Author Topic: 1st post - High Idle, but can drop away after a few min and has stalled out once  (Read 6258 times)

Coully

Hi folks, so...having had a wee looky on here I'm starting to get an idea of what could be a possible problem and its solution.
My 06 K1200s with circa 13000 miles starts and idles, not terribly smoothly at around 1500-1700rpm... i let it warm up a bit in the mornings before my 10 mile commute and a couple of times it the revs have dropped down and its stalled out.
In the 3000rpm range it runs a little unevenly.
Open throttle in higher revs/cruising its fine (riding it up from nottingham I did notice perhaps a bit vibration over 80mph..so i just sat below that for the run back to aberdeen), however on closed throttle it can pa pa paaa pa pa on engine braking and be jerky.
It was in to get all its recalls done that it hadn't   :o :
"I am responding to your live chat enquiry to John Clark BMW Aberdeen.

The bike has 5 outstanding quality enhancements/recalls they are for the following :
Replacing relay lever at rear spring strut
Renewing wheel flange
Retrofit, screen insert for reservoir for brake fluid and loose-leaf insert, Rider's Manual
Retrofitting chain guide
Checking fuel-pump unit" (i got a new pump and they recommended new electrics while they were in there so only had to pay for the part)

In a phone call the idling was mentioned that they would have to investigate

I apologise this is all over the place, just trying to get this done before i leave work ;) for the night.
If i'm honest i might have bought a wee bit of a pig in a poke, given the low mileage and lack of recalls done (the buttons on the switchgear are quite faded compared to others of the same age i've seen)

I've had a wee shot at the normal throttle position sensor (ignition on and open/close the throttle)...not really accomplished anything

My thoughts have been ECU?...and reading here, airbox & ICV. They would seem to be the easist fixes regarding cost/time/fettling

Any and all suggestions welcome.
I'm already watching EBAY for all manner of parts etc...mainly the final drive  :)... just in case.
What little history i have of the bike shows it getting to 10k miles then slowing down drastically.. and at one point 2 mots have a years gap in between them and its only done 900miles in that time.
i'm Thinking that things were going wrong and it was basically kept but not worked on....then sold on ...and sold on.

Bodywork wise and underneath the fairing its pretty tidy ... only slight signs of rust on obvious bolts.

I'll stop now as i'm confusing myself but any queries , if ive missed anything just ask away.

regards
Dunc

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Coil? Spark plug?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Coils were my first punt in Dunc's first post.

However, the idle on initial start-up is very high. It should be 11-1200.

Check the simple items first Dunc. Althouh the ICV is a wee bit of a pig to get at (tank panels off, tank out), it is straightforward and it is then a reasonable job to drop the ICV and give it a thorough check over. Also at that point you will know whether you have the original box and ICV or the newer, updated one.

The plugs and coils are a slightly more complex job and quite costly if it is the coils.

Coully

I'll bet good money it's the original icv and box

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Having changed the ICV lately during the major rebuilt I've noticed high revs in the area of 1500 for about 10-20 seconds depending on the ampient temperature , after that idle stabilizes to 1050  rpms.
Coils are my second guess and stalling is a clear indocation for such am issue. If you wait a bit as i did in a couple of months one cylinder will stop working and then you would be sure its coils. BERU offers their product at a price around 55euros each, if the 0,3 mv deferance doesn't mean anything to you , and why it should ? , then go for them. In a small corner of your mind keep a note that those 0,3 mv would effect performance when you press bike at it's limits.
Embrace the wind.

Coully

Cheers Costas.
The revs have stayed high for the most part (they did drop to normal "ish" the other night, it was getting a bit cooler that evening on the ride home) I've had the bike approaching a month and its only stalled the twice i think, when i've left it to warm up.
Meant to say also, fuel economy has been a bit poor too, I got it to just over 120 miles before filling up on the ride up from nottingham, town commuting tho i'm barely making 90miles before its wanting a drink.

Do Haynes or Clymer make a manual for the k1200s? Whilst i dont want to dick about with it too much i think i could manage the airbox and icv maybe but a manual would help.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:46:16 am by raesewell »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
The manual for the K1200 is RepRom available from you dealer for megabucks or a pirate copy available from Ebay for much less.

Coully

need a thumbs emoji!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A simple, thank you would suffice.

Coully

in that case, cheers min! ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1. Find a thumbs up image, and get it's actual images URL address, by using right mouse button -> Copy image location or similar (Brian's mileage may vary there)
A good place to hunt them down is emojipedia.org

2. Paste the URL address into your reply. For example:
https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/apple/155/thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

3a. Select the URL i.e. highlight the text, and click the 'Insert image' button:
[img]https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/apple/155/thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png[/img]
Or
3b. Simply add the '[img]' and '[/img]' around the URL address by hand.

4. Preview - can you see the image?

5. Post

6. Decide if this was all worth it, just to amuse Rae.

Yessssss, of course it was!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We are not amused  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
I still haven't got my very un-PC Adolf back from the old site, despite having got all the original emoticons in a file and stuffed em in the new site. Well, OK, Martin stuffed em in the new site.

Coully

New coils ordered...and new plugs ...and a new(to me idle control valve).. and just going to get all that done in a one-er and see if that sorts her out :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Did you determine if you have the new or old airbox fitted. The ICV's are different between the two and neither will fit the other.