Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Owlrider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Motorsport. K1300s 30th. K1300s HP
Hello all
« on: July 27, 2021, 07:41:10 am »
Hi everybody,
I’m a UK- based (Devon) newcomer to this forum, having recently acquired a 2013 K1300s to add to my 1250RT. Very pleased with this fantastic bike (black ABS model) which has only had two previous owners and just 19k on the clock. Sadly, it’s full BMW service history didn’t include having the seemingly notorious hot start issue fixed, which I found out to my embarrassment when I stalled it at traffic lights recently! Onwards and upwards.
The path is clear
Though no eyes can see
The course laid down long before

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:32:54 am »
Welcome in Pete, you have saved me sending my usual welcome message as you seem to have done everything I ask in that message.  :winkthumbs:
I doubt your local dealer will fix the hot start issue for free after all this time. However the extra loom is available.

I will add you to the Members map. I have put you in the middle of Devon, if you let me have your town I can place it a bit more accurately.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:35:50 am by raesewell »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 09:31:42 am »
Welcome Mr Owl! :)

Rae is likely correct re dealer unless they really really take a shine to you :p.

Which colour is the bike? Edit: I can't read
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:41:35 pm by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:02:55 am »
Hello and welcome. It's good to hear that you've bought one of the faster colours.  ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Owlrider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Motorsport. K1300s 30th. K1300s HP
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:47:04 am »
Welcome in Pete, you have saved me sending my usual welcome message as you seem to have done everything I ask in that message.  :winkthumbs:
I doubt your local dealer will fix the hot start issue for free after all this time. However the extra loom is available.

I will add you to the Members map. I have put you in the middle of Devon, if you let me have your town I can place it a bit more accurately.

Many thanks Rae - have updated profile. Will see how I get on with the dealership. It’s booked in next month for them to do diagnostics. In the meantime, motto is don’t stall it in traffic, particularly when there is a bus behind, as there was the other day. Managed to safely push it into a side road and it started normally about 15 minutes later after a few aborted attempts. The private seller I bought it from has said he will pay if BMW decline to, which is highly commendable of him. Good guy 😀
The path is clear
Though no eyes can see
The course laid down long before

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 12:32:00 pm »
Before my hot start was fixed, I stupidly stalled in the massive queue into Santa Pod! Had to push it through to a payment kiosk. Embarrassed or what! It started as soon as I paid, so maybe people thought I'd switched off on purpose?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 02:43:52 pm »
Some have cured the hot start by fitting an Odyssey battery, I'm not sure they do one to fit the S, I had one on my GT.

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 04:43:30 pm »
Hot start - been there. Mine was fixed by BMW about 1.5 years back.
They wanted £350 for the fix. All the explaining, hands and knees, pointing out its a known issue / recall... etc etc wasn't going to change their mind. So good luck.
I did point out that i've extended warranty with them - so they fixed it for the £100 excess.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 05:12:52 pm »
Hot start - been there. Mine was fixed by BMW about 1.5 years back.
They wanted £350 for the fix. All the explaining, hands and knees, pointing out its a known issue / recall... etc etc wasn't going to change their mind. So good luck.
I did point out that i've extended warranty with them - so they fixed it for the £100 excess.

Welcome!

Ditto - my fix was done under extended warranty when the bike was ~3 years old. They may not be so amenable with older bikes, but if you've already got the extended warranty there's no harm in asking.
I'd be sure to let them know it could be dangerous - I stalled whilst filtering on a dual carriageway, rolling up to traffic lights, and had cars going to the left & right of me at 60mph. Eeek.

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 05:17:47 pm »
Welcome Pete.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright