Their website says, re "how long is my guarantee" item in FAQ:

Quote from: naughty sausages
There is a minimum guarantee of 24 months. Proof of purchase is required. If there are clear manufacturing faults and you are the original owner we will repair or replace your GPR exhaust for as long as you keep it.

So, either straight replacement and sell it to somehow who doesn't ride their bike outside, or blag a cf one and see what problems that brings.

EDIT: If they ever respond. Maybe they're going out of business and so a bit busy.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 01:58:02 pm »
It’s OK you pointing the finger at the seller....i’d Be pointing the finger at you for buying tat and then complaining.

I’ve had a good look at the photos and that pipe and the rest of the bike has seen some weather...Akra quality costs Akra money...

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 02:45:46 pm »
Fancy, using a bike in "weather", disgraceful  ::)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 03:00:14 pm »
Haha :D

Well I bought a similarly priced SC Project and it lived fine in actual commuting for several years (and also living outside for several, undercover). As I said in my words above this hasn't been used for commuting, it is the apocalypse, and this one has seen about 500 miles use. I agree that it has seen "some weather" because some weather is anything in an atmosphere. And then it has sat in a humidity controlled garage. So to be sure, I am pointing the finger at the seller/manufacturer, but I didn't buy a knock-off Chinese thing from eBay for 50 quid and then get upset when it set fire to my family. Is this unreasonable?

But hey, it's 2021 and the age of judgement so ok :P. Or the age of sentences that don't say anything. I'm a fan of those too. I've had a look in the oven and my food has seen some heat. Do you think it's ready? It's a Beko oven if that helps :/

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2021, 03:24:38 pm »
Bear in mind that a) I bought one from the same outfit and b) I buy a lot of Chinese tat off fleabay.

Being an island, there is an awful lot to be said for buying UK made tat because then you can sling it in the back of the car and go and have a nice word with guys who made it assuming the guys who sold it don't come good.

Or, you (and I) could have bought it off Amazon...

Just saying and bear in mind my caveats at a) and b) above.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2021, 03:28:45 pm »
 :) :) :) :) You can can dance around your handbags as much as you like... who the hell buys a painted end can where it’s always going to getting a kicking..out of 6 bikes i’ve Got two carbon(Akra) and the other 4 are stainless, its not even down to ‘Like’ just down to what wears well.

Hey you never know strip the paint off before the stones do and have polished up,might be something decent under there, or as I said before or get the body anodised...hardly rocket science taking it apart.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:33:29 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2021, 03:39:10 pm »
:) :) :) :) You can can dance around your handbags as much as you like... who the hell buys a painted end can where it’s always going to getting a kicking..out of 6 bikes i’ve Got two carbon(Akra) and the other 4 are stainless, its not even down to ‘Like’ just down to what wears well.

Hey you never know strip the paint off before the stones do and have polished up,might be something decent under there, or as I said before or get the body anodised...hardly rocket science taking it apart.

Sorry Chris, I think my last post must not be displaying properly as you seem under the impression it's had a kicking or a hard life. I've done about 500 miles with it. Whilst having you strapped to the side of my bike for that for could be considered a kicking or a hard life indeed, I don't think it counts in this case.

And to borrow your needlessly insulting approach to posts:
Who the hell replies ignoring the facts and being needlessly insulting?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2021, 03:43:41 pm »
 :) :) :)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 03:50:27 pm »
Matt

What do you expect?

If you are under 25 and just starting out in life and learning the hard way...then i’ll Take it all back, but after a certain... Blimey... i’ve Been there just like everyone else and if I never listened too my old man about anything else...Buy good Buy once.

You only have to see what quality exhaust cost, now of course one could assume quality exhaust people are ripping us off, but i’ve Never had a good’un thats a dud, and yes i’ve Bought plenty of crap in my time...hence my current approach...I think the modern expression is...Evolution  :)

Judging by how many have already had the Covid, youth is not a common product on here so Age is no excuse  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2021, 04:03:13 pm »
I don't expect it to fail in 500 miles! Sheesh kebab Chris. I get you're saying it's a finish you think is not durable. But we're not here talking about a 10k miles failure, we're not talking about an intrinsic problem with this type of finish. We're talking about a failure in 500 miles! It's a failure of this specific physical item.

Now if you're telling me everyone making a black alloy exhaust accepts that they'll fail in this kind of mileage... Well patently that's not how a business would work. They'd refuse to put a warranty on it for one.

It feels like you're telling me I should know not to buy black exhausts like I know not to walk in the middle of the road. Which is all fine and good in our areas of experience and expertise. Firstly I've had akra and sc, and wanted to try something new.

Secondly everyone has their own area of expertise and experience, but there's nicer ways of sharing that than "who the hell does x?" I know if you build an integration layer using xml based Web services you're a {edited swear out here} silly sausage in my opinion, but I'd approach it as a nice human instead. And I never know, maybe they're just integrating a PoS to a basic insights platform, their traffic is low and really it isn't that big a deal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:18:49 pm by Matt »