Author Topic: BMW Alarm on K1300S with RDC (TPMS)  (Read 14661 times)

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Re: BMW Alarm on K1300S with RDC (TPMS)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »
So how much would a retro-fit alarm cost me all in?

Offline panman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mra screen givi top box center stand frame and tank protectors
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 05:36:35 pm »
just a point I am lead to believe the bmw alarm is not Thatcham approved hence most
insurance companies don't discount for it mine certainly didn't.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:13 pm »
So how much would a retro-fit alarm cost me all in?

Motorworks just quoted me £75 for a K1300S alarm with RDC (TPMS). Oh, and plus £10 for the plip? Oh, and you need to get it coded at the stealer's.

With or without RDC, they quote the same price.

Beian (who still doesn't understand but probably knows a man who does  :( )

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 07:31:20 pm »
Mmmm - I'm sure I was charged c£220 when I had mine fitted to my "new" K in October 2014...and that has the TPM

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:37 pm »
I remember a long discussion about Thatcham,  and can reply to it. That UK contractor hired by the government responding to a request by British law and the insurance companies requires an annual fee and beta models from alarm manufactures to be included in their list of abroved companies.
The fee is not the case , definitely BMW Motorrad can afford it , but the BETA model rases the issue of copy right protected under the German law. This is a case that if brought to the European Court it's a definite loss for Thatcham and it's protectors.
Imagine that the company aproves GT alarms when at the same time does not aprove the BMW one wich is made made under agreement by the same company GT.   
EU crap again in my opinion and money in pockets of many in UK.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:01:50 am by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »
Mmmm - I'm sure I was charged c£220 when I had mine fitted to my "new" K in October 2014...and that has the TPM

That's the new price including the plips and the coding etc. etc.

The Motorworks price was for a second hand (pre-loved) unit, £75 plus £10 for ONE plip all of which needs fitting and coding! Good news is there is no VAT on alarm units!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 12:41:31 am »
Have you had an alarm fitted Brian?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 09:19:47 am »

The Motorworks price was for a second hand (pre-loved) unit, £ŷ75 plus £10 for ONE plip all of which needs fitting and coding! Good news is there is no VAT on alarm units!

Argh - thanks,

I didn't even think of sourcing  a "used" alarm.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 10:10:25 am »
Have you had an alarm fitted Brian?

Not yet Tom, hopefully in the process of it!

I have access to a Windows laptop for a few hours this weekend so I can fire up the RepROM and dig out all the torques I haven't used fitting all the bits and bobs( ;D) and see what it says about the alalrm fitting process to boot!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 10:12:08 am »

The Motorworks price was for a second hand (pre-loved) unit, £ŷ75 plus £10 for ONE plip all of which needs fitting and coding! Good news is there is no VAT on alarm units!

Argh - thanks,

I didn't even think of sourcing  a "used" alarm.

It is easy to overlook the obvious! It's not like they wear out or anything and the coding is easy enough to get sorted by your local stealer!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
Agh this reminds me to find the manual for mine.  Sometimes nothing flashes, sometimes it beeps at me, sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 11:37:42 am »
The con with the alarm, as I found out after I had mine fitted, is that it switches itself off after a few days....

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 12:24:28 pm »
There is nothing in the reprom on alarm unit simply cause the manufacturer GT provides hard copies of instructions only. 
The dealer only has a detail installtion copy.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 01:34:41 pm »
The con with the alarm, as I found out after I had mine fitted, is that it switches itself off after a few days....

Yep! About 7 days. Even if you have it on an Optimate. It is to save bike battery life.

The answer is to re-activate once a week. If mine isn't being used I just turn it on, then set the alarm when I turn it off.

Living under a cover, I always check it is still my bike under there and not some cardboard cut-out. This happened to a mate of mine back in my air force days. Bike parked outside mess, under cover. Guy went out to go home on it one weekend and all that was under the cover was a pile of cardboard boxes biffed into a rough bike shape! Bastards!

Brian (who would rather the alarm turned off than flattened his battery  :( )